Photo TR: Andy's 2015 Trip -- Un Viaje a México con TPR

Page 8: Small Parks of Mexico City
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Day 1 -- La Feria Chapultepec

Postby The Great Zo » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:22 pm

Alright, let's get to the first park of the trip! As foreshadowed in the last report...

Day 1 -- La Feria Chapultepec Mágico
Sunday, March 22, 2015

Scorecard:

Montaña Rusa (Right Lift)
Montaña Rusa (Left Lift)
Montaña Rusa (Right Lift)
Montaña Rusa (Left Lift)
Cascabel [Back]
Los Troncos
Ratón Loco
Power Tower
Reptour
El Martillo
Nao de China
The Jules Verne Orbinaut
-- Lunch --
Cabaña Chueca
Cascabel [Front]

The Report:

The first park day of the trip required no lengthy travel. La Feria Chapultepec, located within the large Bosque de Chapultepec city park, was not even a mile from our hotel.

After partaking in our hotel's friggin' awesome breakfast buffet, we headed off to the park just after 9 AM. The first disappointment of the day came right when we walked up to the gate -- Montaña Triple Loop, the park's triple-looping Schwarzkopf, was in the middle of a painting/refurbishing job and clearly not soon to return to service. That didn't start things off on the best of notes. Figuring out how the morning was going to transpire was a little bit of an adventure, but we ended up getting into the park a little early, and opening our day with a guided tour of the property -- while it was still closed and the rides weren't yet operating. This makes sense, really. After that, we headed to Montaña Rusa for some early rides, and given how that ride was operated later in the day, we're very glad we got on as early as we did. We were all able to take multiple laps, earning the necessary credit for the entire mobius track. We went across the park to Cascabel next, before splitting off and tackling the rest of the park's attractions. The only other coaster, Ratón Loco, did experience some downtime during the day. However, we got on as soon as we saw it had re-opened. We also made a trip through the park's herpetarium (reptile exhibit), which included an opportunity to get pictures while holding a gigantic owl. There's something you don't see everywhere.

After riding (and filming) an assortment of classic / unique / ancient flat rides, we broke for lunch. I have gained a new appreciation for the difficulty and complexity of serving a handful of cut-rate burgers and frozen pizzas to a group of barely over a dozen people. Next time we'll call in some experts with PhDs and chef's hats to ensure the process goes a little more smoothly. Wait times aside, this was one unfortunate theme that popped up a few times on the trip -- in parks serving up plenty of interesting, great-smelling local cuisine, they insisted on feeding us burgers and pizza. Really, this group's adventurous enough for some tacos! Thankfully, I think we all ate very well outside of the parks, so these complaints should be taken with an appropriate level of snark.

After lunch, I split from the group to do some photography around the park, and I think I'm contractually obligated to make sure everyone knows I bailed on the haunted house because I'm a wimp. Once we re-united, we dodged a brief downpour near the park's train station, and indulged in some tequesitos. I don't have a picture of these high-class delicacies, so here's their Twitter account, so you can see them in all their fried-cheese-wrapped-in-dough glory. These shouldn't be good, but they are. They need to be in every US park as soon as possible.

Wrapping up our day at La Feria with a front-row ride on Cascabel, we headed out at about 5 PM, making the short trek back to our hotel before a little more fun in Bosque de Chapultepec in the evening.

Overall Impressions:

La Feria is known as a small, classic urban park -- one with elements of culture and charm amidst the giant metropolis surrounding it. Did the park live up to these expectations? Not quite -- in fact, the place probably leans more toward outmoded and old fashioned, as opposed to quaint and historic. The park's ride lineup is obviously a weak point, though to some degree, that's something that can be excused/expected for a park of this type. It's a strange mix of flats that range from legitimate classics to outdated curiosities. The coaster collection is small, with two relocated Schwarzkopfs and a giant woodie in need of some work. Cascabel is good for multiple rides, as I'd presume the other Schwarzkopf is as well, and Montaña Rusa's got the historic aspect going for it. Outside of those, there really aren't any other can't-miss attractions.

