Lakemont park closed for the summer!

Park is making significant improvements.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Re: Lakemont park closed for the summer!

Postby Rai Fox » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:02 pm

Philrad71 wrote:It would be great if they could turn it into something like a Fun Spot, but I could also see it with the aforementioned attractions with LTD, kiddie rides and maybe a merry-go-round being the only rides left.

I'd love to see it but it just seems like there's so much working against them. Fun Spot is in Orlando. Lakemont is in Altoona... I just don't see how they can really draw enough people in.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:07 pm

They're near State College, but unfortunately for them, most of the students are gone during peak amusement park season.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Wildfire, Outlaw Run, El Toro
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Shambhala
Most Recent Trip Reports- Tokyo Disneyland & Tokyo DisneySea

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:54 am

Being a Penn State alum and former theme park club exec, I can tell you point blank that students would much rather drive the two hours to Hersheypark than the 45 minutes to Lakemont. There are plenty of opportunities for those students to go at the beginning (Apr-May) and end (Aug-Sep-Oct) of the operating season, and parks are often generous enough to set up construction tours for the club during the off-season. Kennywood and Knoebels are also somewhat frequent destinations, but Hersheypark is the closest "thrill" park to State College.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby The Great Zo » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:29 pm

No, I don't have any news on Lakemont.

I do, however, have some pictures from the fireworks show after the Altoona Curve baseball game on June 5th.

Let's just say you might find yourself asking some questions about the wisdom of shooting off fireworks from directly adjacent to a half-century-old wooden roller coaster...
altoonacurve1.jpg
altoonacurve2.jpg
altoonacurve3.jpg
altoonacurve4.jpg
altoonacurve5.jpg
altoonacurve6.jpg
-- Andy
Trip Reports: 2013 BG/KD -- 2013 TPR -- 2014 KI -- 2014 TPR -- 2015 TPR
Trip Reports: 2015 CP -- 2017 FL -- 2017 CP -- 2017 TPR -- 2018 FC

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:40 pm

:lol: Perhaps they’re looking to collect some insurance money before turning the place into condos?

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby Shavethewhales » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:51 pm

lol, Bill, took the words out of my mouth. There's no way no one pointed out to them that this was a bad idea. Wonder how much oil is still on the tracks.

Makes you wonder how serious they are about re-opening that coaster. I could see them only trying to re-open Leap The Dips at this rate.

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!