TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Trip Planning Help!!

Hey all,

It's that time of year again. Our annual trip to DC is coming up, which means I have a Friday, and a Sunday free for parks. I don't mind a decent drive to get to a good park. BGW is a MUST visit this trip, so that takes up one of my free days, so I am trying to figure out what park(s?) to visit on my other free day. As many of you know, I hit up Kings Dominion last year and was a little underwhelmed to say the least. So, my question is. . . What park(s) should I visit on my free park day??

I am thinking:

- Knoebles for half a day, and SFA for half a day. I have never been to either of those parks, but from what I've heard/read neither of the parks require a full day. Thoughts? Advice?

- or -

- A full day at KD. Granted last year was not the experience, I figure I should give the park another chance, and maybe it will be a better visit.

- Or, are there any other parks within a 3-4 hour drive from DC worth visiting?? I really wanted to go to Hershey, but they will be closed the weekend I am there

Any advice you all can provide me with is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What weekend are you going?

April 28th, and 30th are my park days!

Knoebels and SFA would NOT be doable on the same day. Those parks are a solid three hours apart (according to Google Maps).

I took the drive into consideration. . . My thought was to get to Knoebels at open, stay till noon - 1ish, and then head to SFA for the evening. I don't mind the 3 hour drive. Especially since SFA is only 30 minutes from the hotel.

What weekend are you going?

April 28th, and 30th are my park days!

Knoebels and SFA would NOT be doable on the same day. Those parks are a solid three hours apart (according to Google Maps).

I took the drive into consideration. . . My thought was to get to Knoebels at open, stay till noon - 1ish, and then head to SFA for the evening. I don't mind the 3 hour drive. Especially since SFA is only 30 minutes from the hotel.

It would depend on how early Knoebels opens and how late SFA remains open

It would depend on how early Knoebels opens and how late SFA remains open

Knoebels opens at noon, SFA is open till 7pm. Looks like that's a no go. I was hoping Knoebels would open at 10.

Well, Now the question remains:

Out of KD, Knoebels, and SFA which park should I visit on my free day?? Or should I go with a different park that I may have overlooked?? Or should I just do two days at BGW?? (Not opposed to that idea at all. I LOVE BGW.) But I really wanted to visit some different parks.

- Knoebles for half a day, and SFA for half a day. I have never been to either of those parks, but from what I've heard/read neither of the parks require a full day. Thoughts? Advice?

Where have you read or heard that Knoebels is not a full day park?

If you haven't been before I highly recommend Knoebel's and to go for a full day. That park is absolutely stunning. I went last year for two full days at the park 10am-10pm and still wanted to keep going. The parks atmosphere at dusk and night is indescribably awesome.

Only 3 major issues with Knoebel's are that if you ride a ton it's no cheaper than any other major park chain, the bathrooms are hideous, and Twister sucks. Other than that it has 10 or so rides that are the best of their kind anywhere in the world, great food, and magic that pisses all over Disney.

Hope I didn't hype it too much.

I'm not sure why deciding between Knoebels and SFA requires any thought whatsoever. Go to Knoebels, stay all day. Six hours in a car is doable, and Knoebels is only open 12-6 on April 30 (They're not open that Friday, so that locks you into Busch Gardens on Friday the 28th). You'd leave by 8 and get back before 10. I think you're from my neck of the woods, Arkansas right? So a drive like that shouldn't be an issue for you.

If you just want to nail all of the coasters, then go ahead and make the (shorter) drive to Kings Dominion for a day, but if you want a better experience (still with some kick-butt coasters), go to Knoebels.

Okay, I've done my part. Coasterbill, it's your turn.

I'm sort of hesitant to tell you to go to Knoebels because of that BOGO but after thinking about it it's still the best option by a mile.

So here's the thing, Knoebels is infinitely better than Six Flags America, Kings Dominion or any other park in America for that matter. Phoenix is spectacular, Twister is spectacular, Impulse is a ton of fun, the food is awesome and their flat ride collection is the best in the country. In no way, shape or form is Knoebels not a full day park. SFA is a raging dumpster fire. Knoebels is much better in every way possible.

