Coastin through the Ohio Region 2017

Michigans Advenutre (yikes)
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I teach at the school of donkey!

Re: Coastin through the Ohio Region 2017

Postby STDog » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:44 am

coasterbill wrote:You bought this abomination of pizza (sorry Dollywood, but WTF) and not Cinnamon Bread?
You need to reevaluate your priorities. :lol:

Agree. And you'd have even got more food with the cinnamon bread.

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby dstephe9 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:51 am

I used to love lumberjacks pizza but just look at that pic!! Those that don't believe the post of quality going downhill, just look at the pic for proof haha!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby LukeFlynn » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:34 am

dstephe9 wrote:I used to love lumberjacks pizza but just look at that pic!! Those that don't believe the post of quality going downhill, just look at the pic for proof haha!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

It's truly a shame.
Dear God, the Donkeys are invading my life.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:36 am

I can confirm that the food quality has gone way down this year. Lillian's used to have some of my favorite park food anywhere as recently as Smoky Mountain Christmas but this year it was trash (aside from the smoked sausage).

I'll stick to the giant skillets and cinnamon bread which are as good as ever.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby drummermattk » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:31 pm

This past weekend I visited Kings Island for the First Rider event of Mystic Timbers, working Friday night and not getting off till 1 (the last Mystic train was sent at 12:30), and visiting the park on Saturday for opening Day!

So first the first rider event. As some may know, sometimes associates that work at an amusement park sometimes get to ride the newest attraction before anyone else.......................well this wasn't the case. Thursday night was my first time riding! I have to say........This is something the park was missing. Before at the announcement and watching the animated POV, I wasn't impressed that much but was glad it was a new coaster. After watching the POV of the real ride................color me impressed. The park was missing something fast and relentless as a wooden coaster, but keeping it on the same level as The Beast and The Racer, but as smooth as possibly a steel coaster (with that wooden feeling). I only felt like I got about 2 pops of ejector airtime (maybe more), but I loved the intensity and airtime on this! That evening, I got 8 rides in and 2 night rides, sadly, the ride is not as good as that world class coaster right next to it "The Beast"
IMG_1964.JPG
Front Entrance looks a little different with the metal detectors that will be here all year.
IMG_1968.JPG
The gang's all here! Myself (CoasterMatt Productions), FYE Coasters, Coaster Guy101, CCU (Coaster Clubs United), Ohio Valley Coasters and Kings Islands#1 Fans!
IMG_1973.JPG
Something's different in Snoopy this year................. any guesses?
IMG_1974.JPG
Has that big box been there this whole time?
IMG_1976.JPG
Slowly peeking into Rivertown.
IMG_1995.JPG
Andy Dalton! (WHODEY!) All of us (187 to be exact) came together and raised 60,000 dollars!
IMG_1998.JPG
Love the theming to the ride! Honestly would say that this is the best themed ride since Tomb Raider
IMG_1998.JPG
Love the theming to the ride! Honestly would say that this is the best themed ride since Tomb Raider
IMG_2001.JPG
Riders ride into the unknown!
IMG_2003.JPG
They survived the Shed? That's not supposed to happen..........
IMG_2005.JPG
I've grown on the middle vine.
IMG_2008.JPG
The trains are really cool though!
IMG_2020.JPG
Front entrance plaza!
IMG_2021.JPG
Seems like someone crashed into this.

Onto Opening Day with 3 hours of sleep. I arrived at the park at 7 AM and waiting in the employee parking lot until around 8, as I wanted one of these first riders shirts that I was told would be given out. Fastforward to 9:30, we where walked into the park around to Mystic Timbers entrance and was on in about not even 10 minutes.

Onto some things that are new this year (other than that new woodie in Rivertown):
- Coke refill stations! There where about a couple new ones that I saw! one where a water gun game was in Rivertown right next to Larossa's in rivertown, one at the old ICEE refill station in Coney Mall right next to Killmart.
-Tom & Chee!: Cinci's famous grilled cheese resturant has made a permanent home in Kings Island, right over where snakepit by Diamondback was! Come get your grilled cheese donuts!
-Winterfest footers and buildings: A new building was being constructed behind the Blackout maze, and footers are around International Street.
-International street now has Instrumental music! It's really a nice touch
-Dodgem's received some LED lights on the ride ceiling and outside the ride as well. That leaves only two ride in Coney to need these nice LED lights, Monster and Zephyr.

I would like to give a shout out to everyone of my friends on the Mystic crew! From having an about 8 hour wait on friday evening, i was very impressed with fast dispatches and a 1-2 hour wait on Saturday!

Enjoy the videos and pictures!

IMG_2045.JPG
Big crowd for opening day!
IMG_2055.JPG
Turning 30 and still giving IMO a good ride
IMG_2080.JPG
Well hello there!
IMG_2091.JPG
Such a great and FUN ride!
IMG_2124.JPG
Best invert I've been on (Raptors the only other one I've been on)
IMG_2150.JPG
Dive Dive Dive!
IMG_2156.JPG
Kersplush! (with some new paint to the rise up out of the splashdown)
IMG_2164.JPG
Vortex recieved a nice refurbished sign over the offseason!
IMG_2173.JPG
Dodgem's new LED lights!
IMG_2174.JPG
The lights outside of the ride!
IMG_2183.JPG
Firehawk turns 10 this year (15 total) and is really in need of a repaint. The red is chipping away and you can see the green coming in.
IMG_2199.PNG
Overview of Mystic Tibmers!