Unfortunately, getting through a handful of rides was a slow process due to the park's rather poor operations. We even had trouble with finalizing the arrangements for our group -- the initial plans didn't get to Robb until just a couple days before, and details were still being firmed up on the drive from the hotel. Dispatch / cycle times across the park ranged from acceptable-ish to slow, with the exception of Montaña Rusa, whose operations were hilariously awful. Here's a dual-station mobius-track coaster, which should be eating people like there's no tomorrow, and the park is running one train with a full queue. This is why I'm glad we got some early-morning pseudo-ERT-ish rides, because the wait was easily an hour long throughout most of the rest of the day. Had to skip a couple minor attractions in the interest of time, despite being at this relatively small park for almost eight hours. Also had to miss the Dolphin show (Exhibición de Delfines) but I figured since every Mexican park has dolphins, I'd catch a show at another park later in the trip. Oops -- never made it to a Dolphin show until Kolmarden in July 2016.

Would I return to La Feria? I'd love to spend more time in Mexico City in the future, including taking some time to explore the rest of Bosque de Chapultepec. If I did that, I'd probably stop in for a couple hours and ride the fun stuff, and maybe one or two of the attractions I missed. I don't think I'd plan a whole day here on my own -- if not for the operations, a quick run through the must-ride attractions might not take that long to complete. Contrary to some reports I'd read, I didn't find the park to be dirty or aesthetically unpleasant. It's not as well up-kept as it could be, and maybe some fresh paint or cohesive design elements wouldn't hurt the haphazard visual "theming," but it's not an ugly park. It does have some charm, but it would be selling the place way too high to put it in a class with other classic / urban parks in the US and Europe. So, that said, my usual disclaimer on a mixed review: any day at a park is a good day. Especially true while visiting a foreign country and experiencing everything that comes along with that!

The Attractions:

Montaña Rusa: When La Feria opened in 1964, Montaña Rusa was the park's star attraction, and in a lot of ways it still is. It's an iconic structure, a rare mobius woodie, and far and away Mexico's most historically important amusement park attraction. Unfortunately, even aside from my thoughts about the ride's operations, it was a little too rough to be enjoyable. Definitely not on a Hades / Son of Beast / Bandit level, and not rough all the way through, but with several very jerky potholes at various spots along the way -- particularly at the bottom of the larger hills. There isn't anything particularly interesting about the layout, either. I will say that I absolutely love the views over Mexico City from the slow curves at the top of the structure. It's definitely worth riding for that reason alone. Oh, and what's the meaning of the name? Montaña Rusa's literal translation is "Russian Mountain," but in Spanish, it's an idiom that means the same thing as "Roller Coaster" in English.

Montaña Infinitum / Montaña Triple Loop / Quimera: This ride, since moving to Mexico after stops in three different countries (Germany, Malaysia, UK), has been through three names in a decade. It also literally had a guy on a platform in one of the loops doing a paint job. A pretty clear sign that it wouldn't be opening. That's a shame, as it's a classic, and supposedly a pretty good coaster.

Cascabel: Thankfully, the park's other Schwarzkopf was running very nicely for us! Cascabel (or Cascabel 2.0) was clearly the best ride operating at La Feria for our visit. I'd bet most people on this board had their first shuttle loop experience at Knott's (Montezooma's Revenge), or maybe even Kentucky Kingdom (Greezed Lightnin'). Here's a fun fact: if you rode Laser Loop at Kennywood, then you've been on Cascabel -- the ride was moved from West Mifflin to Mexico City in the early 90s. See here for Robb's video of Cascabel in action.

Ratón Loco: This is a pretty standard Reverchon spinning mouse -- to keep the Kennywood connection going, it's the same model as Exterminator at that park. A decent ride, but we've all been on these before. Good for a spin.

Power Tower: This may be the only ride on the planet that's actually been themed to both Coke and Pepsi. To the chagrin of the owners of this website, I'm sure, La Feria seems to have settled on Pepsi. A rare example of one of these rides made by Maurer Sohne, it's not simply a drop ride -- they run a program with two or three cycles up and down the tower. Nice views from up top.

