TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Top/Favorite Hyper Coasters

2017 Update.

1. Skyrush

2. Expedition GeForce - It's everything I wanted it to be. Legendary ejector air is for real and flying through and over the trees is fantastic.

3. Superman The Ride - Moved up from #6. It's running so much better than it did five years ago, but restraints let it down compared to GeForce.

4. Phantom's Revenge

5. Magnum XL-200

6. Karnan - The most unique hyper ever and by far the best themed. Airtime is not quite Intamin level but above B&M.

7. Goliath (SFOG)

8. Nitro

9. Superman el Ultimo Escape

10. Silver Star - What? I thought this was supposed to be Europe's Intimidator. What happened to the over-braked snooze fest that nobody likes I'd heard so much about? I thought it was really good! Trims hardly touch you aside from the one just prior to the MCBR and the airtime gets stronger as the ride goes on. A few Europa regulars told me the trims used to be turned up a lot higher. If so, then good on Europa for doing what most parks won't.

11. Mako

12. Diamondback

13. Apollo's Chariot

14. Steel Force

15. Mamba

16. Titan

17. Intimidator

18. Goliath (SFMM)

19. Desperado

Edited by Condor

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top 5

1.) Skyrush - Yep, holy cow amazing airtime over every hill.

2.) Phantom's Revenge - So much ejector air with those lapbars. Amazing speed as well.

3.) Nitro - Great floater air and has that great helix. Very pretty ride.

4.) Raging Bull - Unpopular opinion, but I love the unique layout.

5.) Diamondback - Nice floater, don't like the odd seating, but the splashdown is really fun!

My top 5 hypers

Wild thing- this is an unpopular opinion but I haven't been on many hypers (only 5). The floater air is great on this ride and it is pretty smooth and has a long duration.

Raging bull- my first and only b&m hyper was very comfy and enjoyable. If it had more airtime it would be my number one.

Mamba- same as wild thing but it had a rattle to it and was trimmed a lot so there was not as much airtime.

Titan- this is a decent ride.

Mr. Freeze reverse blast (SFSL)- this would be great if it didn't feel uncomfortable and bumpy for me. Amazing launch though.

Mine would go something like:

1) Superman: The Ride

2) Skyrush

3) Apollo's Chariot

4) Nitro

5) Steel Force

6) Raging Bull

7) Magnum XL-200

I'm very comfortable with the top 2 rankings. Superman is much more comfortable for me than Skyrush, and the layout is linger and more varied, so I give it the edge despite being a notch or two less intense. I must've hit Apollo on a very good day 12 years ago because I got some fantastic airtime on it, which most people report getting very little of. If it is as tempermental in terms of ride experience like Nitro is, those two could be flip flopped. 5-7 rankings are pretty much set for me.

I will be riding S:RoS at SFA tomorrow so we'll see where that stacks up.

2) Skyrush

3) Apollo's Chariot

4) Nitro

5) Steel Force

6) Raging Bull

7) Magnum XL-200

I'm very comfortable with the top 2 rankings. Superman is much more comfortable for me than Skyrush, and the layout is linger and more varied, so I give it the edge despite being a notch or two less intense. I must've hit Apollo on a very good day 12 years ago because I got some fantastic airtime on it, which most people report getting very little of. If it is as tempermental in terms of ride experience like Nitro is, those two could be flip flopped. 5-7 rankings are pretty much set for me.

My top 2 are the same for pretty much the same reasons. Don't get me wrong, I like the balls to the wall intensity of Skyrush, but Superman:TR has a better overall layout and is much more re-rideable. My #3 is Mako, which just blew me away when I rode it a few weeks ago. The airtime was a lot stronger than I was expecting and there was so much of it. It's definitely the best B&M hyper I've ridden and makes SWO a must visit in Orlando. I've got a lot of love for AC too as I've always had great rides on it.

2) Skyrush

3) Mako

4) Apollo's Chariot

5) Raging Bull

6) Magnum XL-200

7) Goliath (SFMM)

8) Desperado

I am going to separate mine into B&M, Intamin, and Other, because I think they each do something different and deserve to be ranked separately.

Intamin:

1. Skyrush

-gap-

2. Superman the Ride

3. Superman: Ride of Steel

B&M:

1. Nitro

2. Intimidator

3. Diamondback

Other:

1. Magnum XL-200

2. Steel Force

3. Goliath (SFMM)

4. Desparado

I think I may be missing some, but oh well. I left out rides like Cannibal and Xcelerator, and the gigas.

2) Skyrush

3) Apollo's Chariot

4) Nitro

5) Steel Force

6) Raging Bull

7) Magnum XL-200

My top 2 are the same for pretty much the same reasons. Don't get me wrong, I like the balls to the wall intensity of Skyrush, but Superman:TR has a better overall layout and is much more re-rideable.

Me too. But the way I rank is which coaster I'd rather ride if the two were in front of me and I could only ride one. There's nothing scientific about it. I don't really rank outside of a top 20 cause they just blur together after that in some sort of vgood-to-absolute sh*t scale. So ranking that way, I'd pick Skyrush over Supes. They're pretty close though. The Superman restraints actually bother me a little bit more out of the two, to be honest. And Skyrush is insane. If I had to pick, I'd ride Skyrush.

