Top/Favorite Hyper Coasters

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Top/Favorite Hyper Coasters

Postby boldikus » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:05 am

Well its the off season for most. I'm surprised no topic about this exists that I could find.

With the discussion about hypers in the CGA thread, and older threads like Top 5 B&M inverts, I thought a thread about hypers would be fun. Not gigas, just hypers. And not just B&Ms, so many manufacturers have dabbled in hypers, and everyone in this hobby seems to at least have an appreciation for them, and likely have their favorites. Not to mention our more seasoned forum members have ridden many more than me and I'm curious how they rank for a lot of you.

My top 5:

~ Skyrush - The most insane coaster I have ridden. Not my favorite coaster but close. The only coaster that still terrifies me with every repeated lap, the "butterflies in stomach" feeling is always there when loading/dispatching. Unbelievable airtime that should be illegal. The 'Sky Rush' moniker is completely appropriate after multiple laps but I love the thing enough to grin and bare it (and bitch for days about how my legs hurt).

~ Phantoms Revenge - Brilliant use of the terrain, the second (big) drop is breathtaking, the restraints allow for multiple glorious ejector moments during the brilliant finale. Unique enough to visit the park just for this ride alone, doesn't hurt that KW is awesome even without it.

~ Nitro - Fast, fun, floaty. My zen coaster. Could easily ride it repeatedly for hours without issue. Great capacity with a line that never stops moving (usually). Back right is the magic seat. Love that we have this from March-January every year now.

~ Magnum XL200 - Such a divisive ride; so many haters, so many obsessed fans. Went in with hesitation, came off in love. Had no issues with the restrains and will forever be confused as to why so many people dislike the original hyper coaster. The first half is not exactly anything to write home about, the back half is outstanding.

~ Goliath (SFOG) - Punchier than Nitro, snappier than the other B&M hypers I've ridden, insanely forceful downward helix, great bunnyhops at the end without a MCBR before them, brilliant use of the terrain in front of the park creating great presence for arriving guests, and while its not a noticable as PR, the second drop is better (and bigger) than the first.

What are your faves and why?
Last edited by boldikus on Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:07 pm.

Nothing beats Cali coasters

Re: Top/Favorite Hyper Coasters

Postby chickenbowl » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:09 am

What defines a hyper exactly - Height over 200'? A drop over 200'?
Chasing Airtime
Steel Vengeance|Intimidator 305|Maverick|Skyrush|Twisted Timbers
Lightning Rod|Outlaw Run|El Toro|Phoenix|Wildfire

Postby boldikus » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:11 am

I guess? But Goliath (SFOG) is not 200 feet but still considered a hyper. As is Steel Eel and I think a few others. Personally I think its more of a style - big drops, no inversions, lapbars, focus on airtime.

Postby chickenbowl » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:44 am

I only ask because it's up to the discretion of the user. If Goliath (SFOG) is a hyper [200' height with 175' drop] then so is Lightning Rod [206' lift height, 165' drop], unless it needs to be height above ground directly below track. In that case, neither Phantom nor Apollo are hypers... It's all just a bit convoluted.

Or you can look at it being in the style of a "hyper coaster" - Tall, usually non-inverting that primarily focuses on large hills? That's if you want to include Goliath (La Ronde) or Steel Eel, which are both well-below 200' but have the character of a hyper. But that definition would include Gigas too...

Either way, I think most enthusiasts typical favorite steel coasters fall into some type of loose "hyper" definition depending on how you limit it. I think this topic will basically be the same as a "Favorite Steel Coasters" thread. With just less Maverick.
Chasing Airtime

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:45 am

This is actually a really good idea for a thread.

One thing I find strange is that while every hyper outside of Primm, Nevada is a great ride, for whatever reason none of them crack my top 10-15, maybe even 20 coasters (but all 4 Giga Coasters do).

I think a lot of this has to do with the fact that the vast majority of the ones I've ridden are B&M hypers. All B&M hypers are great, but none of them are really elite rides. Fury 325 is spectacular, but the hypers really don't even come close to that level.