Los Troncos: I'm a sucker for classic log flumes, so I braved getting a little wet, even in Mexico City. This one is on the small side, and I won't say it's among the world's most aesthetically pleasing flumes, but it was fun. Also, I didn't get injured while riding it, so there's that. I'll never get down on a park for keeping one of these around.

The Jules Verne Orbinaut: Quite simply the most advanced motion simulator ride I've ever been on. This is a pioneering landmark in ride engineering. Universal and Disney have nothing on Julio Verne. From the life-like rocket we all boarded, to the advanced CGI on our trek through a land filled with dinosaurs and exotic creatures, it's truly an experience unlike any other.

El Martillo: Oh boy. A classic Loop-o-Plane, this was every bit as uncomfortable and headache-inducing as I'd feared. Laugh really hard while you're on it, then swear to never ride again when you get off. Robb's got a great video from riding this thing, but you may want to pop some nausea medication before you watch.

Nao de China: After El Martillo, I was expecting to hate this, especially as I'm no fan of hangtime. Thankfully, this Weber Traumboot -- a ride type I'm not sure exists in the US -- was actually pretty fun. Robb has video of this one also. I'm sure the ker-chunk at 0:47 in the video is absolutely nothing to be concerned about at all.

Cabaña Chueca: I think there is a requirement that every theme park in Mexico must have three things. One: a herpetarium. Two: a dolphin show. Three: a wacky shack. They go under several names, but the concept is always the same -- a decrepit old house carefully constructed for maximum optical illusory confusion. The challenge with visiting one of these in Mexico is that they're guided, extremely fast-paced, and narrated entirely in Spanish. I'm not sure we had a clue what was going on, but Nozzy was selected to participate in doing the toughest sit-ups of his life, so I guess at least somebody got some exercise out of it.
Last edited by The Great Zo on Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:13 am.
-- Andy

Day 1 -- The Pictures (Part 1)

Postby The Great Zo » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:23 pm

Day 1 -- The Pictures (Part 1)
20150322_0015.jpg
Good morning from Mexico City! A view from my hotel room.
20150322_0022.jpg
We have arrived at La Feria Chapultepec. Chapultepec translates roughly to "Grasshopper Hill," though that says nothing regarding to the anthropomorphic rodents and alligator.
20150322_0024.jpg
This is the park's main gate, which isn't particularly spectacular. You'll also notice their advertisement for a "pase anual" which might or might not be what you think it is.
20150322_0026.jpg
Bienvenidos! Anyone have a paintbrush?
20150322_0032.jpg
The first thing we see upon arrival at the park is that the park's triple-looping Schwarzkopf is out of service -- we didn't know about this in advance, since the park doesn't really communicate that kind of information anywhere.
20150322_0034.jpg
Oh, there's the paintbrush I was looking for. I would estimate a near-zero chance of coaster trains passing through these loops any time soon.
20150322_0035.jpg
The bright yellow paint did look nice. After the re-paint was finished, the loop supports were also changed to a bright red.
20150322_0037.jpg
It's a nice looking coaster, and it's a shame we couldn't ride. Also, note the Pepsi advertisement -- the first of many. Also, I'm pretty sure that "PEPSILINDROS" has nothing to do with the Philadelphia Flyers hall-of-famer. Also, that feels weird to type.
20150322_0040.jpg
A view over the rest of the park from the entry area.
20150322_0042.jpg
There's Montaña Rusa in action, behind ... a DJ'ing potato chip?
20150322_0043.jpg
Yes, a DJing potato chip.
20150322_0046.jpg
This post brought to you by Ruffles, PepsiCo, and what appears to be an awesome attempt to connect to youth culture circa 1995.
20150322_0048.jpg
On the other side of the entrance area, what's this monstrosity?
20150322_0050.jpg
This is La Cola de Chester Cheetos. It's a giant bouncy slide ... themed to another Frito-Lay / PepsiCo mascot. This slide was open for kids only, but we'd get another shot at a different park a few days later.
20150322_0052.jpg
If you're on the highway outside the park, your view will be consumed by the giant figure of this sunglasses-wearing cheetah. At this point we're a stack of pogs and a pair of roller blades away from this being the most awesome set of anachronistic park theming in existence.
20150322_0054.jpg
Enough from your sponsors, let's get to the rides!
20150322_0055.jpg
We went to Montaña Rusa first thing in the morning, entering this very colorful station.
20150322_0056.jpg
The station entrance is actually on a level above the boarding area, which is at ground level.
20150322_0057.jpg
Here's a view from near the exit, after a line had begun to develop.
20150322_0059.jpg
Let's all just stand around and look at an empty train. Maybe we'll put some people in there eventually.
20150322_0060.jpg
If I'm reading this sign correctly, Luis Felipe Santamaria rode Montaña Rusa 1,333 times between February 27 and March 8, 2006. He's never been seen or heard from since.
20150322_0061.jpg
To ride safely, attach your lego claw hands and get naked.
20150322_0062.jpg
I believe this sign is commemorating a reconstruction of Montaña Rusa in 1987. They're a little overdue for another one.
20150322_0064.jpg
Awesome art at the top of the station! If you're waiting in line like most people, you should have plenty of time to admire it.
20150322_0066.jpg
Robb and Ryan are obviously super excited for, what, maybe their 6th or 7th lap?
20150322_0068.jpg
Alright, let's check this thing out. Oh, and no rules were broken during the collection of these photographs, because that would imply that there are rules.
20150322_0069.jpg
Oh, so there /are/ rules: don't raise your hands, don't take off your legs, and don't go to the bar.
20150322_0070.jpg
A nice view of the pick-a-name-already Schwarzkopf across the park.
20150322_0071.jpg
Oh, and this thing. We'll get to this thing!
20150322_0072.jpg
This might be the best part of the ride -- a killer view of downtown Mexico City from the first big turn.
20150322_0073.jpg
Background: the TPR hotel.