I have to say though, that opening weekend BOGO scares me a little. We went last year and the lines were insane. You will be going on Sunday and not Saturday which helps and no matter how busy they are you'll be able to get on all of the coasters, the Scooters and the Flyers so I think Knoebels is still the best option just because of how much they sh*t all over the other parks but keep in mind that the park might be busier than normal. Try to get there early and get in line for a wristband. Wristbands are sold over near the Paratrooper. There are usually 2 lines that form, if one is crazy, there should be a line that heads towards the flyers. If both are crazy, go to a different booth and just buy tickets.

So go to Knoebels because SFA is a horrific park and while I love KD, you might as well wait until the RMC opens next year before going back.

Even if the BOGO crowd is massive you'll have a great time, and if it's manageable then you'll have an amazing time. Whoever told you Knoebels wasn't a full day park is an a**hole though.

Twister sucks

Somebody ban this guy Twister is 100% amazingness. Drugs are bad.

Hey all,

Thanks for the feedback!!! Looks like I'll be heading to Knobeles after all. If it's as great as everyone says it is, then it will for sure be worth the visit!! ... Hopefully. I'm glad to know that the park isn't just a half day park like I've been told.

I'm trying not to judge a book by its cover. . . But judging by photos and such, I can't see what makes this park so and making. But I guess I'll find out!! I just HATE that the park doesn't have any type of line skip program. I seriously can't stand waiting more than 10 minutes for anything. Oh well.

I've been to SFA one time. 90 minutes in and out with a few re-rides where needed (Wild One and Poltergeist/whatever it's called).

Knoebels on the other hand... I regularly spend 3 to 4 days at Knoebels during Phoenix Phall Phunfest (in which the whole park is open now, so nothing gets too crowded), and still don't want to leave. It's like part amusement park, part forest, part food fest, part.. "heaven"! It's one of (if not THEE) best hang out park.

I know a group of park nerds that are doing a massive trip this year, and they are spending a 1/2 day at Knoebels. I was like "what?!" and one dude replied "they have like 6 coasters lol." Didn't have a good reply to that. There is no use to even say anything. Let them go spend 2 full days at SFGreat Adventure. But there was a virtual, pride-obliterating-b*tch slap beeming through the universe to his face. I think I just replied with something like "well... I guess if you guys are simply doing a credit run, and you want to move fast" Ahh... youngins..

I've done a few fast-paced trips, and most of the time regretted it (except for a couple Six Flags parks, Dorney and a couple others). I like to park myself in a park and take it in. There is so much to take in at Knoebels. And it gets better every time I go.

I like to park myself in a park and take it in.

Yo dawg we put parking at your park so you could park yourself at your park before you park yourself in your park.

xzibit.jpg.687c2f4653db83225c94ed3ff36f2fe7.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, so I have decided to not do Knobeles THIS visit. Next year our trip to DC will be later, so we should miss the BOGO day. As great as Knobeles sounds... I can't stand the thought of my first visit to the park being during a BOGO event.

That being said, BGW is for sure... and now I'm thinking of replacing Kings Dominion with Six Flags Great Adventure. Given that it's only 3 hours away, and I haven't been since the year El Toro opened.

For those who frequent the park... Any ideas of what to expect at Great Adventure the last Friday in April?? Crowds?? Ride availability? Not sure if that early in the season everything is going to be up and running. . . Any advice for the park is greatly appreciated!

I'm also going to have a few free hours at Saturday Evening, and was thinking about hitting up Six Flags America for a credit run. There are a few coasters I'd like to ride, but nothing worth making the park a day to itself.

Everything should be mostly up and running by then barring any unknown mechanical catastrophes between now and then but keep in mind the park is only open until 6pm that day. Sadly, that used to be Physics day and therefore the day the park did the passholder night, but it looks like Physics day is the 21st this year (and we have no passholder nights anymore).

As far as crowds any weekdays in spring/early summer you run the likelihood of sharing the park with school or camp groups but if you can splurge on a FP so that you don't have to share the queues with teens/preteens, then you should be fine.