Stay tuned as my next trips include to be either: Kentucky Kingdom, Kings Dominion, Coney Island, Strikers Grove, Cedar Point and maybe Indiana Beach!
Top 5: 1.Fury 325 2.Maverick 3.Lightning Rod 4.Voyage 5.I305
I've visited: 19 Parks,Rode 81 Steel Coasters,33 Wooden Coasters,which is a total of 114 credits
check out CoasterMatt Productions: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCEIBVYHqjtsfqAHCCO0mzQ/videos

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:39 am

Great TR! I actually passed Strickers Grove recently (which I forgot existed). I took a wrong turn and was trying to get back and then was like, "WHOA roller coaster WTF? Where am I??" I didn't realize it was so close to where I lived (like 30 min away).

Pass preview for Mystic Timbers was definitely a lot more hectic than official opening! On Saturday, the line cleared out later in the day, after we had already waited another 4 hours (due to there being a one hour delay when we were almost to the stairs). :roll:

Thanks for the back row hookup on pass preview day, it was definitely INSANE in the back! By the way, I don't know any of those people in real life, but after spending 4 hours with them in line, I got to know them! :lol: Definitely the longest I've ever waited for a coaster, but worth it! I still can't believe we waited through all those caves and in the back areas and then some. :wtf:
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

Postby coasterbill » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:28 am

Great photos!

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby drummermattk » Sun May 21, 2017 8:36 pm

Well after slaving away at Kings Island for weekends after weekends, I finally found a park that was open DURING the week...............Holiday World! So on May 11th (the day before KI started Daily op), myself and a couple ACE'rs decided to take the trip over! This was my second time visiting the park was pleasantly pleased with everything despite the school groups and the shitty weather (it always seems to rain when I go to the park). Last year (i was an idiot at most new parks) I focused on riding all of the coasters, this year it has changed! with not only the coasters, i rode many of the flats and thrill rides at the park (including Firecracker) and some types where ones I've never rode like the S&S Shot tower "Liberty Launch" and "Firecracker" A Calypso! Check out some of my videos from my visit and some of my pictures!

IMG_2599.JPG
Corn...Corn..........Corn.........ROLLER COASTERS!
IMG_2602.JPG
So cool to see the old train ride!
IMG_2606.JPG
"Voyage coming to dock"
IMG_2608.JPG
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
IMG_2610.JPG
Love the Voyage but Lightning Rod has to be my new #1 woodie
IMG_2612.JPG
Dive! Dive! Dive!
IMG_2614.JPG
Two great coasters in one picture!
IMG_2616.JPG
Such Beauty
IMG_2626.JPG
So Photogenic
IMG_2635.JPG
Climbing the voyage!
IMG_2637.JPG
Plymuth Rock Cafe is still great to eat at, sadly it was closed and we ate at Kringle's
IMG_2639.JPG
#TakeTheTunnel
IMG_2642.JPG
It was weird to see a carousel but not hear loud organ.carousel music
IMG_2644.JPG
IMG_2647.JPG
Raven time after lunch!
IMG_2656.JPG
"Don't look back"
IMG_2661.JPG
Still one of the better woodie's I've rode
IMG_2665.JPG
Not today...............
IMG_2667.JPG
Who doesn't love a good viking ship!
IMG_2670.JPG
Still a vacant plot of land.......................
IMG_2672.JPG
How bout some Voyage shot's!
IMG_2676.JPG
So graceful
IMG_2682.JPG
"Thunderbird Clear for launch"
IMG_2684.JPG
Not a bad element is on this ride
IMG_2694.JPG
Loop-de-loop!
IMG_2698.JPG
Soars like an eagle
IMG_2700.JPG
Fly's like one to
IMG_2702.JPG
Someone wants some attention
IMG_2705.JPG
Honestly this was my first time on an OLDER set of flyer's and no i never was able to snap.
IMG_2707.JPG
There's something in this area i forgot to ride last year.
IMG_2710.JPG
Yup here it is.....
IMG_2714.JPG
LOVED the ejector airtime at the top!
IMG_2716.JPG
From w hat I heard this was slow compared to others but it was still FUN!
IMG_2738.JPG
#Spooky
IMG_2740.JPG
You can't go without getting a pic here
IMG_2742.JPG
the day has ended
IMG_2745.JPG
everything is calm
IMG_2747.JPG
thank you Holiday World for another great visit and having great rides!!!!
Last edited by drummermattk on Sat May 27, 2017 9:18 pm.
Top 5: 1.Fury 325 2.Maverick 3.Lightning Rod 4.Voyage 5.I305
I've visited: 19 Parks,Rode 81 Steel Coasters,33 Wooden Coasters,which is a total of 114 credits
check out CoasterMatt Productions: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCEIBVYHqjtsfqAHCCO0mzQ/videos

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Thu May 25, 2017 4:54 am

Thanks for the report. I prefer Raven to Voyage, and I think Legend is a bit underrated.

Postby prozach626 » Thu May 25, 2017 5:54 am

Nice trip report. Glad you had a good time. I don't think it's idiotic at all to only want to ride roller coasters, especially if you're at a new park. Flats have only recently started to interest me and they have to be of a certain variety. Any small diameter spinning is a no-go for me.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!