TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cinecittà World opens its Ben Hur set and 6 new attractions!

Just when you thought the park was gonna end up being the next Hard Rock Park, thanks to the park's new manager Mr. Cigarini, they've made some considerable improvements, which have only been announced slightly over a week ago in a press conference in Rome. Such improvements include new attractions, themeing upgrades, ride renames (Darkmare -> INFERNO) (Erawan -> Indiana Adventure) and viability improvements (more about that later).

Firstly, the Ben Hur set. In the 2016 reboot of the movie, the Chariot scene was filmed on a set half a kilometer away from the park. This year, they've made that set into an attraction, and is the biggest new "ride" they're putting in this year. Basically you wait in line in a queueline placed near the Mack SuperSplash (Aktium), then they drive you to the set by van, dress you up with a Roman costume, and then you get to ride an actual Roman Chariot and have a chariot race similar to the movie, obviously with a lot less gore (if you saw Ben Hur, like I've done, you'll know what I'm talking about).

Then, the rest of the new rides.

"War of Worlds": An interactive VR Game where apparently (from what I've heard) New York is under attack and you have to save it from aliens by shooting them.

"Horror House": Name says it all. It's a walkthrough dark ride. No one from the Italian coaster community has given feedback on it, since I heard they were too scared to get in. looks like they got the sp00k factor right.

"Rodeo": A new western themed bumper car ride. Always enjoyable rides, especially fun with friends. A welcome addition.

"Aquarodeo": Bumper boat ride for the kids

"Labirinto (Labyrinth)" Another VR ride, this time a walkthrough VR ride, and not interactive, unlike War of Worlds.

"Pezzi da Oscar" is essentially a famous movie prop museum, where they've gathered a bunch of props and statues from famous movies and put them up on display.

EDIT: I missed out "Missione Laser" (Laser Mission), which is basically one of those rooms have to go through without being hit by lasers (forgot the legit name, but whatever)

Another very interesting change they've made is to their viability. Before it used to be that the viability of the park would be focused around a central hub point, where the fountains are. Now, they took the main path that goes through all the main themed areas, and made it one-way (kind of like at Ikea) which kind of forces you to go around the park and seeing all the themed areas (illustrated below) (That little hedge maze by the Drop Tower you have to go through is also new btw).

The only flaw I can see is that if you miss a certain path to reach a ride and you realize you need to go back- you can't, so you'll have to walk all around the park all over again until you reach the path you missed and take it again. Either way, this does give it a sense of order and it makes the park look bigger, too (because it's not. It's puny).

If this ends up working for them, it looks to be a new dawn for Cinecittà World.

Edited by LeoBruz199

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting with the 'forced direction' thing...but I really like this park and hope it works out well for them.

Yeah it is strange, I agree. I think its only really necessary at busy parks I mean the only other park i've seen with this layout is PortAventura and Parc Asterix (although Parc Asterix only has it due to the lake really). PortAventura really uses it to it's advantage with the staggered openings and that keeps the crowds moving well (excluding the PA Express of course!). But from what i've heard about Cinecitta World, crowds are not an issue!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to the photos of the facebook fan club of the park (https://www.facebook.com/cinecittaworldfanclub/?fref=ts) I can show you what's new in this 2017 season of Cinecittà World.

I will follow the map posted by LeoBruz199:

As you know, from this year the park is divided into 6 themed areas: Cinecittà World, Roma, Spaceland, Far West, Adventureland and Sognolabio.

The main street of the park has become the entrance of the Cinecittà Wolrd Area.

main_street_ingresso_cinecitt_world.jpg

It received some improvements, like the addition of trees and some random stuff.

main_street.jpg

main_street_2.jpg

Here we can find the new VR-Attraction "La Guerra dei Mondi" (War of the Worlds).

guerra_dei_mondi.jpg

From this year there is also an interesting exhibition of scultures used in the Cinecittà productions.

mostra_2.jpg

statue_1.jpg

statue_2.jpg

It's on three floors, on the top floor there is a balcony where you can see the main street and the central square.

vista_balconata.jpg

The immersive tunnel is finally open and fully functional.

spacexpress.jpg

Then, we find the Rome Area.

area_roma.jpg

And its entrance.

ingresso_roma.jpg

In this area there is another big attraction, "Ben-Hur".

logo_benhur.jpg

The queue line of the attraction is the ex-queue line of Aktium. At the end you have to take a shuttle bus to reach the set.

