TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Maui sands indoor waterpark to be on Hotel impossible

I agree...

The big courtyard in the center of the resort seemed out of place. It looked like they built it to connect 2 different property's.

Such a large area to only have a few pool tables in it. I also couldn't believe that only a small part of the resort had elevators.

• 11 months later...

Some of my favorite moments from the show:

- Anthony calling one of the owners a moron... twice

- Anthony being as mad as I have ever seen him when the other owner didn’t immediately volunteer to treat an employee’s home for bed bugs

- The front office girl inviting the owners to sit on one of the couches infested with bed bugs

- Not really a “highlight”, but those rusted out stairs that guests have to walk barefoot on in the water park was really nasty and could cause some real damage

This was a great, albeit rather disturbing episode and I recommend it to anyone interested in the hotel or travel industry. Anthony is a great guy. He may come across as irritating to some, but the guy is a hotel genius and he truly does care about helping these places succeed.

The big question now is, what's the place like today?

Considering that he did almost nothing for them and that the reviews on Tripadvisor suggest widespread insect infestation still, I'm gonna go with "still a dump." They only treated half the hotel for bugs, which given that every area of the hotel had bedbugs means that naturally they were going to come back in time.

It was so bad I wouldn't even step foot in there again. There were bedbugs inside a claw machine on prizes. INSIDE A CLAW MACHINE!

The big question now is, what's the place like today?

he was talking about being there in December, so they filmed this last year.

my DVR cut off before the end, so didn't get to see the "since Anthony's Visit" bullet points.

but yeah, I wouldn't expect they actually did anything.

I watched the episode as well. The bullet points simply said that half the place was treated for bedbugs and the water is no longer freezing. Big whoop given how bad the infestation was shown to be.

The bedbugs will just march right back to where they were unless the entire place is heat treated. For massive spaces like the big center courtyard, that's an enormous job but it's necessary.

Some recent reviews on TripAdvisor though talk about the place having new ownership and a friendly staff at least. There also seems to be a Public Relations Manager now. Maybe the needed turn around is slowly taking shape, though it needs to be closed down for a few months as Anthony said for it to be done properly.

The whole bedbug infestation and knowing the place still hasn't been properly heat treated for it is enough to keep me away. I'm amazed the place hasn't been forceably shut down until the bedbug problem is completely gone. They wouldn't be allowed to open if the water was found to be contaminated, right? So why are they allowed to open with that kind of infestation still present even after having been demonstrated on national TV? Doesn't seem right.

I've never visited Maui Sands but it's known to be "a dump" living around here and all the locals have known for years the place has bed bugs. Since Kalahari & Great Wolf Lodge indoor water parks are not only nearby, but on the same street within a 10-minute drive in either direction, everybody I know goes to one of those two places for their indoor waterpark needs.

After watching the episode there's no way I'm stepping foot in the door after seeing how terrible it is. I drive pass Maui Sands whenever I go grocery shopping and the parking lot is still always basically empty.

Why does this place still exist? How does this place still exist?

EDIT: I missed the actual posting date of this thread. So - like others, I am wondering, wtf is going on with it, now?

I can tell you about Maui Sands since the filming of the show. I can't share an insight to the filming of the show was not present there at the time. Many of the employees that are on the show confirmed that things were pretty accurate to what the show portrayed.

After the show the former owners that were shown on the show started to treat for the roach issue. They tried a few different providers to deal with the bedbug issue. They also added a CPO certified pool operator to the staff and hired an experienced maintenance technician. The pool temperature issues were resolved shortly after the addition of those two employees.

Then the former owners decided to get out of Maui Sands and New owners/management took over in July. Immediately new ownership hired one of the best pest management companies in the area. The same company that services many of the similar properties. They went through every public area and guestroom for any and all pest (Roach, Bedbugs, Mice, etc..)

The staff was brought into deep clean all the food service areas. Almost the entire building received some sort of cleaning or refurbishing. The carpet was removed and changed in many rooms that had terrible carpet. The rooms that had good carpet had their carpets cleaned. All of the HVAC units in the rooms were cleaned and serviced.

There has been a lot of progress made from the time the show was recorded. My first few weeks of experience reports of roaches or bed bugs were not uncommon. I personally saw roaches a few times early on but saw they had pest companies working on them. They drastically reduced after two months. Then the new pest company took over and went room by room and through all public space. Any complaints of pest issue are almost nonexistent. The new management/owners take it serious and the new pest company is called on for any report of even a suspected issue.

While it is not a brand new property the worst bedbug infestation is not a fitting title for the current condition. The pest company should get all the credit for eliminating what was a real bad situation.

At least I can tell people I stayed in a hotel with one of the world's largest bedbug infestations. Went in 2012, anyone know if it was as bad then or I just dodged a bullet or what? Luckily didn't get bed bugs.

We must have dodged a bullet as well. I think it was 2014-2015 that we visited.

• 7 months later...

Looks like the hotel is changing hands once again. The new owners said that the old wing will be torn down, and they will push day passes more to make up for the lost rooms.

They also said that some improvements are coming to the water park as well like slip resistant steps.

• 2 years later...