Foreground: an operational lightning rod.
20150322_0074.jpg
Just across the park, the tallest buildings on Paseo de la Reforma. Chapultepec Castle makes an appearance in this shot as well.
20150322_0076.jpg
Now, the fun begins.
20150322_0077.jpg
It's a very nice looking structure, but the ride experience doesn't live up to its historic status.
20150322_0078.jpg
The red/green/white colors look great. I do hope they take care of this coaster in the future, because it's got the potential to be a lot of fun. But as for now?
20150322_0080.jpg
Well, the varied expressions kind of tell the story.
20150322_0082.jpg
Now for some off-ride shots of Montaña Rusa. Or, if you get bored of pictures of the coaster, just play "count the Pepsi logos."
20150322_0084.jpg
But really, don't raise your hands.
20150322_0086.jpg
One train goes up the lift.
20150322_0087.jpg
Just one train, because that's how Montaña Rusa rolls.
20150322_0088.jpg
A train of obedient riders.
20150322_0089.jpg
Cresting the lift and heading down.
20150322_0091.jpg
The hills on this ride delivered some airtime, but not necessarily of the comfortable variety.
20150322_0092.jpg
Here's a fun fact! Montaña Rusa was part of the inspiration for Colossus at Six Flags Magic Mountain.
20150322_0094.jpg
Making a big turn past the coaster's infield, which is filled (in part) with an upcharge go-kart track.
20150322_0095.jpg
When Montaña Rusa opened in 1964, it was the world's tallest roller coaster at 110 feet.
20150322_0096.jpg
This ride would be so much more fun to photograph if both sides were operating.
20150322_0098.jpg
Down the hill...
20150322_0100.jpg
...up the hill.
20150322_0102.jpg
There are a few good spots to get views of the ride, mainly from the back half of the park.
20150322_0104.jpg
Since it's a mobius-track woodie, it was important to ride both sides to complete one full circuit. They felt pretty much the same to me.
20150322_0110.jpg
Next up? Cascabel. Or is it Cascabel 2.0?
20150322_0111.jpg
The lego-slinky-robot snake seems to indicate that the ride's official name has been changed, but outside of some adjustments to the theming and a new paint job, I have no idea what's different.
20150322_0112.jpg
The lengthy queue ramp was thankfully mostly empty. To be fair, Cascabel had some of the better operations in the park.
20150322_0113.jpg
Better, but not perfect, I say while waiting for the gates to open.
20150322_0115.jpg
Cascabel's a classic Schwarzkopf shuttle loop -- a launched looping coaster with no horizontal curves.
20150322_0119.jpg
Cascabel was originally opened at Kennywood in 1980, but re-opened at La Feria in 1994.
20150322_0120.jpg
It's a Schwarzkopf, so you know the loop's going to be intense -- especially on the outbound leg.
20150322_0122.jpg
I'm not sure this one was launching quite as fast as it could, but it was still a lot of fun!
20150322_0124.jpg
From the front spike to the back spike.
20150322_0128.jpg
This might be the most fun part of the ride -- anyone in the back half of the train is getting some legitimate airtime!
20150322_0129.jpg
Montaña Rusa might have Cascabel beat on history, but at least during our visit, Cascabel was far and away the best ride at La Feria.
20150322_0130.jpg
The public seemed to love it as much as we did.
20150322_0132.jpg
The bright green trains look pretty nice, too.
20150322_0134.jpg
Off the back spike and coasting into the station.
Last edited by The Great Zo on Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:36 am.
-- Andy