17634544_783313361825745_1059921924236665953_n.jpg[/url]

set_ben_hur.jpg

ben_hur_2.jpg

The entrance and the queue line of Aktium have been rilocated.

aktium_ingresso.jpg

Now this restaurant is called "Roma - Pasta & Fast Food".

fast_food.jpg

The next area you find is Spaceland.

area_spaceland.jpg

This is the new entrance.

ingresso_spaceland.jpg

In this area there are no new attractions.

Next, we have the Far West Area, the one that received the most improvements.

area_far_west.jpg

far_west.jpg

There are four new attractions: "Horror House", "Il Labirinto" (The Labyrinth), Rodeo and Aqua Rodeo.

horror_house.jpg

il_labirinto.jpg

These are the bumper cars "Rodeo".

rodeo_ingresso.jpg

rodeo.jpg

And their aquatic version.

aqua_rodeo.jpg

This is an example of the new viability. They used the ex-erawan queue line.

nuova_viabilita.jpg

Erawan (the drop tower) is now called "Indiana Adventure" and it's located in Adventureland.

area_adventureland.jpg

ingresso_adventureland.jpg

17799277_783471355143279_3595557860108904147_n.jpg

"Inferno" is the new name of Darkmare (indoor drop coaster).

inferno_1.jpg

inferno_2.jpg

Another example of new viability.

passaggio_piazza.jpg

And the journey is finished

Edited by dan0601

Well, it's a good news for the park but I don't like the new names of the rides. Darkmare and Erawan were actually original names, and they changed them for something commonplace..

"Horror House": Name says it all. It's a walkthrough dark ride. No one from the Italian coaster community has given feedback on it, since I heard they were too scared to get in.

Obviously the real reason is that a very few people goes to the park.. so nobody took the chance to ride it.

Cinecittà world doesn't have enough money to make a good horror house, it will probably be a crap pointless ride..

Well, it's a good news for the park but I don't like the new names of the rides. Darkmare and Erawan were actually original names, and they changed them for something commonplace..

"Horror House": Name says it all. It's a walkthrough dark ride. No one from the Italian coaster community has given feedback on it, since I heard they were too scared to get in.

Obviously the real reason is that a very few people goes to the park.. so nobody took the chance to ride it.

Cinecittà world doesn't have enough money to make a good horror house, it will probably be a crap pointless ride..

Yeah, you're probably right.

Anyways, I really hope this park will benefit from these new things. If not, it's just gonna be all wasted potential from a park that could've been Rome's premier amusement park.

I have one reason why Cinecitta World will be more successful than Hard Rock Park: Population base! Rome is a large metro area with no other large theme parks nearby, while HRP was in Myrtle Beach, a somewhat declining tourist area relatively far from any major city.

The bumper cars are a real let down, I have seen the bull themed cars before and the went with those?

We'll be in Rome early June 2019. I have considered trying to squeeze in a half day here for the coaster. But, it being open is the biggest question. With it being a bit of chore to get to. It may just get skipped even if open.

^

Well, it shouldn't be that hard to get to. There's a shuttle bus service that goes to and from Termini Station, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

As for the bumper cars, I heard they are hand-me-downs, so that's probably it.

Either way, do not skip it. The new Ben Hur attraction by itself will make the trip worthwhile. So will both Altair and Inferno. They're great.

(Although people say Altair has gotten a lot more rattly as of late)

^Rainbow MagicLand, Zoomarine and the new Luneur park also exist, you know. So the competition is really stiff.

Rainbow Magicland is the obvious direct competition. Zoomarine is nice but it's a (very tight) budget SeaWorld.

^Rainbow MagicLand, Zoomarine and the new Luneur park also exist, you know. So the competition is really stiff.

Rainbow Magicland is the obvious direct competition. Zoomarine is nice but it's a (very tight) budget SeaWorld.

Ironically, Zoomarine is doing better than both parks combined

Oh geeze. I mean, it makes sense since operational costs for them must be far lower than two parks with heavy themeing, more staff, mechanical issues, etc.

Oh geeze. I mean, it makes sense since operational costs for them must be far lower than two parks with heavy themeing, more staff, mechanical issues, etc.

It's not just that. It's considered much better, since it's got cheaper admission and has much more to offer than both parks. Aside from a solid waterpark (which is included in the park's admission) and ride lineup, it's got plenty of shows, marine life exhibits, and more.

Then again, all this could change with CCW's newest additions.

• 1 year later...

If I ever visit Rome, I'd definitely check out Cinecitta World. I'd like to see them do a dark ride or coaster themed to The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly someday.

51e3NopRA0L._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg