TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

When people ask us why we don't do TPR tours anymore...

I posted this in the CP thread but it's probably more appropriate here...

And this is why we have a zero tolerance policy on stupidity in these forums. If you're going to post stuff JUST to "get banned" to brag about it on some idiot Facebook group then dammit, we will happily ban your stupid A$$...

I would hate for my life to have so little meaning that getting banned from TPR for saying stupid crap on purpose gives me fulfillment in life.

I don't honestly believe that that was ever their intention. In most cases they probably never wanted to get banned but when they were banned for being stupid they decided that rather than own up to the fact that maybe they said something stupid or did something wrong they would go seek out an online support group that would tell them they were wonderful, "salute" them and tell them that it's not their fault (and subsequently make it TPR's fault). It's easier to blame someone else and go seeking approval / validation than it is to admit you f*cked up and either apologize or just acknowledge it move on.

You're right. Why I implied that most came with the intent to get banned was incorrect. I guessed I just focused on the whole "Congratulations, you got banned!" thing and continued on with the post.

As stated above, most of those users were normal people who didn't take the time to realize what they did wrong and try to fix it. That's one of the things I like about Robb and TPR: If you say/do something stupid and get banned, you can send Robb an email apologizing for what you did and, unless you're a complete asshat, he will unban you.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never took a TPR tour but I've been following this forum for many years. I've seen the trip reports and they all look fun but I'm the type of person who likes to plan stuff myself. I appreciate TPR because it allows me to read this forum FOR FREE (Thanks) and gain knowledge in order to plan my own trips. I don't post a lot, but I do read this forum a lot. And from reading this thread, I can understand why there's no TPR tours anymore, makes sense...Some people just suck. Which is why I stay away from touring in large groups. Small groups of people you know is the way to go!

• 1 month later...
I've never took a TPR tour but I've been following this forum for many years. I've seen the trip reports and they all look fun but I'm the type of person who likes to plan stuff myself. I appreciate TPR because it allows me to read this forum FOR FREE (Thanks) and gain knowledge in order to plan my own trips. I don't post a lot, but I do read this forum a lot. And from reading this thread, I can understand why there's no TPR tours anymore, makes sense...Some people just suck. Which is why I stay away from touring in large groups. Small groups of people you know is the way to go!

Who knows, maybe one day we'll do them again... Thanks for the kind words!

Robb, although I have not had the pleasure of going on any of the week or longer trips with you I have been to several Media Day events with you and a couple WCB's as well as production shoots for one thing or another and always had a great time except for a few of those trolls mentioned in this thread. It doesn't matter where you go, there will always be a few. I for one have no complaints with you or your family. Keep up the good work. Looking forward to seeing you at the next Media Day event

I don't know if I expressed it to the Alveys at the time (I'm sure I said something) but when we pulled into Stricker's Grove during the Mini New Hotness Tour, that was one of my pure delights and surprises of the trip. Sad that the extra stuff like that went unappreciated or people just expected these types of bonuses. Has to be soul-sucking.

Just had to make a comment on this one.

Went on tour several times with TPR and not once did I got the intention that you were out there to have fun. You did, but that was not the intention.

So much things to handle and arrange, people showing up late and the follow up on that one, entrance change or schedule changes, getting everybody in one place at the same time for a speech or lunch/diner time, the list goes on and on.. Nobody sees these things, but to do a good and proper tour you have to stay focused 24/7.

When I got injured on the midwest tour during the day and it got worse during the night (I was in a lot of pain) Rob and Elissa arranged for me to go to the hospital in the evening when everybody was having a good time in the bar. Worried when we came back in the night and even checked up on us while they were visiting a park with al the others the next day..!!

And I think that a lot of unseen and unnoticed things were happening that we all don't know of...

So anyone who is complaining about not getting treated fair should look in the mirror first, and I don't think that they are going to like what they see...

But then hey, they will never look in the mirror at the first place...!!

I know it is a business for you and you sure treat it as that, my complements for all the work you've been doing for all the past years and I think that I will be joining a tour in the nearby future again if you decide to do something again (and if I'm still welcome ;-) ....

