Photo TR: Theme parks in Florida

An international point of view
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Re: Photo TR: Theme parks in Florida

Postby bert425 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:47 am

These are some great pics.

wow.. you have quite the eye!

Thanks for sharing, I love seeing places I've not been, and since Hubby is not a HP fan (and can't do "extreme" rides, he always vetoes pics to Universal.. .i know. . boooo).

Love these tho. . so pretty!
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Postby XSupremacy » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:31 am

The car in front of Mel's Diner shot was the best. Always have loved American Graffiti
https://coasterdemon.com/
1 Steel. The Joker SFDK
1 Wood. Ghostrider (after GCI rehab)

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:50 am

Also, I just want to add, I love your take on the culture and America/Americans as well. Please continue that.

BTW, our money is terrible! I want cool Monopoly money like the rest of the world has!

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Re: Part I: Universal Studios Florida

Postby michaellynn4 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:11 am

Excellent report and photos! I look forward to seeing more!

I really liked seeing your perspective on various aspects of American culture. As someone who worked in the food service industry for over ten years, I especially appreciate this:

multimueller wrote:“Yes” is not a valid reply to “Forhereortogo?”

If I had a dollar for each time I received that response, I'd be retired by now.
DFTBA: Don't Forget to be Awesome.
#1: Skyrush

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby viking86 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:05 pm

Awesome photos! And yes, I can definitely relate to some of your points about being a tourist in the US... ;)

Looking forward to see more! =)

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:28 pm

cfc wrote:I particularly liked the shot of Rockit.

Same that was my favorite as well. Looking forward to seeing more TRs from you!
Top 5 Wood- Phoenix, Boulder Dash, El Toro, Voyage, Cornball Express
Top 5 Steel- Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, New Texas Giant, Millennium Force
Top 5 Parks- Disneyland, Knoebels, Cedar Point, Magic Kingdom, Busch Gardens Williamsburg

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Mystic.TIMBR » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:39 am

I might...MIGHT be going down to florida and I have to make a choice. Disney, Universal or sea world. Which should I definitely go to? :?r

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby anonymouscactus » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:38 am

Love your perspective, comparisons, and photos!

Harry Potter is a sick donkey.

Time for "Oh my god, I've never seen something like this"

Postby multimueller » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:07 am

Alright, let’s move on to another park, shall we? Do you remember the time, when every new coaster was exiting and also scary? Back in 2001 – when I visited Universal Orlando for the first time – my “coaster career” basically consisted of the “Gebirgsbahn”, “Space Center” and the “Michael Jackson Thrillride” in Phantasiand. And “Python” in De Efteling. When I saw the green track of the Hulk Coaster for the first time, my only thought was “hell no, there is no way ever I will be riding that thing”. Two years later I was riding that thing.

You never forget your first B&M. When it came to coasters with inversions I was used to be beaten up on rides like the SLC prototype in Walibi World. You can imagine my amazement when experiencing the smoothness of this green swiss made roller coaster for the first time. And the whole park blew me away, with attractions like “Spider Man” that are still so technologically advanced that they represent a league of their own. On rides like Popeye and Dudley-Do-Right I learned what Americans mean, when they say “You will get wet”. And when the Harry Potter Area opened some years later, it redefined “immersion” for me.

But we germans are known for beeing champions of complaining for a reason: Over the years and with quite a number of visits, I realized that where light is, there is also some shadow:

• While I do not know any other park that will fascinate first-time visitors that much, “Islands of Adventure” wears off pretty fast. While most of the Disney attractions offer some solid “re-rideability” the rides here are grow old rather fast.
  • The park is not very friendly to your stomach. Okay, it’s not a roller-coaster-only Six Flags, but most of the attractions will cause quite some nausea. And there is a lack of “nice” relaxing rides, as long as you do not want to get soaking wet. That’s why I love the new Kong ride.
  • “Islands of Adventure” does not give you the “full day of fun” experience like Epcot or the Magic Kingdom (which can also be a good thing). If I hit the park on a slow day, I try to be there early, ride the Hulk, ride Spider Man (Nausea starts to kick in), ride Kong (love it), ride Jurassic Park (got lucky: not soaked this time!), ride Harry Potter (Nausea getting worse), ride the Dragons (I think I need a break now). By then it’s 11am and basically all the “big” attractions are done.

On the plus side, I totally love “Mythos” and no visit to Islands of Adventure feels complete without a lunch at one of the best theme park restaurants. This is something, most Germans will not expect in a Theme Park: great food. While some places like Europa Park and Phantasialand do offer some great restaurants, most people here will think of “Pommes mit Currywurst” (french fries with sausage) when it comes to eating in a park.

I also cannot relate to all the themed “lands” in the park. While Harry Potter and Jurassic Park really give me a feeling of “riding the movies” (walking through the Jurassic Park gates gives me goosebumps every time) “Dr. Seuss Landing” was my very first contact with the stories of Theodor Seuss Geisel (fun fact: did you know the german word “Geisel” means “hostage”?). And while I certainly knew Spider Man and the Hulk I never heard of those “X-Men” guys. A batch of Marvel Movies did change that though.

I think “Islands of Adventure” makes a great combination with “Universal Studios” and the “Hogwarts Express” makes reaching each other easy. The attractions are not actuallly “stomach friendly”, especially when you have to cope with the jump in temperature and humidity and suffer from that jet lag that makes you super-hungry at 11am and sleepy all day. But the rides make up by being “oh my god I’ve never seen such a thing in my whole life”.

Orlando 2015 Herbst - 025 - Incredible Hulk Coaster.jpg
Let's begin with the Hulk, or better "The New Hulk"

Orlando 2015 Herbst - 022 - Incredible Hulk Coaster.jpg
Riding through the tunnel - amazing

Orlando 2016 - 149 - Dragon Challenge.jpg
Sticking to B&M coasters: here are the not-dueling-anymore Dragons

Orlando 2016 - 150 - Dragon Challenge.jpg
It's really a shame!

Orlando 2016 - 156 - Popeye and Blutos Bilge Rat Barges.jpg
You will get wet.

Orlando 2011 Regina - 036 - Universal.jpg
Visiting hogwarts

Orlando Halloween 2010 - 047.jpg
Mr. Dumbledore is not in his office today.

Orlando 2016 - 146 - Hogwarts Express.jpg
The friendly conductor, or as we say "Thank you for Deutsche Bahn"

Orlando 2016 - 034 - Jurassic Park River Adventure.jpg
Welcome to Jurassic Park

Orlando 2016 - 033 - Jurassic Park River Adventure.jpg
Where they will spit at you before trying to eat you

Orlando 2015 Herbst - 050 - Skull Island- Reign of Kong.jpg
Kong is King and Kong is pissed

Orlando 2016 - 035 - Poseidons Fury.jpg
The better of the two shows in the park

Orlando Halloween 2010 - 028.jpg
Light is fading

Orlando 2013 - 045.jpg
We close with a nice nightshot of the hulk

Girls don't like me because I can play RCT better than you

Postby TheCoasterKid211 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:19 pm

That last shot is my new desktop wallpaper. Awesome photos! :p
| |Alpengeist| |Cheetah Hunt| |Kumba| |Mako| |Intimidator 305| |
"Yeah, I like coasters. Yes, I'm a kid. Don't know what the 211 means, but whatever." Check out my TR thread!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!