TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Gyeongju World 2018 Attractions

So Gyeongju World updated the site to include the new attractions coming to their 3rd gate Snow Park. It's listed as a 3rd gate on the site but I think looking at prices it might be included in admission for Gyeongju World or a cheaper separate admission for people who only want the snow tube slopes. Perhaps Tim can chime in and clear that up. I guess it could work as a completey separate gate, as a winter alternative to the water park, since currently it's only the slopes but I couldn't see how that would work in the summer with only three rides.

Anyway the new rides are a Zamperla Air Race in May 2017, a Zamperla Mega Swing 360 in January 2018 and the long rumored B&M Dive coaster (at least judging by the Sheikra picture) in May 2018. I find it interesting that in the last 8 years I lived here the only ride I've seen installed with a high-ish height restriction was a Disk-o at Lotte World until this year when E-Land opened an Air Race and Mega Swing 360 and now the same two rides are coming to a different park in Korea. With a Zamperla Thunderbolt coming as well somewhere (and North Korea's main amusement park being full of them) Zamperla seems to be doing quite well here.

nc120.thumb.jpg.e8b0fb0ef09f03a6a3cf418edd15fd2b.jpg

Source

nc320.thumb.jpg.a98490149c9a15dbbc54ee863d96043d.jpg

Source

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Yea but I don't put too much faith in Korean concept art, it changes all the time. Look at the gyro swing that Children's Park had on it's art and was still removed during the remodel. The concept art you posted was when it was a 2016 project themed to an alpine village before it became the 2018 project and themed to Fantasy Realms so it could still be the teal track if the plans were altered (although the Sheikra picture makes me hopeful it hasn't been.) I'm just glad to see any big coaster since it will be 10 years since T Express at Everland by the time it opens.

A lot of concept arts or signs are put up and left or is just a placeholder before things get confirmed even when plans change or get abandoned. Eagle's Fortress had a under refurbishment sign for years after it closed down and even now that site is covered with pictures of a grand hotel for Spring 2017 when the land is still just a flattened dirt pile. Very rarely does the art turn out anywhere near the final version.

Heck, I've got so used to smaller rides coming to Korea that, although this new update with a picture of Sheikra put those fears a little more to rest for me, with the construction site empty for so long, coupled with the news of a Zamperla Thunderbolt coming to Korea apparently around 2018, and the press release focusing more on "a 90 degree drop", I really thought that it might be what ended up here instead. Trust me, no-one wants to see a big B&M here more than me, and I would much prefer it over a Thunderbolt, but I've learnt that you really have to wait until track or the ride is on site here to know what the final version is. Heck even that original art showed a Mondial Ultra Max before they settled on the Zamperla model.

• 4 months later...

I really hope not. The fact that it's the only Korean park with a B&M should make me hopeful but who knows. The fact the official site uses a TPR video complete with Robb's commentary makes me laugh.

But then again I've seen projects so different from their artwork here part of me thinks that until track shows up this 90 degree drop they keep advertising will be the Zamperla Thunderbolt coming to Korea despite the B&M concept art and videos.

Golden Horse did build the shoot the chutes ride for Gyeongju World. With this ride being announced by the park and no western manufacturer talking about this ride, plus the fact that Golden Horse built the water ride, I think this is a good indication that this new coaster may be Golden Horse.

Golden Horse did build the shoot the chutes ride for Gyeongju World. With this ride being announced by the park and no western manufacturer talking about this ride, plus the fact that Golden Horse built the water ride, I think this is a good indication that this new coaster may be Golden Horse.

I think if this was the case, B&M would surely contact them about it right. They are allowed to refuse maintenance to Phaethon because of this if I am correct? I don't see why they should expect to get one of their other rides maintained if they build a knockoff.

That is a very good point. It all depends on the contract they signed with the park, What if Golden Horse does build a dive machine, but they do not make it look exactly like a B&M? Would this still be allowed? It would seem that the right to build roller coasters would be in the public domain, but the technology each company uses would not be.

If it is Golden Horse and similar but not the same as a Dive Machine I don't think B&M could do too much (Even if it was identical perhaps) and to be fair B&M have done pretty much the same thing by knocking off the Vekoma SFC.

However I actually agree with Garet here. Zamperla have announced a new Thunderbolt for South Korea and the other 2 rides this park have announced are both Zamperla flat rides. I wouldn't be surprised at all of this turns out to be that Thunderbolt.

If it is Golden Horse and similar but not the same as a Dive Machine I don't think B&M could do too much (Even if it was identical perhaps) and to be fair B&M have done pretty much the same thing by knocking off the Vekoma SFC.

However I actually agree with Garet here. Zamperla have announced a new Thunderbolt for South Korea and the other 2 rides this park have announced are both Zamperla flat rides. I wouldn't be surprised at all of this turns out to be that Thunderbolt.

The only thing that holds me back from that is E-Land also just added the same two Zamperla rides so it could be potentially there instead. The other thing is the construction site seems a little big, there's a picture of it on RCDB but I also think that's where two areas are going: Midgard and Nifelheim with the megaswing as well. As I said all artwork points to a B&M Dive Coaster (I'm really hoping it's also not Golden Horse) but I've seen enough artwork be crazily different that I tend to only read the Korean and all that mentions is 90 degree drop which could be a Thunderbolt. I won't get my hopes up until the track shows up.

Bummer if this turns out to be a Golden Horse ride. It would honestly knock Korea back down our list to return to.

Last time TPR visited was 2008? And since then in terms of roller coasters:

Minus one Eagles Fortress (to be replaced with a garden), the Aquatrax become just a trax (I can't remember the last time it ran the water) and the only addition is one Vekoma Family Suspended.

However coming soon is Legoland Korea, the Jeju Resort and potentiality a Dive Coaster of some sort/Thunderbolt.

Edited by Garet

^Also throw in the fact that one of the big topics here, especially since the Sewol disaster, is about putting safety over cutting costs. There would be a lot of bad publicity if the ride so much as e-stopped for a few hours and the press got wind the park had skipped on costs to get a Chinese knock-off prototype over the real thing.

Last time TPR visited was 2008? And since then in terms of roller coasters:

Minus one Eagles Fortress (to be replaced with a garden), the Aquatrax become just a trax (I can't remember the last time it ran the water) and the only addition is one Vekoma Family Suspended.

However coming soon is Legoland Korea, the Jeju Resort and potentiality a Dive Coaster of some sort/Thunderbolt.

Is it becoming a garden. What a disappointment, how-come they cancelled the hotel? As you can probably tell from my avatar I quite liked the look of Eagle Fortress

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...