Hey I cut my foot open on that trip, at Holiday World, after a trip to first aid Elissa asked me if I used the band aid that they handed out. I used that one the next day as my foot opened up again in the morning.

Seems like I'm echoing here, but what's the point of having a business if you aren't having some fun. Seriously Robb and Elissa run a very excellent events and tours, I've done a few tours and many events (WCB). They set rules and enforce them equally without bias or favoritism. (trust me on this, I missed a bus on a tour). I have seen them sacrifice time to make sure things are going well. Spending time with park management to make sure our ERT went well, Lunch was set, Spending time shooting video and pictures, for our trip videos. They really do so much behind the scenes to make sure it goes well. These are just a few things I've noticed, after the trips were going. Plus all the pre-planning. But sometimes every coaster for ERT just breaks down And the hotel has no power, Crap happens but it's how they deal with it that is so Impressive.

I know I didn't see it all as I was off having fun.

I look back at those trips and there are some great memories there, well worth it.

Sad to see a few have destroyed something so good.

On the lighter side After all some times "it's all about Brian" that really was a great Trip.

Dws_57

^ & ^^ Ahhh, 2007 was still the "good years." When getting perks on trips and stuff hadn't gotten old hat and people still appreciated them instead of expecting them. The sense of entitlement hadn't set in yet, and other than a few people that we quickly booted out, the majority of the group made up for it. 2006 - 2009 were our "golden years." 2010 started the downfall and after 2014, forget it!

Not to say everyone was bad, absolutely not. But in 2007 when we'd have 100 people on a trip and maybe *MAYBE* 5 of them were trouble for us, in 2014 the number was getting close to half.

But it's all good...maybe one day we'll change our minds and see what happens!

LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Someone on Facebook on an official Kings Island post is complaining that they are giving first rider t-shirts to those who are donating to their charity event. This person has gotten t-shirts for all their previous rides / that they should re-think their strategy because of how much they spend at the park and shouldn't do a fundraiser. It is so cringey trying to read through it and they aren't even trolling. Then you read through this thread. I can't believe there are so many people like this out there that just don't get it / are self entitled a**holes. Ugh. I can understand why you don't want to be associated with some of us and I know you've seen MUCH worse over the years. Thanks for all you do and put up with.

Sometimes people choose to use Ad Hominems to attack another person instead of attacking their argument. If you have to resort to attacking one's family because you disagree with them, then it is very childish to do so. The guy seems to have some underline insecurity about himself and has to take it out on others to make him feel better about himself.

I know I'm not an active poster on this site. I sometimes don't visit this site for a long time because life gets in the way. However, I've been following Robb and TPR for few years now and I must say that I have a profound respect for him and what he does. I have learned a lot about theme parks and roller coasters just from reading some of the forums on here. It's a shame that this kind of things happens to good people. I was really looking forward to going on a trip with them in the future, but I completely understand where Robb is coming from. I would get so stressed out if I had to deal with the same BS that he has to go through. I can't even imagine!

• 2 weeks later...

I only now read abut this because I got a TPR Email asking about an upcoming tour. I'm not totally clear if Robb is going to stop doing WCB as well (hoping not), but, jeez, it's really sad to see how people have taken for granted what TPR has provided over the years.

Let me tell a tiny story that happened way back when I attended my first WCB (don't recall the year), but it was back when I used to be able to remember things. There was some sort of prize giveaway at SFMM, and I won a Revolution poster. Somehow I forgot to pick it up at the presentation, so I approached Robb while he was resting at a bench. He offered to get the poster from park management and ship it to me. I did not realize that the time that Robb was personally organizing these events; I thought he worked for some bigger organization and he'd be reimbursed. I came to realize I was totally wrong. He is organizing these events for us. He is owning the hassle of dealing with park management, answering tons of questions, coordinating with airlines, hotels, etc. Arranging food, Q-bots, etc. That stuff doesn't magically happen. I immediately sent Robb some Paypal bucks to thank him for sending me the poster. A stupid little poster. He had NO REASON to care about doing this - we had essentially just met. But he did it because he was a nice guy.