Day 1 -- The Pictures (Part 2)

Postby The Great Zo » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:23 pm

Day 1 -- The Pictures (Part 2)
20150322_0136.jpg
The park's only other coaster is Ratón Loco, a standard-issue spinning mouse.
20150322_0138.jpg
The ride did experience some downtime, but we got a lap to earn the credit.
20150322_0140.jpg
Los Troncos ("The Logs" or "The Trunks") is the park's small-ish log flume.
20150322_0142.jpg
This is one ride that required little-to-no wait!
20150322_0144.jpg
It starts with a calm outdoor section that passes the midway near Ratón Loco.
20150322_0146.jpg
From there, the ride winds its way through troughs and under walkways until reaching the lift.
20150322_0148.jpg
It's a small drop, so it's fun for the whole family.
20150322_0149.jpg
Fun for this guy, especially.
20150322_0150.jpg
The splash is augmented by plastic shielding, but I don't remember thinking it was an overly wet experience.
20150322_0152.jpg
Nonetheless, picking the wrong seat in a heavy boat might do you in.
20150322_0154.jpg
And yes, in case the question's popped up in the back of your head, I did indeed brave a water ride in Mexico.
20150322_0156.jpg
Not quite a Skloosh-sized wall of water...
20150322_0157.jpg
...but still a decent splash.
20150322_0158.jpg
Happy riders on log 13.
20150322_0160.jpg
Next up is a look at the park's tallest attraction.
20150322_0162.jpg
Here's the Power Tower, sponsored by...
20150322_0164.jpg
...well, yeah.
20150322_0166.jpg
It's a bizarre Maurer Sohne drop tower, the likes of which I don't think I've seen at any other parks.
20150322_0168.jpg
It runs a cycle with several ups and downs, none of which were especially forceful.
20150322_0170.jpg
It a huge gondola -- probably seats almost as many people as the Intamin gyro drops in the US.
20150322_0172.jpg
Stop. Hammertime.
20150322_0173.jpg
El Martillo is a classic Loop-o-Plane, and a great way to lose track of your grip on reality.
20150322_0174.jpg
Hope you like hangtime and awkward forces.
20150322_0176.jpg
Once was enough!
20150322_0180.jpg
Nao de China -- or La Nao China -- is a big looping boat thing.
20150322_0182.jpg
It was much less uncomfortable than I had anticipated.
20150322_0183.jpg
The bars on the top of the boat are presumably there to keep you from falling out if your primary restraint fails.
20150322_0184.jpg
I have no idea why your primary restraint might fail, because clearly these padded lap bars are in perfect shape.
20150322_0186.jpg
Also, I am 100% confident in the strength of the tape on these ceiling bars, which Nozzy is fully qualified to assess and demonstrate.
20150322_0188.jpg
Surely the bent ladder rungs on the ride's spine are also of no concern to the park's visiting clientele.
20150322_0189.jpg
To further prove this ride's worth and quality, you may enjoy this figure on the front of the boat.
20150322_0192.jpg
From pirate ships to rocket ships -- let's head up the hill.
20150322_0193.jpg
I present the Jules Verne Orbinaut X10!
20150322_0194.jpg
Only the finest in modern amusement technology at La Feria!
20150322_0195.jpg
The seven engines on the back of this rocket are soon to propel us on a breathtaking intergalactic adventure.
20150322_0200.jpg
These high-tech chains and wheels will help control the rocket's motion through space.
20150322_0201.jpg
At the controls of the rocket you'll find Jules Verne himself, which is great because he's an author, not a pilot.
20150322_0202.jpg
This state-of-the-art device under the rocket's nose will surely keep our environment comfortable during the spaceflight.
20150322_0204.jpg