The Intamins are definitely a step up but they're also hampered by really stupid restraint systems which slightly detract from the ride. They're all still awesome, but I feel like I'd like them all better if they still ran with a Millennium Force style train.

Aside from the B&Ms and Intamins, the only ones I've ridden are Desperado (which blows), Goliath at SFMM (meh), Magnum and Steel Force. I absolutely love Magnum now that I know the seat belt trick. It has insane airtime, a great location and a fun layout. I'm also a fan of Steel Force in the front row but that ride isn't really ever going to blow anyone away.

Picking a top 5 is tough, but this is the best I came up with:

1) Magnum Xl 200: As I said, it has awesome airtime, a great location and a really fun layout. The ride does require a stupid trick to actually enjoy and it's very aggressive, but the strong airtime makes up for it and the fact that the ride isn't butter smooth and isn't afraid to throw you into the lap bar is kind of refreshing in a screwed up way.

2) Superman Ride of Bizarro the Ride or Whatever it is Today: I think this ride is slightly overrated but it's still awesome, especially in row one.

3) Ride of Steel - Darien Lake: This ride is incredibly underrated. I didn't expect much from it after riding the Six Flags America version but the ride's location and the fact that the layout was obviously designed for Darien Lake makes a huge difference. The new train is great too.

4) I can't believe I'm saying this but um... Skyrush - The first two times I visited Hershey in the Skyrush era I left hating this ride with a passion, but for some reason I came to Jesus in my last visit with Boldikus and the gang and ended up loving the thing. I hate it on the wing seats, but otherwise it's a spectacular ride. The lap bars are awful but the ride makes up for it by being awesome.

5) I have to be honest, I feel like it's time for a B&M and they all blend together so much I don't even know what to put here. I've ridden every North American B&M hyper except for Goliath at SFOG, Raging Bull and Mako and the ones that stand out the most are Apollo, Diamondback and Behemoth but I don't know which I prefer. I'm tempted to say Apollo because of the airtime off the pre drop in the back row but really it could be any of them. They're all great but they all blend together.

As far as the definition of hyper goes I'm not too picky. I'd include any steel coaster built in that style, so rides like Goliath at La Ronde and Steel Eel might as well count.

Postby boldikus » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:56 am

chickenbowl wrote:I only ask because it's up to the discretion of the user. If Goliath (SFOG) is a hyper [200' height with 175' drop] then so is Lightning Rod [206' lift height, 165' drop], unless it needs to be height above ground directly below track. In that case, neither Phantom nor Apollo are hypers... It's all just a bit convoluted.

Or you can look at it being in the style of a "hyper coaster" - Tall, usually non-inverting that primarily focuses on large hills? That's if you want to include Goliath (La Ronde) or Steel Eel, which are both well-below 200' but have the character of a hyper. But that definition would include Gigas too...

Either way, I think most enthusiasts typical favorite steel coasters fall into some type of loose "hyper" definition depending on how you limit it. I think this topic will basically be the same as a "Favorite Steel Coasters" thread. With just less Maverick.

I can totally see where you are coming from, and in fact this right here made me hesitate to start the thread. For me its not its height (200ft+) that makes it fall under the "hyper" title, but the style. For instance, the 3 U.S. dive coasters are all over 200 feet but the style of the ride is totally different from the "usual" style of hypers which again is about tall coasters with consecutive large drops, no inversions, and a focus on airtime. I did say "no gigas" cause I knew that they'd make tons of peoples lists (MF and I305 would easily have made mine) so I thought I'd up the degree of difficulty, if you will.

Postby Superbatboy » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:05 pm

If were talking just hypers not gigas:

1.Skyrush
2.Superman/Bizarro
3.Apollo's Chariot
4.Diamondback
5.Magnum XL 200
1.Skyrush 2.El Toro 3.Fury 325 4.Maverick 5.New Texas Giant 6.Wicked Cyclone 7.Twisted Colossus 8.Superman:TR 9.Millennium Force 10.Apollo's Chariot

Postby chickenbowl » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:19 pm

boldikus wrote:
chickenbowl wrote:I only ask because it's up to the discretion of the user. If Goliath (SFOG) is a hyper [200' height with 175' drop] then so is Lightning Rod [206' lift height, 165' drop], unless it needs to be height above ground directly below track. In that case, neither Phantom nor Apollo are hypers... It's all just a bit convoluted.