Personally, I wouldn't have put up with half as much crap as he has. I'd find some other hobby where I could be around people who are on average more pleasant. I feel like he's getting to that point, and I cannot blame him. If WCB doesn't happen this year my kids and I will miss it, but I'll explain to them that when people do something good and get complaints in return, it makes them not want to make the effort next time. I've always made a point of finding Robb and Elissa at every event we attend and thanking them for putting it on.

By the way, everyone remember the recent WCB where Robb showed up with a bum leg and had to get around Magic Freaking MOUNTAIN on a self-powered scooter? You think that was having a "Six Flags Day" then? Me neither. But he did it. Aaaaaaand people later complained about every little thing that was not done for them by the park or by Robb, for the sake of complaining.

Apologies for the venting. Hope to see events happen again someday.

I only now read abut this because I got a TPR Email asking about an upcoming tour. I'm not totally clear if Robb is going to stop doing WCB as well (hoping not), but, jeez, it's really sad to see how people have taken for granted what TPR has provided over the years

Thanks for the awesome feedback!

We ARE still doing West Coast Bash! That is totally in the plans! This year is a little more tricky because the dates we normally do WCB we are going to be in Germany for Oktoberfest. So we hope we can make it work. But yes, WCB is still 100% on!

if you got an email about trips, well that's because you're special! And just keep that to yourself!

We ARE still doing West Coast Bash! That is totally in the plans! This year is a little more tricky because the dates we normally do WCB we are going to be in Germany for Oktoberfest. So we hope we can make it work. But yes, WCB is still 100% on!

This is superb news! After 3 years off I have finally committed to the WCB this year, so I am very relieved to hear this. Any date, I am there.

Did want to add to hauntguy's post. The 2013 WCB was an amazing time for me, not just SF:MM but I was able to make a week and a half long California vacation out of it, my first time ever in the state.

Anyway, at that WCB X2 was closed, and Robb got us last second ERT on Green Lantern. He swung by to say he felt bad and wanted us to have some type of 4th dimension spinning, or along those lines. Was very cool of him. Our night ERT also was thrown off because the park didn't close lines early, so our ERT was packed and Robb managed to get the ERT extended for us. Must've been insane to get that done, especially on the fly like that. He certainly didn't need to, these were things entirely out of his hands but he managed to get em done.

I also made TPR trips to Kings Dominion and Knoebels, each time bumped into Robb during the day and he was always friendly, down to Earth, would chill for a moment and chat.

You know, I went back and re-read the first post I made in this thread, just to make sure that it wasn't out of line or anything. Man, I still find it HILARIOUS! lol I find myself smh at people more and more each day....

*sigh*

This is superb news! After 3 years off I have finally committed to the WCB this year, so I am very relieved to hear this. Any date, I am there.

Did want to add to hauntguy's post. The 2013 WCB was an amazing time for me, not just SF:MM but I was able to make a week and a half long California vacation out of it, my first time ever in the state.

Anyway, at that WCB X2 was closed, and Robb got us last second ERT on Green Lantern. He swung by to say he felt bad and wanted us to have some type of 4th dimension spinning, or along those lines. Was very cool of him. Our night ERT also was thrown off because the park didn't close lines early, so our ERT was packed and Robb managed to get the ERT extended for us. Must've been insane to get that done, especially on the fly like that. He certainly didn't need to, these were things entirely out of his hands but he managed to get em done.

I also made TPR trips to Kings Dominion and Knoebels, each time bumped into Robb during the day and he was always friendly, down to Earth, would chill for a moment and chat.

To echo this, the only TPR event I've ever done was WCB in 2012, and it was an absolute blast! Myself and two non-TPR friends had the best time we'd ever had SFMM despite pretty brutal daytime lines, and getting one of our pictures featured in the official TR blew them away. You all even got them to enjoy an entire presentation on drop-tower schematics for nearly an hour. I can't get them to focus on ANYTHING for an hour. It was massively impressive.

Anyway, I totally understand your reasoning for the rest of the thread and the tours though, Robb. I'm usually the "coordinator" for theme park trips for my girlfriend's friends and I and it can be an absolute nightmare. You start seeing twentysomethings as pitiable (and often intolerable) kids, and keeping things even loosely on track when a wrench in the works comes up can be borderline impossible. When something promised comes up short too, it feels like you're the most hated person in the room even with half the group rallying behind your efforts. It's super rewarding when things go right, and a bloody nightmare when they don't!