On our way to ... Dino Island! Because nothing says outer space like erupting volcanoes and stegosauruses, rendered in Pixar-quality CGI.
20150322_0206.jpg
From one flying machine to the next. See you later, Jules. It has been fun.
20150322_0208.jpg
Oh, and that's a Lufthansa plane, which foreshadows another trip report I might eventually get working on in a decade or two.
20150322_0210.jpg
Cabaña Chueca is the park's wacky shack.
20150322_0212.jpg
The word "chueca" (or "chueco") translates to something like "crooked" or "not straight" -- though the first result I got on Google was "bow-legged" which could make this whole operation mean something else entirely.
20150322_0214.jpg
But at least somebody got some exercise out of this -- Nozzy proves that sit-ups are difficult when your gravitational frame of reference is askew.
20150322_0220.jpg
Casona del Terror is a year-round haunted house.
20150322_0222.jpg
Jason and Freddy welcome you to this fully-licensed attraction!
20150322_0224.jpg
I am again obligated to report that I skipped the haunt, out of whatever reason you want to assign to me, so here's a picture of some other TPR members who survived the experience. In all seriousness, they said it was a pretty good attraction, so if you're into haunts this is probably worth going through.
20150322_0230.jpg
Time for a lunch break and a view over the rest of the park's attractions.
20150322_0232.jpg
The double-decker carousel looked interesting!
20150322_0234.jpg
Not every park has one of these.
20150322_0236.jpg
Sadly, the horses have seen better days.
20150322_0240.jpg
Since it's a compact urban park, it's no surprise that there's a lot of concrete. There are also steps all over the place, especially in the front half of the park.
20150322_0242.jpg
La Feria has a Condor, which I actually would have liked to ride, as they're pretty fun and aren't easy to find. Unfortunately, the line was probably 30-45 minutes long.
20150322_0246.jpg
The music express was also very busy and lined up.
20150322_0247.jpg
This kiddie version was not as popular.
20150322_0248.jpg
Another must-have attraction for any theme park in Mexico is Las Burbujas -- the bubbles! Unfortunately, these are just for kids.
20150322_0250.jpg
I finally found a theme park train that I had no interest in riding, since it appears that this one takes you directly to prison.
20150322_0252.jpg
Along the way, you'll get great views of ... chain-link fencing and poorly-painted wood coaster supports. Pass.
20150322_0254.jpg
They did have a cute little kids monorail...
20150322_0260.jpg
...and a larger-than-normal bumper car platform.
20150322_0262.jpg
Carros Chocones = Bumper Cars.
20150322_0264.jpg
It's not Knoebels', so why bother?
20150322_0270.jpg
Here are a bunch of people waiting for some kind of show to begin at a makeshift stage. I presumed I was not the target audience for the event.
20150322_0307.jpg
I think I got some ice cream from here. I think it was good. But this is the challenge of not remembering everything when you're 22 months behind on trip reports.
20150322_0378.jpg
La Feria's finest souvenirs: Bicho Robots (AHHH!!) and Horrible Splat Balls (with horrible bugs inside!!)
20150322_0390.jpg
One last spin on Cascabel, and it's a front row ride just after the rain. Great way to end the day!
Last edited by The Great Zo on Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:45 am.
-- Andy

Day 1 Continued -- A Walk in the Park

Postby The Great Zo » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:24 pm

Day 1 Continued -- A Walk in the Park
Sunday, March 22, 2015

Q: Why did three mostly-sane TPR friends willingly eat fried worms and ant larvae?
A: Because they were all out of grasshoppers.

