TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Secret Florida Attractions

Did you know that there are several sites in Florida relevant to a typical TPR member's interests located outside of the mainstream theme parks? Oh, you already knew that? Well...uhm...here's a topic about them anyway. Post your favorite off-the-beaten-path attraction located in Florida here.

Many of these places are in Florida state parks, especially those that are centered around freshwater springs (Florida has over 700 of them). A few of those used to have theme park-adjacent operations, but have since been taken over by the state, but because cash is king, some aspects of those original entertainment venues are still run.

Examples:

Silver Springs

Main attraction: glass-bottom boats

The glass-bottom boat was invented there in 1878, and hence makes this operation the oldest commercial tourist attraction in Florida.

Homosassa Springs

Main attraction: manatees

The park operates like a small zoo and they have daily manatee feedings at the spring, which makes this one of the best places in the state to see manatees in a natural setting.

Weeki Wachee Springs

Main attraction: mermaids

Yep, mermaids. There is an underwater observatory at the base of the spring and mermaids do shows multiple times a day (get in line well before the observatory opens for the next show, as it's not very big and fills up quickly).

Pic is of the glass-bottom boat dock at Silver Springs.

DSC05826.thumb.JPG.fac68e11914d9f7937cc25c982f434e9.JPG

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another neat one is Bok Tower Gardens. It's a botanical garden located on the highest point in the Florida Peninsula (the highest point in the state of Florida is in the panhandle on the border with Alabama) not far from Legoland. The pic is the centerpiece: a large carillon bell tower that chimes several times per day. There are no rides, but then again, there are no big crowds either. It's definitely a peace >>>>>> excitement sort of place.

DSC04261.thumb.JPG.41c090a5e1b1093ba9a8daeb19726a39.JPG

Let's not forget Gatorland. Its main attraction is its alligator feedings, where they drop food into a pond and you can watch several dozen alligators go int a feeding frenzy over it. Fun fact: footage from Gatorland was used in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (you'll never guess which scene). They also have a small train ride that traverses through an enclosed gator habitat and several zip lines over the gator ponds.

DSC02036.thumb.JPG.b291159c9f70b4662bbf1b1829ec5409.JPG

Cedar Lakes Woods And Gardens

This is an old limestone rock quarry turned into various gardens with trails and man-made waterfalls. There are also many birds, domesticated cats (there's a cat house) & reptiles (mostly tortoise & turtles) that call it home.

It's located about 20 miles SW of Gainesville in Williston. It's a 19.2 mile drive from exit 382 (Williston Rd) off I-75.

Address: 4990 NE 180th Ave, Williston, FL, 32696

Carson Springs Wildlife Conservation

Originally a big cat rescue, it has expanded it's collection to various other exotic animals who have been rescued from people who couldn't take care of them as well as road-side attractions and defunct zoos. They do require reservations, but offer a spring and fall open house where anyone can come for a lower requested donation. I went last fall and it was very well put together. All the animals are very well taken care of and all enclosure surfaces are natural material/grass/dirt (no cement).

It's located 4 miles west of US 301 near Waldo (NE of Gainesville).

Address: 8528 E. COUNTY ROAD. 225, GAINESVILLE, FL 32609

Speaking of Florida Easter eggs, the Cypress Gardens botanical gardens area of Legoland Florida sort of falls into that category. It first opened in 1936 with just the botanical gardens, but later added the water ski show and much later added rides including roller coasters. When Legoland took it over, the original botanical gardens were preserved (partly because the local city government owns it) and are included with Legoland admission. The water ski show also survives, though with Lego twists.

Because of the age of the gardens, Legoland Florida can be considered the oldest theme park in Florida.

DSC08694.thumb.JPG.0a199b8e9f9431a4a68859cb36cab101.JPG

This one might be a little outside of what people are thinking of, but I'll share it because it is fascinating and located in Florida. If time permits take a tour of Amelia Island. There is a lot of awesome history there about how Florida was very briefly kind of (but not really) a sovereign nation called the Republic of Florida. The "nation" was founded by Gregor MacGregor who seized a fort on Amelia island and then basically named himself the ruler of his now sovereign kingdom. Nobody, other then the 75 or so men at his command, really supported MacGregor in this endeavor, however he was liked (for a while at least) by Simon Bolivar and did have a small role in the Spanish American Revolution. When the going got rough, MacGregor literally boarded a boat while his baffled solders wondered where he was going. Slaughter ensued.

Nothing to do with Florida, but later in life MacGregor wound up running one of the greatest cons in history selling huge amounts of land in the nation of Poyais. Never heard of Poyais? That's because it's not actually a place. It was a totally fictional nation that people immigrated to and tried to settle while MacGregor took in huge profits.

I know it isn't a theme park, but if you're in Florida and have time check some of this stuff out. It's a very fun bit of history that virtually nobody really knows about.