Still, if the trips ever come back, I'd absolutely love to do one. I grew up reading the TR's here and while I don't normally find myself drawn to "tour" vacations, these have always been the exception. If they never do though, hey, the reading material they generated will suffice well enough at least!

I only now read abut this because I got a TPR Email asking about an upcoming tour. I'm not totally clear if Robb is going to stop doing WCB as well (hoping not), but, jeez, it's really sad to see how people have taken for granted what TPR has provided over the years

Thanks for the awesome feedback!

if you got an email about trips, well that's because you're special! And just keep that to yourself!

This is a great reminder to update my email attached to TPR.

Omg, I haven't read this entire thread but wow the first thing I thought of was a friend I have in Florida. She came up to Kentucky to visit and I went on and on about how awesome Cedar Point is. I grew up in Detroit and went every year and after I got married I took my husband for the first time and he became hooked as well. So I had this great trip planned, everything was ok Saturday night when we arrived, we hit a couple rides and saw a show but didn't plan on really hitting the park until the next day. When we were leaving the park it was kind of odd that there were food stands and restrooms closed but I didn't think much about. Well before going to bed I had jumped on a cedar point forum and found out there was a water main break and it was sketchy on whether the park would even open. Well that immediately got my friend going and she started complaining that it better be fixed blah, blah, blah. We were staying at the budge property on site since we didn't have season passes and wanted the benefit of early entry, etc. Well during the night a letter was left for everyone that stated the park would be opening but no early entry, she hit the roof that we paid all this money, in my head I'm thinking like they really planned this.

I knew it was going to be a horrible experience just by her attitude, well we got to the park and she immediately went to guest services complaining that she wanted money back because she couldn't get in early, it was so embarrassing. They finally gave her some front of the line passes just to shut her up and assured her almost everything was running except the water park and a few stands. Well of course she's upset about the water park but I just ignored it. We did one ride, Valravyn, which she was happy about but then it all went downhill. We went to dragster, it was down so she started complaining, I told her this happens and we will just come back. So we headed to Millennium force, big problem, she couldn't fit in the seat, she started that she wasn't any bigger than my husband and how this is so wrong, I just wanted to crawl in a hole and die, but instead rode with my husband and left her there. Once we got off she was in fine form, so we headed back to dragster but I knew in my head there was no way she was going to fit and of course she didn't. Well she started how the parks in Florida are not like this and how wrong it is, tried to tell her its for safety but she would have none of it. We then wanted to wait to get a spot for iron dragon virtual reality, when they were not there right at noon I thought she was going to blow a gasket, I said well I'm thirsty so let's get something to drink, omg, wrong thing to say, 2 stands aren't open and she went balistic, so she went to guest services and started complaining how this is the worst park ever and they aren't running the way they should and never should have even opened, I was completely mortified, the kicker was she decided we would leave and get a full refund. I was beyond upset as this was my one vacation, we don't have a car so we had to rent one and I knew we would not get another chance to cone back. She wanted to just drive back to Kentucky but I was like no I want to ride roller coasters so I said we are going to kings island. The car ride was pure hell, my poor husband had to use the restroom and she wouldn't stop. We finally got to our hotel and I said we are going out for dinner, I was not about to stay in the hotel all night, so we went to a Japanese hibachi restaurant, omg horrible, she claimed to have a migraine and all she did was sit w her head on the table never acknowledging the staff and ate 2 bites of dinner. By the time we got back I was furious as she started that we weren't going to purchase tickets for the park til the next morning as she didn't know how she was going to feel. I told my husband we are going, I don't care if she has to sit in the hotel all day. Well she was fine by morning, but I was a little leary as I didn't know if this park would be any better in her eyes, well she liked it somewhat better and fit on the rides, but in the afternoon we decided to go to the water park, she goes in the restroom and puts her bathing suit on and is walking around kings island like this, she was pissed that people were looking at her, well I wonder why, maybe because you are not supposed to walk around that park on swimwear! So after all this she decides she has to change clothes, well the restroom was busy and she went on and on about how dirty it was and this would never happen at Disney or universal, no the bathroom was not dirty. But the complaining was not done yet...the fsmikt6dryer she spent money on didn't dry her off to her liking, by this time i was ready to just go home and get her on a plane back to Florida!

