TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

4 Dead in Rapids Ride Accident at Dreamworld Australia

www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/dreamworld-emergency-person-unconscious-after-incident-on-ride-police-say-20161025-gsa7ek.html

Four people have died in an accident at Dreamworld, with reports a raft on the Thunder River Rapids ride at the theme park flipped over.

Paramedics, fire crews and police were on scene at the Coomera theme park near the Gold Coast responding to reports received just after 2pm that a number of people had been injured by a conveyor belt.

Paramedics said two people had been thrown from the raft and two people were trapped inside.

Queensland Ambulance Service officer Gavin Fuller said the people were aged from 32 through to early 40s.

He said park staff attempted first aid but weren't able to save them.

Dreamworld chief executive Craig Davidson said the park had been closed.

"We are deeply shocked and saddened by this and our hearts and our thoughts go to the families involved and their loved ones," he said.

One woman who spoke to media at the theme park said a young girl was crying and being comforted at the ride.

"We think it was her mum that was involved," the woman said.

"There was just police and lifeguards everywhere."It happened on the Rapids ride. I spoke to a guy and he said he looked behind and the whole thing flipped over."

Another witness said she believed three adults involved in the accident were from the same extended family.

The theme park had earlier released a statement as reports conflicted over the extent of the tragedy.

"Dreamworld is working as quickly as possible to establish the facts around the incident and is working closely with emergency authorities and police to do this," the theme park said in a statement.

"Dreamworld's focus and priority is with the families of those involved in this tragedy and will be providing an update to the public as soon as information becomes available."

A concerned mother whose daughter was at Dreamworld at the time of the incident voiced relief to Facebook after she was told those involved were not children.

"Ok I'm here at park and have been informed the ppl (sic) in the accident are over 30 now to find my girl they are evacuating park now thanks all," she wrote.

Gold Coast mayor Tom Tate said it was a "very sad day for our city".

"Our thoughts are with the families of those affected – and the emergency staff in attendance," he said.

"I urge everyone to show the respect needed as the relevant authorities undertake investigations in to what has occurred.

"A truly sad day for all."

The incident comes about six months after a near-drowning on Dreamworld's popular log ride.

A man was on the log ride when he fell out in April.

He was treated by the theme park's medical staff after he swallowed water and suffered head cuts before paramedics arrived.

39B0D46B00000578-3869530-image-a-10_1477381169654.jpg.64f9875b353d2afc6064177bd5bcee59.jpg

161025093415-02-dreamworld-accident-exlarge-169.jpg.77b8d5ea70a77995ce9944fbaa31ee7b.jpg

2088524340_ScreenShot2016-10-25at10_26_46.png.e5cda1fed6d696e6cd59dc9693a829c3.png

Edited by robbalvey

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

www.9news.com.au/National/2016/10/25/15/48/Reports-of-at-least-one-dead-in-serious-Dreamworld-ride-accident

A police press conference will happen in 20 minutes about the situation. A team member at Dreamworld believes that the guest could have stood up before returning to the station and tip the raft but that is not confirmed as they are still going through the footage.

I hate Australian news... I've seen reports saying it happened on Rapids, Buzzsaw and Log Flume. Reports say anywhere between 1-4 fatalities, 4 injured, many more injured.

Right now the only factual information is that there is an accident, police, ambulance, fire and forensic crash units are on scene.

It looks like Dreamworld will be hosting a press conference in about 15 mins time. Will keep an eye on everything and post any useful news that is released and not just speculation on what's going on.

www.9news.com.au/National/2016/10/25/15/48/Reports-of-at-least-one-dead-in-serious-Dreamworld-ride-accident

A police press conference will happen in 20 minutes about the situation. A team member at Dreamworld believes that the guest could have stood up before returning to the station and tip the raft but that is not confirmed as they are still going through the footage.

Sounds like this could be a possibility and that the start of schoolies leads me to believe that these people may have been young adults trying to impress and it went wrong

Sounds like this could be a possibility and that the start of schoolies leads me to believe that these people may have been young adults trying to impress and it went wrong

Still too early for schoolies - Week 1 doesn't start until 19 November. I think it's probably best if we stop making assumptions and speculating, which appears to be what Australia's major news outlets are doing right now and wait for the official announcements.

Edit: All persons involved were over age of 25. Confirmed by police.

Edit 2: Official statement from Dreamworld - at least 3 fatalities, will providing further updates as they are available. Confirmed incident on Thunder River Rapids.

Edit 3: Queensland Police have cancelled their 4pm press conference.

Still too early for schoolies - Week 1 doesn't start until 19 November. I think it's probably best if we stop making assumptions and speculating, which appears to be what Australia's major news outlets are doing right now and wait for the official announcements.

Edit: All persons involved were over age of 25. Confirmed by police.

Edit 2: Official statement from Dreamworld - at least 3 fatalities, will providing further updates as they are available. Confirmed incident on Thunder River Rapids.

I meant people who have finished school and not going up for actual schoolies just some people have finished the HSC. Like i had finished the HSC at this point of the year

But seeing as the people were over the age of 25 I was wrong

Press Conference - to summarize. I'll post a link once I can find one:

Craig Davidson - CEO of Dreamworld - 2:20pm, on River Rapids - confirmed death of 4 people. Park is currently closed, working with authorities to establish facts around incident. Deeply shocked and saddened, hearts and thoughts to families involved and their loved ones.

QLD Ambulance Service - Gavin Fuller - Malfunction, 2 people ejected, 2 caught in the ride. Injuries to those involved incompatible with living, 2 males and 2 females. No comment to nature of injuries and if anyone was trapped underwater. Age 32-early 40s.

QLD Police Service - Todd Reid - Workplace Health and Safety, State Coroner and Forensic Crash Unit in attendance. Crime scene has been established. No confirmations as yet if persons are related and identity of persons involved has not been fully established.

Ugh. Awful news. My thoughts are with the friends and families of the victims.

On a separate note, I have a feeling we will be seeing another theme park related accident within the next few days. . . These things always seem to come in twos.

On a separate note, I have a feeling we will be seeing another theme park related accident within the next few days. . . These things always seem to come in twos.

You are a horrible human being.

For stating something that's true?? Look at almost every single theme park accident, almost every time there is an accident, there is a second one not to far away, and I am not the first one on these boards to mention it. It's been mentioned several times before in other theme park related accident threads.

So it looks like one of the boats flipped forwards *towards* the lift hill, and knowing that the restraints on these types of rides are basically velcrow, I'm guessing they fell out of the boat, onto or beneath the lift, and if they fell beneath they I would assume they were squished by the wood lapped conveyor and/or drowned. Very sad to hear.

From this image something stands out to me...the boats are VERY close to eachother in the water, where as Big Foot Rapids or Roaring Rapids the boats are typically 30 seconds apart on the water. I could see this being problematic as if one boat was still rocking one way, the the boat behind it rocking the other, perhaps it could get lodged underneath the boat in front of it, and upon reaching the lift the rear boat could "flip" the boat in front of it forward.

Just a guess.

Efteling_Pirana.jpg

That image is not from Thunder Rapids - they are much more spaced out. That Image is from Efteling according to the tag. With the exception of in/approaching the station, it would be odd to see another raft on this ride.

This is very sad and a horrific accident. Yet another accident in 2016. I really hope the source of the accident is found so this never happens again. I have been on this ride when I was in Australia and it was the best rapids I have been on, but there (like most rapids) was no seatbelt or harness.