4 Dead in Rapids Ride Accident at Dreamworld Australia

All 4 people in the accident have died
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Can I park my donkey here?

Re: 4 Dead in Rapids Ride Accident at Dreamworld Australia

Postby TEDodd » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:14 am

Wow. Hard to believe no emergency stop in the modern era. No cameras is one thing, if personnel are able to monitor in person.

But neither cameras or people can do much w/o stop.

And there were recommendations to add such that went unheeded? That spells trouble (legal trouble).

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:06 pm

KarlaKoaster wrote:Yes, same. I edited my original post as I've found more information and it turns out there isn't a specific emergency stop button and that offload was not covered by CCTV despite several recommendations.

Yikes, that is (err...was) sketchy.

So let me get this straight here - when the pump failed the first time and they got it working again, did they not immediately cascade everyone off the ride, close the queue, and inspect it afterward? It sounds like when they reset the pump both times they just kept the ride going as if the problem never occurred.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby KarlaKoaster » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:29 pm

More from the inquest:

1. The operator says an almost identical fault happened the week before where the water pump failed, and water levels dropped to expose railings underneath the water. There was also a situation in 2001 where a 'pile up' of rafts occured

2. On the day of the accident he pressed the 'slow-stop' button 'two or three' times - this button takes 8 seconds to stop the ride (count to 8 in your head... it would seem like a lifetime in a situation like this)

3. The emergency button in the offload area (as I suspected it was) would have taken two seconds to stop the ride but was not pushed. Pushing this "wouldn’t have avoided (the tragedy), it may have limited some injuries"

4. The park had a policy where "if a ride breaks down more than twice, on the third time it gets shut for the day" (it was the third breakdown that the accident happened)

https://www.news.com.au/national/queensland/stop-button-pushed-after-crash-dreamworld-inquest-hears/news-story/2a91daf1119d33ef6da284a34a6413c5

A.J. wrote:So let me get this straight here - when the pump failed the first time and they got it working again, did they not immediately cascade everyone off the ride, close the queue, and inspect it afterward? It sounds like when they reset the pump both times they just kept the ride going as if the problem never occurred.

Honestly I'm not sure, none of the reports make it clear whether it was a simple reset while the ride was running (it was one pump of several), or whether they did a full shutdown. It was obviously a recurring fault though.

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby KarlaKoaster » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:24 pm

Update from the inquest:

1. The families of the victims "don’t hold [the ride operator] in the least bit responsible for what happened on that day". The operator also said that he has not been criticised by Dreamworld for his actions.

2. The operator had to undertake 36 procedures every minute as passengers were loaded/unloaded from the ride. The victims' lawyer suggested this was an 'impossible' amount of responsibilities

3. More CCTV cameras were added to the park's log flume after a rider fell out and was hit by another log. Operators didn't realise this had happened until the boat had returned to the station

4. The operator wasn't trained in first aid or how to attend to incidents such as this

It's nice to hear the family don't hold the operator to account. Most of these operators are barely on more than minimum wage yet they make life-or-death decisions and are responsible for thousands of riders a day. It's a lot of weight on their shoulders and they probably don't even realise it.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby TheGallophingGhost » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:04 pm

>>>The park had a policy where "if a ride breaks down more than twice, on the third time it gets shut for the day" (it was the third breakdown that the accident happened)<<<

To me an odd policy. Some “break downs” on some rides are innocuous, quickly resolved and not indicative of an emergency or even a trend. Fix, reset, test, restart.

Other rides when a fault occurres, of course depending on the nature of the fault, should be closed immediately, including the rest of the day until recrified. Often a root cause engineering analysis should be completed before returning the ride to service.

A blanket and blind policy of simply on the third issued shut it did for the day is extremely short sighted imo. It could lead to unnecessary closures but more importantly lead to rides staying open that should be closed because it hasn’t hit the daily trifecta.

Certainly a slippery slope. I don’t like it.

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby TEDodd » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:00 pm

TheGallophingGhost wrote:A blanket and blind policy of simply on the third issued shut it did for the day is extremely short sighted imo.

Sounds like a policy to close problem prone rides instead of the constantly going down.

It's just to stop the displeasure of guests.

I would hope certain, safety related, faults would cause closure immediately.

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!