Lakemont park closed for the summer!

Park is making significant improvements.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I love donkeys more than me.

Re: Lakemont park closed for the summer!

Postby Shavethewhales » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:28 pm

Woof. Not looking good. I mean, it's good that they are getting back on track and have a vision for the property, but there's no mention of the coasters in that statement and they've now been sitting idle for two years. Wouldn't surprise me if they finally get around to focusing on the coasters and find that it will cost too much for them to re-open and maintain them in the grand scheme of what they are focusing on now. I don't want it to happen, but I've been around this too much that I'm pessimistic. Too much time spent closed is bad for wood coasters.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:05 pm

I guess I don't understand why people are being so "doom & gloom" about this. It's not like it's Conneaut where the park is barely holding on and everything you see about that place it's some lawsuit or crazy legal thing happening. This seems to that there is activity going on, there is an update on their website that, while gives no real information, at least shows someone is there creating new content for it, and a news article that says things are moving forward, just slowly.

I've seen parks in FAR WORSE shape over the years! And sure, maybe they will knock down one of the two woodies, maybe even both (but I doubt it) and yes, maybe the park will never re-open, but at the moment it sounds as though the park has a future, it's just taking longer than they wanted for it to get there. And that's not unusual in this business.
Last edited by robbalvey on Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:06 pm.

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:47 am

For all we know, they could let the coasters cycle a few times every once in a while once it gets warmer even though the park is closed. Respectfully, it's not like there are people standing outside the property all the time waiting for testing to happen. They could do overnight testing and we wouldn't even know it.

Philrad71 wrote:"Family entertainment centers" usually make me envision just what they are mentioning...batting cages, go-karts, mini-golf. Throw in an arcade, ice cream shack, kiddie bungee jump, a kiddie coaster, and maybe a few rides.

The term "family entertainment center" and the offerings typically associated with it has changed over the past few years. Yes, the typical indoor arcades with Miner Mikes / Python Pits / SBF spinning coasters still exist everywhere, but the term is often now used when talking about super-small amusement parks. Heck, there are plenty of people that still consider the Fun Spot parks to be family entertainment centers. In fact, if I recall correctly, the leadership of Fun Spot Orlando was featured in the "family entertainment centers" section of an issue of FunWorld Magazine one year.

EDIT: Here it is, May 2015, and this was after the park's big renovation. www.iaapa.org/news/funworld/funworld-magazine/family-entertainment-centers---may-2015
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby Shavethewhales » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:37 am

To be sure, I do understand the position these parties are in, and I know how a death can throw a huge wrench in a project like this one. Overall their plans make sense and are apt for their situation. We've just lost so many classic coasters over the last 10-15 years that it's hard to stay positive anymore when one hangs in the balance. It has always seemed like a matter of time before they threw in the towel due to the low interest the park seemed to create in local patrons. Wooden coasters are expensive to keep running, and just like an old house there are so many things that pop up along the way that can make you regret your investment.

We'll see though. I will try to hold out hope that everything goes through the way they planned it.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby thrillrider » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:44 am

By chance, did the park have a scrambler ride?

Alabama splash adventure just acquired a scrambler, and found this while cleaning out the ride tubs durring a repaint.
Screenshot_20180307-124105.png
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

Nothing beats Cali coasters

Postby chickenbowl » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:01 am

robbalvey wrote:I guess I don't understand why people are being so "doom & gloom" about this. It's not like it's Conneaut where the park is barely holding on and everything you see about that place it's some lawsuit or crazy legal thing happening. This seems to that there is activity going on, there is an update on their website that, while gives no real information, at least shows someone is there creating new content for it, and a news article that says things are moving forward, just slowly.

I've seen parks in FAR WORSE shape over the years! And sure, maybe they will knock down one of the two woodies, maybe even both (but I doubt it) and yes, maybe the park will never re-open, but at the moment it sounds as though the park has a future, it's just taking longer than they wanted for it to get there. And that's not unusual in this business.

I think some of us are just a little worried at the possibility of losing the world's oldest operating roller coaster. It would be a significant blow to lose that piece of history
Chasing Airtime
Intimidator 305|Maverick|Skyrush|Expedition GeForce|Medusa Steel
Lightning Rod|Outlaw Run|El Toro|Phoenix|Wildfire

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Location: dimension not only of sight & sound but parabolic airtime hills/g-spot orgasms

Postby DirkFunk » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:23 am

thrillrider wrote:By chance, did the park have a scrambler ride?

Alabama splash adventure just acquired a scrambler, and found this while cleaning out the ride tubs durring a repaint.

Yup. IIRC the Paratrooper going to Fun Spot Atlanta was at Lakemont too.

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:39 pm

DirkFunk wrote:IIRC the Paratrooper going to Fun Spot Atlanta was at Lakemont too.

Orlando's Paratrooper is going to Atlanta and being replaced by a looping pendulum ride, not sure which manufacturer though (either Zamperla or SBF).
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby MisterBrow » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:02 pm

Philrad71 wrote:^ Hmmm...it almost makes one wonder if most of the rides except Leap The Dips will be removed?

"Family entertainment centers" usually make me envision just what they are mentioning...batting cages, go-karts, mini-golf. Throw in an arcade, ice cream shack, kiddie bungee jump, a kiddie coaster, and maybe a few rides.

Are batting cages really all that popular? It always seems like they are mostly empty when we have visited places like that. Hell, even when they started first showing up at places like that back in the 80's, I never really saw that they were all that popular.

Since it is next to the AA baseball stadium I would assume you would have some baseball fans that would take some swings.
Meister Brau just wants a path from CC to SM at SFA, meal plan burrito, some shade, and a restroom back there.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:20 pm

^ True - that's a good point.

Someone earlier mentioned them keeping Leap The Dips and Skyliner. I could see that happening along with the other stuff that they had, although Starliner seemed to be in much worse shape than LTD when we visited about five years ago - it will be interesting to see if they give that one the ax.

It would be great if they could turn it into something like a Fun Spot, but I could also see it with the aforementioned attractions with LTD, kiddie rides and maybe a merry-go-round being the only rides left.

I hope their Octopus can get a refurb and find a new home...that was the best ride there, IMO.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!