Switch to full style
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Post a reply

Re: Photo TR's: JordyC's Theme Park Adventures

Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:04 am

This is fantastic news, an almost new rollercoaster ride in less than an hour!

Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:20 am

The tourist wrote:This is fantastic news, an almost new rollercoaster ride in less than an hour!

You should definitely try it! It really feels like a new coaster. Whether it actually is a new rollercoaster or not, that is something everyone has to decide for themselves. ;)

Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:04 am

In addition to what others have mentioned about Magnum, I would love to see them do this for Corkscrew as well. Everyone knows how iconic it is looping over the midway walkway, it would be a shame if they ever removed such a historical piece of engineering.

Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:46 pm

Great report! After seeing Vekoma transform a previously (by all accounts) skull-bashing SLC into a smooth coaster at Morey's Piers, I have no doubt this retracking helped make Python a much more enjoyable attraction.

Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:33 pm

To be honest, I was not expecting that Python would be this smooth after the retracking. It probably is one of the smoothest coasters I have ridden. So I am all in for transforming other coasters that would really benefit from it (looking at you, El Condor and Goudurix).

Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:25 pm

Parque de Atracciones de Madrid - April 2018

Hello everyone!

April 6th and 7th 2018, I went to Madrid, Spain for my first ever time to Parque de Atracciones de Madrid and Parque Warner Madrid. I spent the first day in Parque de Atracciones and the second day in Parque Warner.

On April 6th, I visited Parque de Atracciones de Madrid. Much like Tivoli Gardens and Liseberg, Parque de Atracciones is a city park. It is not as centrally located as Tivoli or Liseberg, but still close enough to the city to be considered as one. From my hotel, it was only a 20-minute ride with the Madrid Metro to the park, which drops you off a few hundred meters before the entrance. Because the park is owned by Parques Reunidos, I had free entrance with my annual pass from Bobbejaanland.

I always try to keep my expectations as low as possible to avoid disappointment, especially since this park is owned by a company that is known for running not-so-great parks. And guess what, it was just as I expected it to be. It didn't blow me away, but it was a nice, relaxing amusement park. Note how I said amusement park though, not theme park. Granted, some rides and areas are fairly well themed, but other rides have absolutely no theming. And if you have read my previous trip reports, you know how much I love theming and the overall experience. That is something this park is definitely missing. They do have the potential to be a great park, though. They just need an excellent coaster, because their current coasters are just okay - nothing mind blowing. It is not like they don't know how to theme their rides, because the Nickelodeon Land area looked great, just like their Mine Train Coaster. Don't get me wrong, I did have a great time at this park! They have some good, fun rides. Also, the back of the park is very relaxing.

The weather forecast for the day was pretty bad with lightning storms and rain. While it did rain the first part of the day (it was just a light drizzle), the second half of the day was mostly dry. This resulted in very low crowds, and thus also in low queue times. Most of the rides were at most a 10 minute wait, except for their Wild Mouse coaster Vértigo, which had a 30 minute line all day.

DSC_0915.JPG
Welcome to Parque de Atracciones de Madrid!

DSC_1011.JPG
As soon as you enter the park, you are greeted by the park's massive star flyer.

DSC_0920.JPG
You get some great views from the entrance plaza.

DSC_0918.JPG
The park is full with all kind of games you can play! Also, there are a lot of Hidden Mickey's in this photo..

DSC_0919.JPG
La Selva is the park's 4D Cinema. It is okay, I guess. I am not a big fan of these kind of rides.

DSC_0932.JPG
Next up was La Jungla!

DSC_0944.JPG
La Jungla is a boat ride through the green heart of the jungle.

DSC_0935.JPG
I thought it had some pretty good theming, although is would have been better if there were some moving animatronics.

DSC_0938.JPG
Who doesn't like a relaxing boat ride through the jungle?

DSC_0931.JPG
They also have a The Walking Dead Experience. It only ran on selected times and was an upcharge. I am also not a massive fan of the Walking Dead, so I didn't bother with this one.

DSC_0930.JPG
Seems like this guy has been trapped in the car for a very long time.

DSC_0929.JPG
The park's Star Flyer provided some awesome views of the surrounding area.

DSC_0946.JPG
Time to explore Nickelodeon Land!

DSC_0947.JPG
Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?

DSC_0951.JPG
Anyone down for some jellyfishing?

Padrinos Voladores (1.5/10)
Credit whore or not, I enjoyed this little coaster. And it had some cute theming!

DSC_0956.JPG
Next up was the Fairly OddParents coaster.

DSC_0959.JPG
These sharp turns were actually pretty fun. I am a big kid, I know.

DSC_0962.JPG
Like I said, this area is very well themed.

DSC_0965.JPG
Are you ready to explore?

DSC_0963.JPG
Keep your eyes on the road, please. Thank you.

DSC_0966.JPG
Some more Nickelodeon themed rides.

DSC_0967.JPG
It is a fantastic area for the kids!

DSC_0980.JPG
This little coaster was sadly closed, but it looks great!

TNT Tren de la Mina (6/10)
This coaster was a surprise hit! It is very smooth, and it has a really good pacing through the entire ride, without being too intense. There are also a few good pops of airtime. On top of that, TNT Tren de la Mina actually has some pretty good theming. It is definitely one of my favorite family coasters.

DSC_0979.JPG
TNT Tren de la Mina has a massive entrance.

DSC_0977.JPG
It is an excellent family coaster that has some nice floater airtime here and there.

DSC_0974.JPG
On top of that, it has some good theming and a couple of head choppers.

Vértigo (4/10)
It is just your standard Mack Wild Mouse. Nothing special to say about it, except the fact that this was the left side of Bobbejaanland's Speedy Bob. It is a great coaster for the whole family, though.

DSC_0981.JPG
Ever wondered what happened to the left side of Bobbejaanland's Speedy Bob? Well, here it is!

DSC_0982.JPG
These rides are lots of fun for the whole family.

DSC_0994.JPG
It did have the longest wait of all the rides, though. But 30 minutes isn't that bad, either.

DSC_0984.JPG
It still rides the same as when it used to be Speedy Bob.

DSC_0988.JPG
I love little areas like this!

DSC_0989.JPG
The Rapids were closed for the entire day, but is was testing.

DSC_1006.JPG
Every Spanish park has some fantastic water rides, and Parque de Atracciones is no exception.

DSC_1001.JPG
You will get absolutely soaked on this ride!

DSC_1005.JPG
Despite the rainy weather, a lot of people were riding Los Fiordos. And since I live in Belgium, where the weather is 90% of the time rainy, the weather didn't stop me from riding it!

DSC_1012.JPG
These Intamin Drop Towers are always a lot of fun! Not the best one I have done, though.

DSC_1013.JPG
The park is also home to a Huss Top Spin, ..

DSC_1020.JPG
.. and a Huss Frisbee!

Abismo (7/10)
Abismo is clearly the best coaster in the park. Besides the fact that it is a very unique ride, it is also a very fun ride. The ride starts with taking you to the top of its massive 46-meter (150 ft) tall tower, vertical! On a normal coaster, when you reach the top your direction is changed to the normal position. Not with Abismo! It takes you upside-down, which gives some awesome hangtime! Next, you twist through the Sky Loop-element before plummeting straight down. With the standard SkyLoop coasters, this would be the end of the ride. But what if I told you Abismo is special? It has an extended layout with some tight turns and great airtime! The ride was also very smooth and had some pretty good forces. The only negatives I can say about Abismo is that a) it has no theming, and b) the restraints crushed my thighs every single time we were at the bottom of the first drop. Despite all that, I think this a really great coaster that I enjoyed very much!

DSC_1021.JPG
Next up was Abismo.

DSC_2021.JPG
The ride takes you to the top of its massive vertical lift hill.

DSC_2036.JPG
After which it will drop you straight down!

DSC_1035.JPG
Abismo has got an extended layout with some tight turns and very good airtime.

DSC_1043.JPG
The only big point of criticism I have is that the restraints weren't that comfortable for me.

DSC_2069.JPG
You can get real close and personal with Abismo.

DSC_2011.JPG
It really is the star attraction of this park.

DSC_2038.JPG
Rising towards the sun, somewhere behind the clouds..

DSC_2027.JPG
Who doesn't like some great hangtime?

DSC_2016.JPG
Threatening clouds, but that doesn't stop Abismo.

DSC_2032.JPG
You will get some very good ejector airtime here!

Tarántula (6/10)
I am not a massive fan of spinning coasters, but I really enjoyed Tarántula. It is one of the longest spinning coasters I have done. It doesn't really have a special or unique element like for example Winja's has, but it doesn't need that. This ride just keeps going and going. It is definitely one of my favorite spinning coasters.

DSC_2043.JPG
Tarántula is the park's spinning coaster.

DSC_2046.JPG
Normally I am not a big fan of these kind of rides, but Tarántula was very enjoyable.

DSC_2050.JPG
The ride just keeps going and going.

DSC_2052.JPG
Hands up if you love Tarántula!

DSC_2063.JPG
Next to Tarántula, there is this little interactive shooting dark ride. It just goes around in one big circle and it is very dark inside.

DSC_2070.JPG
And suddenly, we are in Paris.

DSC_2077.JPG
There is also a Disk'O called Tifon.

Tornado (5.5/10)
Tornado was probably the biggest disappointment of this park. I was really looking forward to finally riding an Intamin Inverted coaster, but I didn't enjoy it as much I would have liked. The two loopings had some good forces, and the corkscrew had a good snap to it. But that's pretty much it, the rest of the ride is pretty forgettable and forceless. Also, Tornado is not a smooth coaster. It gave me a few moments of headbanging in the turns and the helix at the end. And again, this ride has no theming.

DSC_2086.JPG
Tornado was my first Intamin Inverted Coaster, and let's just say that it was not what I was expecting from it.

DSC_2096.JPG
Tornado climbing its lift hill.

DSC_2098.JPG
The two loopings had some good positive G's.

DSC_2118.JPG
But the rest of the ride isn't that good.

DSC_2092.JPG
It is definitely not the smoothest coaster in the turns and the helix.

DSC_2124.JPG
Lots of steel for Tornado's loop!

DSC_2113.JPG
Some random people enjoying (??) their ride on Tornado.

So overall, I had a fairly great time at this park. The highlight of the day was clearly Abismo. There are a lot of other good rides, but like I said before they really need a standout attration, like a major coaster or a large scale dark ride. So, is it the best park I have ever visited? No, not by a long way. But it also isn't the worst park I have visited, by far. Would I visit this park again? Well, I would not come to Madrid solely for this park. But if I am in the area? Sure, why not? Although I would much rather spend my time at the superior park a bit more south of Madrid. ;)

Thanks for reading!

Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:47 pm

Thanks for a recent Photo TR from this park. You are right, they certainly need a new coaster. When TPR visited over 10 years ago the Sky Loop (Abismo) was a new experience and Tarantula was one of the earlier spinners. The kids rides look very nice and it sounds like the water rides are still running well.

Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:31 pm

Wonderful report, and such amazing pictures! =) =) =) That park looks so much fun!

Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:11 am

larrygator wrote:Thanks for a recent Photo TR from this park. You are right, they certainly need a new coaster. When TPR visited over 10 years ago the Sky Loop (Abismo) was a new experience and Tarantula was one of the earlier spinners. The kids rides look very nice and it sounds like the water rides are still running well.

You're welcome. As much as I enjoyed Abismo and Tarantula, they are just "filler" coasters, if that makes sense. Nickelodeon Land looked great, I was amazed at how big this area was - it is about 1/4 of the entire park!

ThemeParkJunkie51290 wrote:Wonderful report, and such amazing pictures! =) =) =) That park looks so much fun!

Thanks! It really was a lot of fun.

Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:25 pm

Great report!

Abismo really does intrigue me. The lone Skyloop I rode at Skyline was a ton of fun until that stupid vertical lift holding brake caused the restraints to give me a gut punch. By having a full layout, it looks like that painful moment is eliminated and replaced with airtime.

Bummer on Tornado. I was always intrigued by those traditional Intamin inverts since Volcano tracks so well.
Post a reply