Robb & Elissa in Asia - 2016!

Page 31 - Our final days at Tokyo Disney!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Re: Robb & Elissa in Asia - 2016!

Postby larrygator » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:55 pm

toughmudder wrote:Robb - great trip report. I've followed the construction progress and opening of this park very closely, and hope to make it there one day. Looks like a beautiful park, and Pirates and Tron look fantastic.

Couple questions - I'm guessing Roaring Rapids was closed? I didn't see you post anything about it. Wondered how the big Quaraq animatronic looked...

I've seen some outrageous video of the Pirates stunt show. Were you able to see it? Some of the stunts look absolutely insane.

I'm intrigued how it could have been so packed on the first day and so empty on the second. I rarely see this on my visits to WDW when there are a lot of tourist groups from overseas... (you get pretty consistently busy days) so wondered if there were reasons for the attendance fluctuation?

Thanks for sharing - and have a great time at HKDL!

Robb did state (either here in in the social feeds) that it is primarily a locals park and he felt that the poor weather outlook on the second day kept many away. The park is quite expensive for many local day trippers.
Last edited by larrygator on Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:15 pm.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby smile73775smile » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:45 pm

ObeyTheShihTzu! wrote:
SharkTums wrote:Some of our Chinese friends we've met up with the last couple days keep apologizing for the behavior we've witnessed a few times. As with Americans, they're not all poorly behaved but some things are just crazy. Like the Disney security yelling in Mandarin to hurry up when they opened a new security line resulting in people pushing and screaming and falling! One of our Chinese friends couldn't believe they kept telling people to hurry as it's so unsafe and they could have told people to calmly fill in the new line instead. I'll also never understand the peeing in public thing when there are nice restrooms everywhere.

I'm sure there are several cultures that feel we're super rude compared to them! (Looking at you Japan and Switzerland!) :)

Oh well, we still had a great time and will certainly be back again!

One last thought on China and cultural differences. In 1980, before Shanghai Disneyland was even a glimmer in Mickey's eye, my mother traveled in one of the first groups of Americans to visit China. It was a thrilling adventure, but probably SO different from the experience travelers have today! The group had to do EVERYTHING as part of a tour - from dining to shopping. They were only allowed to buy gifts from tourist shops (I think called 'Friendship Stores'), and all eating was done banquet style in hotels - none of that "Oh, I think I'll try that quaint little eatery on the corner!" (Of course, Chinese food was nothing like American Chinese food, so at least THAT was a little adventurous.) :)
My mother said her favorite part of the trip was waiting around for the tour buses in the small villages and trying to "chat" with the local Chinese residents who'd never seen Americans before. They were fascinated and really tried to communicate.
One funny anecdote: Before she left NY, my mom called the Chinese Embassy and asked if there were any particular items that Americans could bring in and share with the Chinese people they met. She was told that FOUNTAIN PENS were a "unique item,' and so my mother went to China with bunches of fountain pens! Sure enough, she made many new acquaintances by asking those she met if they'd like a pen! =)
I can't even IMAGINE how much things have changed since her visit!!

Alice

Chinese food is totally different from the US. I agree. So many Chinese international students cook themselves in the US.
If you come to China now, you can find a lot of western food especially in Shanghai. You can find burgers, bagels, salads almost every center places in Shanghai. :br

The days right after my trip to mid-west parks, Cheesecake factory was such a good place to re-experienced American style food and recall my memories there.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby thrillerman1 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:15 pm

Robb, thank you for sharing! I've loved seeing this park experience especially all the amazing Tron pics. Definitely want the poster too! So I think I'm not in love with the castle here though. I'm probably in the minority, but something about the exterior appearance just seems too overbuilt and less magical than all the others for me...less is more? Otherwise from what I've seen here, the park is stunning from what you've shared! Have a great time on the rest of the trip!

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Uberbluedragon » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:32 pm

All right I'm going to try the princess flag challenge
The apple one is snow white
The slipper one is Cinderella
The sun one is princess aurora(sleeping beauty)
The bow one is merditha(brave)
The snowflake one is elsa(frozen)
The lamp one is jasmine(Aladdin)
The dragon one is mulan
The lotus flower is Tatiana(princess&the frog)
The sea shell one is Ariel (little mermaid)
The leaves one is Belle (beauty& the beast)
Sorry if I miss spelled any cause I'm doing it from memory.

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby xstech25 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:56 pm

Uberbluedragon wrote:All right I'm going to try the princess flag challenge
The apple one is snow white
The slipper one is Cinderella
The sun one is princess aurora(sleeping beauty)
The bow one is merditha(brave)
The snowflake one is elsa(frozen)
The lamp one is jasmine(Aladdin)
The dragon one is mulan
The lotus flower is Tatiana(princess&the frog)
The sea shell one is Ariel (little mermaid)
The leaves one is Belle (beauty& the beast)
Sorry if I miss spelled any cause I'm doing it from memory.

Hate to be "that guy" but the sun is from the movie Tangled. And the reason I remember this is because of these lovely restrooms at WDW :lol:

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:49 pm

I want all of that Tron merch!

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby phoxyboy » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:08 am

i love the rope corse we need more of that kind of attractions :)
[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/439048ac8ed238f45bab0aa7f0d8a364.jpg[/img][/url]

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:09 am

toughmudder wrote:Couple questions - I'm guessing Roaring Rapids was closed? I didn't see you post anything about it. Wondered how the big Quaraq animatronic looked...

Yes the ride is closed during the winter months. From what I've been told and have seen, the animatronic turned out to be not quite as impressive as people had hoped. Nice, yes, but it was no lava monster. ;)

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby DoubleDown » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:06 am

Pepsi at a Disney park?

FOR SHAME!!!

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby comet » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:12 am

The park looks amazing! I'm loving the Tron coaster with it's sexy lighting. Thanks for the report, looking forward to more pics.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!