This is another one not many know about. Sarasota Jungle Gardens. It's in Sarasota, about an hour south of Tampa. They have a some animal shows and exhibits and you can feed the Flamingos. They will actually eat out of your hand. The park also has nice botanical gardens you can walk through. The last time I was there (2004), they had some live parrots in the gift shop that would talk to you. The kids loved it. They don't have any rides or at least they didn't last time i was there.

http://www.sarasotajunglegardens.com/

This one might be a little outside of what people are thinking of, but I'll share it because it is fascinating and located in Florida. If time permits take a tour of Amelia Island. There is a lot of awesome history there about how Florida was very briefly kind of (but not really) a sovereign nation called the Republic of Florida. The "nation" was founded by Gregor MacGregor who seized a fort on Amelia island and then basically named himself the ruler of his now sovereign kingdom. Nobody, other then the 75 or so men at his command, really supported MacGregor in this endeavor, however he was liked (for a while at least) by Simon Bolivar and did have a small role in the Spanish American Revolution. When the going got rough, MacGregor literally boarded a boat while his baffled solders wondered where he was going. Slaughter ensued.

Nothing to do with Florida, but later in life MacGregor wound up running one of the greatest cons in history selling huge amounts of land in the nation of Poyais. Never heard of Poyais? That's because it's not actually a place. It was a totally fictional nation that people immigrated to and tried to settle while MacGregor took in huge profits.

I know it isn't a theme park, but if you're in Florida and have time check some of this stuff out. It's a very fun bit of history that virtually nobody really knows about.

I've heard of that place. You think Six Flags is impressive? This island had EIGHT flags.

This one might be a little outside of what people are thinking of, but I'll share it because it is fascinating and located in Florida. If time permits take a tour of Amelia Island...

I've been meaning to take a day trip to Amelia Island/Fernandina Beach. I usually end up going to St. Augustine and the beaches south of there to explore. I will make an effort to visit soon....it's only and hour and a half (if that) from me.

Another notable Florida state park that used to be a small theme park/roadside attraction is Rainbow Springs. It's one of the largest springs in the state, and its most notable features are its man-made waterfalls, which are surviving elements from its theme park days (in its heyday, it also had paddle wheel boats, a small zoo, a rodeo, mermaid encounters, submarines, and even a small monorail). It's near the city of Dunnellon, whose name I believe is derived from a French word meaning "ass end of nowhere".

DSC03674.thumb.JPG.81906b29c0bf4a7e023616e73c56ea2a.JPG

In Largo in the Tampa Bay Area there is the Armed Forces History Museum with tons of weapons, tanks, and other vehicles with a focus on major 20th century american wars. One of my favorite parts was the full-scale World War I trench you can walk through. It has mustard gas attack demos, as well.

DSC00889.thumb.JPG.ae978a939bce390919efc8ebcc5b7b7c.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure how secret these are,but I'll give a "shout out" to The Monkey Jungle,Parrot Jungle,and Miami Metrozoo.I haven't been to Florida in years,but these were fun attractions;of course this was back before Animal Kingdom was built.

• 2 weeks later...

Let's talk about Tarpon Springs, Florida, shall we?

It's a small city north of Tampa and it's famous for being a center for the natural sponge harvesting industry started by Greek immigrants over a century ago. They have several boat tours available, but the St. Nicholas Boat Line (in the pic) uses the older wooden boats and has a guy that does sponge diving demos in the old-timey diving suit. Also near the boat tours are several Greek restaurants and of those, Hellas is the original one (don't forget to visit their bakery). There are also seafood restaurants like Rusty Bellies, which harvests its own seafood via a little boat dock behind it. There is also a VERY small aquarium, the Tarpon Springs Aquarium, which is a great place to kill some time while you wait for Rusty Bellies to page you that your table is ready (the restaurant and aquarium are one block from each other). There are also several neat, old historic buildings in the Downtown area south of the Sponge Docks area.

DSC03086.thumb.JPG.d2784e66b5e494eac6686a451294f5cd.JPG

Washington Oaks Gardens State Park

https://www.floridastateparks.org/park/Washington-Oaks

Located about 20 miles south of Saint Augustine, near Palm Coast along A1A is Washington Oaks Gardens State Park. The main draw here is the beautiful manicured formal gardens. It's a great place to take a leisurely stroll through the grounds, have a picnic, hike the different trails, bird watching or even catch some fish along the Matanzas River. On the ocean side of the park is the other main draw; the coquina rock formations.

IMG_1583.thumb.JPG.3f7a4eaac38915e85ffd40f1d7edc783.JPG

IMG_1641.thumb.JPG.11ece32ff2e9b57bdd1cf29cd689c776.JPG

IMG_1644.thumb.JPG.0edae6027745f9e7e4803c91b73be914.JPG

IMG_1648.thumb.JPG.cfa4b61f894bfefc434b06d74fa22e85.JPG