TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Glenwood Caverns Discussion Thread

So what's the deal with this thing? It seems like it still hasn't opened and this thread has gone completely silent.

Also, any idea why the coaster is yet to open this year?

The Cliffhanger was open for some time this year, went down a couple of weeks ago for maintenance unfortunately. We have not been given a time frame as to when in will reopen.

The July 4th date was if everything was going according to plan. So it goes with the first underground drop tower things happen. We are telling guest they are shooting for the end of the month. The guys from all ends are working literally 24 hours a day on this thing to get it open. I have a new tentitive date but cannot give that out. However I will leave you with this picture a took couple of weeks ago. Hope that clears things up. (I went down to the site and it insane looking at the hole, you can find some of my pics on the website.)

20170708_204533.thumb.jpg.e0c0340e4a5af0ea9084c0f50a739fcd.jpg

This thing looks amazing. One of the most interesting projects I've seen in a while.

It's a great concept and it's so cool to see a small park attempt something so ambitious.

I heard a few interviews with the park's management on CoasterRadio and it seems like they are truly passionate about it. I really hope it's successful.

The floor slides away from the ride vehicle.

As the Facebook post says, very close to a date of opening. If I get some I can share I'll let you know.

I had the pleasure of riding it this afternoon, and it lives up to the hype.

^ But not as scary as that Screamin' Swing over the canyon!

I LOVE me some Screamin' Swings, but damn...that one...I would need at least one or two Manhattan's to get me relaxed enough just to white-knuckle it just once.

Capture.JPG.c49d0a4ab18a105e330e211a29236009.JPG

Photo courtesy of Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park.

"Holy freaking sh%t!" courtesy of myself.

^ The one in Cedar Point was pretty freaky to me, and remember actually closing my eyes a couple of times, when swinging back and looking down at the ground. Hmmm. This one, I dunno. I think I'd try it, though. Just to say I did ride it. After a few cocktails, myself.

As far as I'm aware, ours has the biggest arc of any Screamin' Swing models. I tend to tell people that if you are afraid of heights the Canyon Flyer tends to be worse as you have considable time to look down compared to a second or so on the swing. (And 90% of people say the side the doesn't look into the canyon is the scariest according to the pole I took.)

As far as I'm aware, ours has the biggest arc of any Screamin' Swing models. I tend to tell people that if you are afraid of heights the Canyon Flyer tends to be worse as you have considable time to look down compared to a second or so on the swing. (And 90% of people say the side the doesn't look into the canyon is the scariest according to the pole I took.)

It had the biggest arc of any I've ridden. The side facing away from the canyon is definitely scarier. I pulled my hands right back down after a few swings.

I excited to finally share with you our opening date! The grand opening is this Monday at 10AM. (But maybe you should come up this weekend if you can.) As a gift to TPR, the first person to correctly guess the height of the tallest tram tower will win two day passes to come to park so you can join the fun.

^ That's awesome for the 2 Day Passes offer! Unfortunately, I am a bit farther away,

than to make it there by (gulp) Monday.

Have a Great Grand Opening!

The day is finally here! The world's first underground drop tower is finally open at Glenwood Caverns Adventure park. The grand opening is happening right now and I'll make sure to update you guys here later today.

Official Press Release:

Glenwood Springs, Colo. (July 31st, 2017) - thrill-seekers and the fans of dark rides and of the Paranormal or lined up to be among the first to try the Haunted Mine Drop at Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park. It's the world's first drop ride to go underground. Perched on top of Iron Mountain in Glenwood Springs, Colorado, the new attraction drops riders 110 ft down inside the mountain as they listen to ghostly mining tales From days gone by.

"We've been waiting a long time for this day; construction on the Haunted Mine Drop started in the spring of 2016," said Steve Beckley, who owns Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park was his wife Jeanne. "The reaction from our first Riders have made it all the worth the wait."

The ride experience begins in the queue as guest learn they've arrived for their first day on the job at the Glenwood Mining Corporation, which has just reopened after grisly mine accident more than a century ago. Theming inside out by St. Louis-based Creative Visions creates an old mining atmosphere, with a wood and rusted tin exterior and moving gear visible in the upper section of the building.

Once inside the building, the story line continues with mining relics, vintage signage and video effects until the new employees entered the drop room where they they'll be lowered into the mine. A Pepper's ghost, an illusion technique invented by Professor John Henry Pepper and English engineer Henry Dircks in the 1800's, appears to tell the real story behind the mines closing so many years ago.

Beckley explains, "Not only is the building themed like an old mine, the ride drops down a shaft excavated out of solid rock the same way that a real mine shaft would be. The temperature drops and the smell of rhe rock and the earth adds authenticity to the experience."

Anticipation has been building for months. Earlier this year, it was named one of the 12 most anticipated theme park rides of 2017 by USA Today.

The Haunted Mine Drop ride was constructed by Stan Checketts' Soaring Eagle in Logan, Utah. Checketts is an icon in the industry, having created some of the top thrill rides in the world, including the park's cliffside Giant Canyon Swing and the Stratosphere Tower Big Shot in Las Vegas.

In addition to the world's first underground drop ride, Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park rightfully claims several more superlatives related to its attractions, including America's only mountain top theme park. The park introduced the first Alpine Coaster to the US in 2005. The Giant Canyon Swing is the highest of its kind, launching Riders out 1,300 feet over the Colorado River. The Cliffhanger Roller Coaster, situated on the edge of Glenwood Canyon at an elevation of 7,160 feet, is the highest elevation, full-sized roller coaster in America.

"We have a limited amount of space because of our location. To compete with a larger parks, we take the common thrill rides and use our setting to make them unique. That's why the Haunted Mine Drop is garnering interest around the globe. There is a lot of appeal and experiencing a one-of-a-kind ride," Beckley adds.

Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park is open daily through October 29th, then on the weekends with extended hours of the holidays. The Haunted Mine Drop will operate year-round. More information is available at http://www.glenwoodcaverns.com

The day is finally here! The world's first underground drop tower is finally open at Glenwood Caverns Adventure park. The grand opening is happening right now and I'll make sure to update you guys here later today.

Thanks, can you post a few pictures with the update?

Edited by larrygator

Thanks, can you post a few pictures with the update?

Many pictures are taken with you in mind.

I apologize in advanced, seems like some photos turned out bad. I'll try to get back up later this week (I work all week) and re-shoot with something better then my phone.

------------------

The Haunted Mine Drop is finally open for business and Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park after over a year in construction. The ride has been creating a buzz ever since it was first officially announced earlier this year. The ride is unique in the fact that it is the world's first drop tower to go underground. Blasting and digging for the ride started in the Winter of 2016 and wrapped up a year later with the past few months dedicated to ride installation and the building.

It's really hard to make this building look bad.

I had the pleasure of riding a few times before the opening. Unfortunately I wasn't able to make the actual grand opening but I'm sure this report will be more then enough for you. The grand opening attracted people from all over the state as well as a few from out of state as well. Despite the ride being one of the biggest additions since the park opened, the opening was short and modest besides the champagne. Media got their rides in before the opening celebration began.

[fbvideonew]

[/fbvideonew]

Shortly therefore after the first public riders were more then happy to flood in and experience the ride for themselves.

20431423_10155641607727769_7986877699576733989_n.jpg?oh=c99d23bb37ec8dc82a07866102fbca0c&oe=59FD5AA4

If you followed my advice however, we did a sneak preview of the ride the day before. Needless to say within thirty minutes the line was nearly two hours long!

Of course what you may have been waiting for is what the experience is like. So, here we go!

It seems that the Glenwood Mining Cooperation is hiring! Lets head inside to see what is going on.

(Again, sorry for the poor quality pictures, better ones soon.) A sign on the wall points us towards a door. On the left is mining tools from days gone by. Everything is very authentic because it is! Many items were collected from various places within Colorado and on property.

At the end of hallway is the human resources department. The guy is a little interested to see that we showed up but hey, we are willing to work, right?

He points us to the left where we can gather our tools and find out more about Glenwood Mining Cooperation.

Fun fact, this door is from the original Glenwood Springs jail.

At the end of the hallway a TV screen proudly touts about the history of the Glenwood Mining Cooperation. It seems however back in the day, there was a fair share of mining accidents and one shut this particular mine down. However safety conditions have been much improved and the mine is safe to enter again. Or is it? After all, they ran out of hard hats last week, so they suggest you cover your head.

With that in mind you wait your turn to be taken into the mine. Finally you are let into the the main room. (Warning, spoilers ahead!)

Seems like the vehicle down looks pretty nice! And hey, what could go wrong, even if it's seat-belt's only. You are strapped in and it is time to descend. However, the lights are going dim, that's normal, right? Suddenly a ghost appears in front of you. Apparently this mine is haunted by the ghost of miners past, they didn't tell you that in the video. This one in particular lost his brother sadly. Seems he got a little to close to the edge of the shaft and fell in and the mine closed shortly after. But, did he really? Suddenly the ghost's eyes start to glow and he menacingly laughs. A fiery image appears above yelling "Fire in the hole!" Suddenly the floor is gone and you are sent plummeting to the bottom of a long lost mine shaft.

As you come to a rest at the bottom, a skeleton appears along with a dead canary, because that always signals good things. Suddenly a voice is heard. It's a different ghost, the brother who fell down the shaft. Well it turns out our friendly ghost above is a liar and he pushed his brother down the shaft. Gold makes you do crazy things apparently. However he wasn't successful with us and as the lights in the shaft flicker on above us, we are lucky and will live to see another day as we are pulled back to the top.

So, there you go. In all, a ride cycle takes around five minutes from load to unload. As much as I explained it above, you really can't describe this ride well enough. It is such a unique experience. The drop is unbelievable, though it is only 110 feet. However in the pitch blackness you really can't see how far you have to go. Luckily I have this picture for you:

Even that picture doesn't show the true height of the ride. I have been telling people that I hate drop rides, but this one you have to do. Almost everyone can't help but grin after riding. (That is after you catch your breath.) It is well worth your time to come up and visit us, this is one ride you will never forget!

Below are some more pictures and another video. If you have anymore questions about the ride, the park, etc, feel free to ask!

That gear turns when the park is open. The wood is from an actually mine that is on the property, hooray for more authenticity.

The logo is simple, sweet, and to the point. I love the chain breaking.

The control panel for those into that.

The ride requirements.

And a bonus shot of our two Adventure Vehicles. These are the military trucks we've been talking about. The third one is due to arrive by the end of month. Hope you enjoyed looking!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7OeUdQdhP8