Here are a handful of pictures from Bosque de Chapultepec after our day at La Feria.

20150322_0415.jpg
Took a little trip back into the park.

20150322_0417.jpg
No boats on the lake this time, but awesome colors with sunset approaching.

20150322_0418.jpg
Because no trip to Mexico is complete without meeting Spider-Man, Bat-Caesar, and Captain America.

20150322_0422.jpg
Who is this DC Comics bat person? Toss him overboard!

20150322_0424.jpg
Looks like some sort of stage show or play being set up on another lake in the park.

20150322_0425.jpg
The stage backdrop looks like an Escher print.

20150322_0429.jpg
What's at the end of the rainbow? Probably a homemade popsicle cart. Looks tempting. Don't do it.

20150322_0431.jpg
Vendors of all sorts in the park, selling clothing, snacks, and toys.

20150322_0432.jpg
Or, you can get a henna tattoo, like one of these. Maybe you'd like a bar code? A Hello Kitty? A crucifix?

20150322_0433.jpg
Or, uh...

Yeah, moving on!

20150322_0435.jpg
This is the Altar a la Patria (or Monumento a los Niños Heroes) at the east end of Chapultepec Park.

20150322_0437.jpg
This is another airplane, but I'm easily distracted.

20150322_0439.jpg
The monument (and the altar) are in memory of the Niños Héroes (boy heroes / heroic cadets) who died protecting Chapultepec Castle from invading US forces during the Mexican-American War.

20150322_0442.jpg
I've visited numerous monuments and memorials for US soldiers, so it's really kind of interesting to visit one on the other side of a conflict.

20150322_0443.jpg
The Día de los Niños Héroes (September 13) is a civic holiday in Mexico to celebrate the bravery of the Niños Héroes.

20150322_0455.jpg
A good evening to look at some artwork near the park, with Chapultepec Castle high on the hill in the background.

20150322_0459.jpg
The skyscraper boom in Mexico City hasn't let up since these pictures were taken! Several more are under construction.

20150322_0462.jpg
A rather colorful evening in Mexico City.

20150322_0463.jpg
At the east entrance gate to Bosque de Chapultepec, and there are the roller blades I was hoping to find earlier!

20150322_0464.jpg
Sitting on the steps in front of Mexico's Secretaría de Salud (Secretary of Health) national headquarters.

20150322_0466.jpg
Another monument -- the Estela de Luz (Pillar of Light), built in 2011 to commemorate Mexico's 200th anniversary of independence from Spain.

20150322_0475.jpg
Light evening traffic on a nearby freeway -- easily the least traffic congestion I saw in Mexico.

20150322_0477.jpg
A look east on Paseo de la Reforma.

20150322_0481.jpg
Torre BBVA Bancomer under construction -- now the second tallest building in Mexico.

20150322_0496.jpg
Torre Mayor, now the third tallest building in Mexico. The building under construction behind it is Torre Reforma, which (as of 2016) is the tallest building in the country.

After our tour of the city, we found a place for dinner that had some interesting items on the menu. Sadly, they were indeed all out of chapulines (grasshoppers), which actually means somebody else already ate all of them. So my group -- minus me, as I stuck to the filet, thank you very much -- was forced to settle on...

20150322_0510.jpg
Escamoles -- the edible larvae and pupae of ants, considered an ancient aztec delicacy...

20150322_0515.jpg
...and gusanos de maguey, a type of worm/caterpillar. Apologies for the stock images, but you really needed to see these up close and properly lit.

