Robb & Elissa in Asia - 2016!

Page 31 - Our final days at Tokyo Disney!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Re: Robb & Elissa in Asia - 2016!

Postby x2isawesome » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:24 pm

I am on on board with swapping out cliff notes magic kingdom version of pirates for the Shanghai one. It looks incredible from start to finish and is a serious contender for worlds best dark ride.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:30 pm

x2isawesome wrote:I am on on board with swapping out cliff notes magic kingdom version of pirates for the Shanghai one. It looks incredible from start to finish and is a serious contender for worlds best dark ride.

To be honest, I'm not a fan of the classic version of Pirates at all so the cliffs notes version is actually my favorite version because it gets it over with quicker. But that being said, this new version, which it's a shame it's impossible to sell how good it is on video, should absolutely replace the classic version. The insane fanboys would freak out at first, but I guarantee you people would soon forget about the "old and busted" Pirates when they see just how good this new ride is!

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby HWFan » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:33 pm

SharkTums wrote:Some of our Chinese friends we've met up with the last couple days keep apologizing for the behavior we've witnessed a few times. As with Americans, they're not all poorly behaved but some things are just crazy. Like the Disney security yelling in Mandarin to hurry up when they opened a new security line resulting in people pushing and screaming and falling! One of our Chinese friends couldn't believe they kept telling people to hurry as it's so unsafe and they could have told people to calmly fill in the new line instead. I'll also never understand the peeing in public thing when there are nice restrooms everywhere.

I'm sure there are several cultures that feel we're super rude compared to them! (Looking at you Japan and Switzerland!) :)

Oh well, we still had a great time and will certainly be back again!

I feel like this comment is one of the most important to remember. Reading some things about Shanghai has even started to make me feel superior subconsciously before having to take a step back. I always remind myself of my first year working in a park and witnessing a woman push her five year old into a push, telling him to pee. As soon as I saw it, I hurried over and pointed out the bathroom twenty feet away, but she ended up just yelling at me about how I didn't know what it's like to have kids.

All that aside, thank you for the great photos of an amazing park (I can't get enough of it), and I'm glad you were able to see past the few frustrating things and not let them ruin your visit. Your Trip Reports "tell it like it is" which is what makes me appreciate them.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:07 pm

It sounds like Shanghai Disney on a busy day is very similar to the rest of China. I remember the general lack of personal space, lack manners and lack of common courtesy that many Chinese exhibited during my 3 weeks in China. It was not prevalent in upscale areas and the classier retail environments, but once you pulled back the curtain it was everywhere.

For those that don't realize there are still two classes of people in China with a great cultural divide between those who grew up in urban versus rural communities. Although many Chinese have moved (or were forced to move) from farms to factories, the new urban families have not quite forgotten and revert back to their their rural ways. During my three weeks in China I talked to the guides quite a bit, and many of them were embarrassed by the uncivilized half of the population that is flooding into urban areas. Many Chinese are still learning how the rest of the civilized world interacts and are a product of their culture. Many don't realize it is inappropriate to relieve yourself whenever you need too, they don't know the concept of waiting patiently (versus pushing), they don't understand the need to provide personal space, and the tonality of the language gives the signal that everyone are always yelling when sometimes they are not. Quite frankly when you are trying to relax on vacation those foibles are annoying and can ruin the magic.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:24 pm

larrygator wrote:For those that don't realize there are still two classes of people in China with a great cultural divide between those who grew up in urban versus rural communities. Although many Chinese have moved (or were forced to move) from farms to factories, the new urban families have not quite forgotten and revert back to their their rural ways. During my three weeks in China I talked to the guides quite a bit, and many of them were embarrassed by the uncivilized half of the population that is flooding into urban areas. Many Chinese are still learning how the rest of the civilized world interacts and are a product of their culture. Many don't realize it is inappropriate to relieve yourself whenever you need too, they don't know the concept of waiting patiently (versus pushing), they don't understand the need to provide personal space, and the tonality of the language gives the signal that everyone are always yelling when sometimes they are not. Quite frankly when you are trying to relax on vacation those foibles are annoying and can ruin the magic.

This is 100% correct. We had our guide from our first two sightseeing days say the exact same thing to us and at Disney, we had quite a few cast members including management come us to us and try to explain and apologize for some of the Chinese behavior. It's the same thing with a lot of Brazilians I know. While I realize the entire culture doesn't behave like a Brazilian tour group at a theme park, often times my friends I have from Brazil will apologize for those groups because even they know they act horrible. And honestly, there are plenty of awful Americans, too (just go read social media for ten minutes) and I find myself having to apologize for the "Ugly Americans" when we travel abroad. Having to do it even more now thanks to our recent election results. :/

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:31 pm

Just wanted to echo what Robb and Larry have said. Many people from quickly developing nations like China and Brazil are simply not used to "western" ways (for lack of a better way to describe it). They grew up with a rural lifestyle, then all of a sudden development and money came their way and they are still adjusting to joining the "modern" world. Heck, when we were there in 2008, our guide explained how traveling was a luxury that required permits---so many citizens only know what the world is like from their own bubble.

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby Garet » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:38 pm

I really want to ride that new Pirates, it looks amazing, but not sure I can coax my wife away from HKDL for our bi-annual trip. I feel like the only two rides I really want to travel for are Pirates and Tron (and now the ropes thanks to this TR), but she's madly in love with HKDL and it's grown on me over the years ever since Grizzly and Mystic Manor I've enjoyed the line-up a lot more and with the additions coming soon I'm more excited for those than Shanghai's Toy Story Land.

She likes HKDL because now we have a very young son we won't get pushed and shoved since it always seems empty. Guessing crowded days at Shanghai are bad, did your Chinese friends say if it's normally more empty like your second day or was that just luck and normally the first day is the normal?
Last edited by Garet on Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:43 pm.

There is no such thing as a donkey punch.

Postby Joe Schwartz » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:42 pm

Robb, how would you rate the "completeness" of the park, compared to the other Disney parks? Do you think they have enough rides and attractions to justify a trip?

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:47 pm

Loving the reports thus far...thanks for sharing!

Also love that there was a bar named after our dog (Bacchus). Oh wait, it's named after the Roman God of Wine...same as our dog! ;)

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby DocBrown » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:34 pm

Is it me, or did the Disneyland Hotel lobby look a lot like the lobby on Disney Cruise Lines' ships?

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!