TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

World's First SPAmusement Park in Beppu, Jaoan!

Just watch this video, BRB checking Beppu flights and hotel now.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Beppu City (Oita Prefecture, Japan) boasts the world’s highest yield of hot spring water in hot springs which people use. A decision was made to realize a new vision for the city, the “amusement onsen city initiative,” and to spread the word widely throughout the nation and the world.

As the first stage of the implementation plan, the Spamusement Park Project (spa + amusement = spamusement) public announcement video has been created for viewing at the hot spring event, Onsen Academia, in Beppu City and to release on the worldwide web on the same day.

The concept of this video is an “amusement onsen city,” bringing together the natural hot springs and an amusement park to form this “spamusement park.” What makes the concept so special is this: if this YouTube video reaches one million views, a plan to develop an onsen amusement park will be carried out, making this viewer-count & public video linkage the first of its kind in the world.

They already have 1 million views after 4 days! Which means this is happening! Real talk, Can those old rides hold the extra load from the hot spring water if this is actually how the park will look like?

Edited by jedimaster1227

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Yuk! Hey that's okay, I played it and my RED duck came in first, and I got a

kerchief with (apparently) the park's name on it, with ducks, too.

M05_Head-Hands_Souvenirs.jpg.aaa4b06234963735986a05af578039b1.jpg

On the left there - the kerchief I won on WR's Duck Race! TPR 2011 Japan Tour souvenirs.

It's such a unique park with where it's located (on a mountain), what it has, and how it all 'looks' together.

Still, I get the feeling this is all to do with a possible water park (?) that's right beside the amusement park.

Maybe a two-park deal ticket in the future?

B07_MikeRosieColinEmmaJConSuspBridge_WondRaku.jpg.382e575731c7e96dc1fba312fc3019f8.jpg

EDIT To Add: Maybe it's to do with this building in the back? TPR 2011 Japan Tour.

There is no way they will run that coaster full of water. This was a viral thing that went even crazier than expected. I could see them trying to save the park by adding spa elements to it, but not to the coaster. Those of you who rode it know that it would fall to pieces with water filled trains!

There is no way they will run that coaster full of water. This was a viral thing that went even crazier than expected. I could see them trying to save the park by adding spa elements to it, but not to the coaster. Those of you who rode it know that it would fall to pieces with water filled trains!

It almost fell apart even when the train was 70% full of people!

They never mentioned they are turning Wonder Rakutenchi into the Spamusement park, maybe they are building a brand new park? For a city like Beppu having three amusement parks seems a bit much honestly.

^ Too easy. lol. And they already have a water park.

Wonder Rak is a challenge. On a mountain. Much smaller park.

And a suspension bridge, and Duck Races, c'mon!

B06_MiniRailAndJetcoaster_WondRaku.jpg.5f231e487638dd9a2e7b12162e56a2b9.jpg

Here's another look at that Jet Coaster. (With the monorail track in front.) TPR 2011 Japan Tour.

I seen a few of TPR Japan videos and i got to say that I dont get the point of jet coasters. They look cheap and sketchy and quite honestly not that fun. A lot of them look boring in my opinion. Also why are they named jet coasters? With a name like that I'd think of a fast launch coaster not an overgrown kiddie coaster lol. Jet coasters would be so much better if they added a lot more drops and those drops were much steeper and taller. Also less cat walks!

^Jet Coaster is the equivalent to our 'Roller Coaster' with the translation. To answer your other question, these coasters are all 25+ years old. Japan has been much slower in replacing all of their old coasters for new ones than we were in the US and Europe...and even the rest of Asia.

This place also used to have a zoo when we were there in 2007 and '11. Terrible looking

the first visit. Much better, but still in need of more care, on the second. And a collection

of flats, mostly old ones that all spin. And a very wierd indoor (not so) dark shooting ride.

It also had a very old and somewhat unpredictable trackless car ride, which traveled

down the hill on an asphalt path and back up, with the electronics under the surface of it.

The cars stalled a lot, but it was still an interesting first "trackless" experience. Before TDLR.

And a high, treed hill with paths that led a lovely outdoor temple and praying areas.

I hope they keep that. It's probably already deemed sacred, so it's a given to stay.

I seen a few of TPR Japan videos and i got to say that I dont get the point of jet coasters. They look cheap and sketchy and quite honestly not that fun. A lot of them look boring in my opinion. Also why are they named jet coasters? With a name like that I'd think of a fast launch coaster not an overgrown kiddie coaster lol. Jet coasters would be so much better if they added a lot more drops and those drops were much steeper and taller. Also less cat walks!

This coaster was built in 1972 and Racer isn't that much better than this honestly.

From what I remember on the tours, the Japanese were/are sticklers for safety and some times

you see entire coasters with cat walks beside the tracks, from beginning to end. Truth!

Oh, and my photos of the park showing catwalks, are actually with their little (mono mono) monorail ride in the park.

B_12MeChuck_WndrRaku.jpg.jpg.ca81ea1afdfa68cf12d0c2f0f4dc24ba.jpg

Me and Chuck at Wonder Rak. TPR 2007 Japan Tour.

• 7 months later...