After my PA/NJ trip, I think I'd rank them this way:

1. Skyrush

2. Magnum XL-200

3. Diamondback

4. Nitro

5. Goliath (SFMM)

6. Mamba

7. Wild Thing

8. Raging Bull

9. Steel Force

This is interesting to see after your trip. Da streets is hungry fo mo' report!!!!

1. Nitro

I can find very little fault. Everything I liked about Apollo's Chariot, Nitro does more of.

2. Skyrush

More intense than anything else in its height class. The best ejector airtime around. Dinged for the absolute most painful restraints.

3. Apollo's Chariot

My rides on it during the spring were plodding and forceless. My rides on it recently were powerful with ejector airtime in the back. Great use of terrain.

4. Intimidator

Came in expecting an overtrimmed dud. Trims weren't really hitting so hard when I rode it. Though it has no terrain to work with, it makes up for it with its maneuvers, the hammerhead turn being the big highlight. I also like the staggered seating, it allows a longer train than the 4-across seating does.

5. Goliath (SFOG)

Excellent use of terrain. and soaring over the road as cars drive into the parking lot is a highlight. Dinged for severe rattle at the bottom of every hill. Without the rattle, it would be 3rd.

6. Superman: Ride of Steel

Great moments of airtime, both floater and ejector, but the helixes are just dead space in comparison. Also very rattly.

7. Wild Thing

Intensity is pretty much nothing. Great sustained floater airtime, though, and the figure 8 turnaround is also better than the helix on Steel Force.

8. Goliath (SFMM)

Did absolutely nothing for me, save for the blackout helix.

9. Steel Force

Did absolutely nothing for me. Oh well, at least it looks good.

2) Skyrush

3) Apollo's Chariot

4) Nitro

5) Steel Force

6) Raging Bull

7) Magnum XL-200

I will be riding S:RoS at SFA tomorrow so we'll see where that stacks up.

After my trip to SFA, I think I'll slide S:RoS in at #5. My best rides on Steel Force were better than S:RoS, but I've had a bunch of forceless duds as well, which is a problem I doubt I'd have with S:RoS.

• 3 months later...

Update after 2017

Mako

Goliath (SFOG)

Diamondback

Nitro

Apollo's Chariot

Skyrush

Intimidator

Superman (SFNE)

Magnum

Superman (SFA)

Phantom's Revenge

Steel Force

Titan

Goliath (SFMM)

Got to ride on Mako this year and freakin' loved that ride. I haven't been to SFOG in like 8 years but I'll get out there soon to see if Goliath has held up.

1. Skyrush

2. Superman: The Ride (SFNE)

3. Phantoms Revenge

4. Nitro

5. Mako

6. Magnum XL200

7. Goliath (SFOG)

8. Apollos Chariot

9. Superman:ROS (SFA)

10. Steel Force

1. Skyrush

~big gap here~

[i-305]

2. Phantom's Revenge

[Fury 325]

3. Magnum (trimless)

[Millennium Force]

4. Mako

5. Nitro

6. Diamondback

7. Apollo's Chariot

8. Raging Bull

9. Superman (SFA)

10. Intimidator

Pretty similar to what others have said before. Obviously a big fan of ultra-intense rides (and maybe a small bias towards Millennium Force given my signature), but I've been really fortunate to get on a lot of new amazing coasters in the last couple of years. And Fury 325 was really good, if not just a tad over-hyped.

I added Fury, Intimidator, and Wild Thing to my list of hypers this year. Almost forgot about Wild Thing

The list:

Magnum XL 200

Diamondback

Goliath (SFOG)

Raging Bull

Phantom's Revenge

Titan (SFOT)

Intimidator

Steel Eel?

Tier 1 - I'd say Diamondback, Raging Bull, Goliath, and Intimidator are all in the same group. If I had to pick one to ride right now, I'd pick a name out of a hat. They're all really fun, but all have their own flaws. I did think Intimidator was a lot better than anticipated, even after riding Fury first! Phantom's Revenge was a also a surprise hit - not just the extreme layout, the super comfy seats and open cars. The short layout and the fact that I only got one ride on my visit prevent me from claiming it as my favorite hyper.

Tier 2 - Magnum has given me some good and bad rides. I really never know what I'm going to get. Steel Eel: I haven't been on it in a long time, but I have fond memories of the airtime.

Tier 3 - Titan is at the bottom due to the awkward pace of the ride.

1. Superman (SFNE)

2. Nitro

3. Superman (SFA)

4. Phantom's Revenge

5. Raging Bull

6. Apollo's Chariot

7. Magnum XL200

8. Steel Force

9. Goliath (SFMM)

Not including any of the gigas in this list, but they'd be close to the top if I did. My list is more of a personal one, and includes nostalgia, that's why the SFA Superman is so high. But even though the layout is a bit silly, the ride really does deliver.

• 6 months later...

Well, Steel Vengeance IS a Hyper coaster, so I'm going to update my list from last year, with that now leading the pack! In the other new addition, Mako now slides into the #3 position, behind Phantom's Revenge. What an awesome Hyper coaster, and a fabulous addition to SWO! Behemoth, and Diamondback, round out my new Top 5.