I can totally see where you are coming from, and in fact this right here made me hesitate to start the thread. For me its not its height (200ft+) that makes it fall under the "hyper" title, but the style. For instance, the 3 U.S. dive coasters are all over 200 feet but the style of the ride is totally different from the "usual" style of hypers which again is about tall coasters with consecutive large drops, no inversions, and a focus on airtime. I did say "no gigas" cause I knew that they'd make tons of peoples lists (MF and I305 would easily have made mine) so I thought I'd up the degree of difficulty, if you will.

Cool, yeah I agree about Dive coasters as well as 200'+ Intamin accelerator coasters (Xcelerator, Stealth) or shuttle coasters (Mr Freeze, Wicked Twister). I don't think I'd count Cannibal either... I'll exclude the shorter airtime-based rides like Mega Lites, RMCs, etc. too.

Well here's my top 10 hypers (and how they rank overall in my favorite steel list):

1. Skyrush (3)
2. Superman the Ride (9)
3. Behemoth (11)
4. Goliath (SFOG) (12)
5. Diamondback (13)
6. Nitro (17)
7. Superman el Último Escape (27)
8. Goliath (La Ronde) (28)
9. Intimidator (29)
*10. Hollywood Dream (31) (Don't know if 144' is too short to count? but it's only a few feet shorter than LR's Goliath)
11. Raging Bull (33)
12. Apollo's Chariot (39)
13. Magnum XL-200 (41)
14. Thunder Dolphin (42)

Others that didn't make the list: Goliath (SFMM), Titan, Desperado, Steel Eel, Manhattan Express (is this a hyper?)
Last edited by chickenbowl on Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:15 pm.
Chasing Airtime

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby Condor » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:03 pm

I'll borrow chickenbowl's format.

1. Skyrush (1) - Most of us can probably do a good job of maximizing our ride experience on coasters by knowing where to sit and how to position ourselves and the restraints. Skyrush is different. It says, "No, human. I'M IN CONTROL, NOT YOU!!! Your tricks will not work!" The most intense and exhilarating experience I've ever had on any ride.

2. Phantom's Revenge (9) - As smooth or smoother than anything else on the list along with some of the best airtime, plus extra points for the terrain and unique layout.

3. Magnum XL-200 (10) - I still don't understand the criticism this ride gets. Like a wooden coaster running 3 bench PTCs, all you have to do is sit in the middle row of any car and it will not be rough, and even if you don't, it's not like the moderate roughness it can have is painful. Excellent airtime, a classic setting, and just the right amount of old school Ron Toomer quirkiness.

4. Goliath (SFOG) (15) - The fastest paced and least trimmed of all the B&M hypers. Only the last few bunny hops have what I would call real ejector air, the rest have nice, strong floater. This coaster is good enough I don't even mind SFOG's lack of an Intamin or RMC.

5. Nitro (16) - Very tough choice between this and Goliath. I deduct a couple of points from this one for the MCBR and less ideal setting.

6. Superman: The Ride/Bizarro (21)
7. Mako (22)
8. Superman el Ultimo Escape (23)
9. Diamondback (36)
10. Apollo's Chariot (37)
11. Steel Force
12. Mamba
13. Titan
14. Intimidator
15. Goliath (SFMM)
16. Desperado
Last edited by Condor on Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:02 pm.

Postby Superbatboy » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:07 pm

chickenbowl wrote:*2. Mega Lite (5) (This coaster is in the style of a hyper? I don't know...)

I want to ride one so bad, I guess the closest I'll ever get is heading over to KK for LR. Hopefully in 2017
1.Skyrush 2.El Toro 3.Fury 325 4.Maverick 5.New Texas Giant 6.Wicked Cyclone 7.Twisted Colossus 8.Superman:TR 9.Millennium Force 10.Apollo's Chariot

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!