You would think we would have learned our lesson to never travel with her again but oh no we didnt, she came back for a visit last month and the first night we were going to Waverly Hills Sanatorium, well she was the obnoxious one in the group, loud mouth, talking above the tour guide and taking pictures when we were not allowed to. The next day we were going to Corbin, KY for a Brantley Gilbert concert. We had paid $189 a ticket for VIP tickets that included a private acoustic performance and q&a w Brantley. My husband and I were beyond excited as this is our favorite artist, well again she started at the hotel because the rooms weren't ready yet. Then it was she didn't have a privacy sign for her room. We get to the concert venue and I could tell she was pissed off, well during the q&a my husband who is a recovering addict gave Brantley a special token he had received as Brantley is also in recovery, it was a really big deal to my husband and he got attention from Brantley which pissed her off. We got to our seats and she sat thru the entire show, looking completely miserable and having no fun. After we had a meet and greet pass, she got mad at how long the line was and then because Brantley wouldn't give her a hug, out of respect for his wife.

We have now definitely learned our lesson and will never travel with her again, so I can really emphasize with people that have had to put up with unacceptable behavior. I wish so bad my husband and I could afford to do your U.S. tour but we just can't, but I can tell you if we were ever lucky enough to attend a tour we certainly would never display the type of behavior we've been witness to!

^^ Your story is very much like the people we used to have to put up with on our trips. Elissa and I would figuratively take a beating from people like this until we just couldn't take it anymore, which is why we stopped.

Your whole example about Cedar Point and the water main is perfect. Yes it happened, and yes it sucks. But I assure you that the park was probably even MORE freaked out by it than the guests. And if there is one thing we have learned, being calm and rational gets you a lot further than being obnoxious and horrible.

I can't tell you how many times we've hosted events, even at West Coast Bash where I've had people running up to me, arms flailing yelling at me "ERT STARTED FIVE MINUTES AGO AND THIS RIDE ISN'T OPEN YET YOU SAID THE RIDES WOULD START AT 6:00 AND IT IS 6:04 AND THIS RIDE ISN'T OPEN YOU NEED TO GO TALK TO SOMEONE AND GET THE RIDES OPEN BECAUSE WE ALL PAID MONEY FOR THIS EVENT AND THE RIDES ARE STILL NOT OPEN YET WHAT AM I GOING TO DO OH MY GOD THIS IS LIKE THE WORLD COMING TO AN END OR TRUMP GETTING RE-ELECTED PLEASE GO TELL SOMEONE TO OPEN THE RIDES OMG OMG OMG!!!!!"

and then 6:05 the ride opens.

Ugh. Yeah, we just couldn't take it anymore and that's why we only do our trips now privately and by invite only. It's the only way we were able to weed out the larger assholes from our trips.

On a more of a bummer note, it's sad your friend lives here in Florida. She sounds just like all the obnoxious Orlando fanboys that go around complaining about EVERYTHING. I can't stand them either.

Why is fun so hard for people. I will never understand people like that.

to go with complainers when I worked at Kings Island in games i remember watching this not so nicely kept family playing whack-a-mole several times and they got pissed because they couldn't win. they also got mad that they would pay for the minimum amount to play for their group so it was guaranteed one of them would win and when someone would sit down they would yell at the worker not to take their money that they paid to play and no one else. To cut a long story short they had the games manager for that area brought out and they yelled at him for a half hour until he finally just gave them a prize to get them to go the F away.

No thank goodness she was not a part of our wedding, we just did it at the local court house.

Her behavior has taught me who I will and will not be around. Its almost like she feels entitled because of living in Florida. I know Disney is a whole other level that's hard to compare to but honestly given the choice I would take Cedar Point over Disney any day, but that's because my husband and I are roller coaster fanatics. We were lucky enough to go back for Halloweekends ALONE and had the most wonderful time, all I kept thinking was she would have been complaining the entire time because it was the last weekend of the season and packed. Makes me very thankful for the person that I am and that I don't walk around miserable like she is.

Rob, when I read your first post here I just had to share with everyone my story and how not to act!