20150322_0550.jpg
All served up with corn tortillas and salsa verde, as demonstrated by Ryan, because this is Mexico. ¡Buen provecho!
-- Andy

Site Admin

Re: Photo TR: Andy's 2015 Trip -- Un Viaje a México con TPR

Postby SharkTums » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:19 am

The world would be a better place if every amusement park served Tequesitos!!!!!

Postby The Great Zo » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:56 am

SharkTums wrote:The world would be a better place if every amusement park served Tequesitos!!!!!

My own personal theme park heaven serves an unlimited supply of Tequesitos, Cinnamon Bread, Dole Whip, and Stroopwafels. Though, I might never make it on the coasters in that case.
-- Andy

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby bert425 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:03 am

I meant to comment last week. . LOVING this, and brought back tons of memories (I was very well traveled in Mexico as a youth, thanks to my Dad being cheap, and we would drive down to Brownsville, cross the boarder, and fly from Mexico - where he could buy plane tix in pesos!).

the moment I saw the shots of the Museum, I flashed back to the Aztec Calendar stone. .and there was your pic.

really made me miss Mexico City. Last time I was there was before the big Earthquake (that was. . 85?). .so thanks again for the reminders!

looking forwards to the rest of your report.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby The Great Zo » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:58 am

bert425 wrote:Last time I was there was before the big Earthquake (that was. . 85?).

Yup, it was 1985. That area has some tough geographic/geologic issues, between the threat of seismic activity and the fact that the city is on unstable ground and slowly sinking -- for real, not like Magnum or Vortex or whatever. :lmao:
-- Andy

Nothing beats Cali coasters

Postby chickenbowl » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:39 am

I also found Montana Triple Loop closed during my visit a year later than you (March, 2016), so I know how it feels. In fact Montana Rusa was also closed for me... :roll: ohhh La Feria :lol:
Chasing Airtime
Intimidator 305|Maverick|Skyrush|Medusa Steel|Mega-Lite
Lightning Rod|Outlaw Run|El Toro|Phoenix|Voyage

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Postby 805Andrew » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:58 am

Cool trip report so far. Mexico City is a place I would eventually like to visit, even if it is not the highest priority on my list. I've connected through their airport on the way to Cancun back in 2007, but's that's the closest I got to México D.F. I would love to visit all the historically sites (especially the Aztec pyramids) and try some of the crazy street vendors and tacos, as well as see the other interesting sites of the city. I'd definitely visit Six Flags Mexico just for the RMC Medusa, and I'd most likely visit La Feria even if its not that great just because its conveniently located in the middle of the city. I didn't realize Mexico City was that high up in elevation at 7382 ft, that's higher than the base of Lake Tahoe!

Parts of the city and that big park remind me of when I went to Buenos Aires, Argentina in 2004 (minus the amusement park of course). Certain big city parks in BA have a bunch of scattered vendors selling all sorts of stuff just like in your pics.

La Feria reminds me of a Rollercoaster Tycoon park, if they had corporate logos and mascots you could add to your park. That Jules Verne Orbinaut totally looks like the simulator you could add from RCT. It's a shame that mobius woodie was only running one train and that it was pretty rough, but at least it was running I guess. Its also too bad that Schwarzkopf Montaña Triple Loop was closed for painting, but that's the way it goes on these trips sometimes. I remember a couple of minor coasters like a Arrow suspended coaster being closed for painting when I was in Japan, its no big whoop. Not all Schwarzkopfs are good by the way (there, I said it :shockr: ); I don't miss the former Zonga at Six Flags Marine World (Discovery Kingdom) at all, which is somewhere in Mexico I think. Anyways, looking forward to reading more on your report.
http://coaster-count.com/userinfo15854.xhtml and http://www.coastercounter.com/805Andrew
(I don't count traveling fairs and casinos as parks, and I count Coney Island as one park)[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/07c56b6e6c57795b5e848cab51dd406e.jpg[/img][/url][url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/4bcb6d715cbe293b80fdfea5d0baf0b0.jpg[/img][/url]

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!