4 Dead in Rapids Ride Accident at Dreamworld Australia

All 4 people in the accident have died
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

4 Dead in Rapids Ride Accident at Dreamworld Australia

Postby Colse35 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:19 pm

www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/dreamworld-emergency-person-unconscious-after-incident-on-ride-police-say-20161025-gsa7ek.html

Four people have died in an accident at Dreamworld, with reports a raft on the Thunder River Rapids ride at the theme park flipped over.

Paramedics, fire crews and police were on scene at the Coomera theme park near the Gold Coast responding to reports received just after 2pm that a number of people had been injured by a conveyor belt.

Paramedics said two people had been thrown from the raft and two people were trapped inside.

Queensland Ambulance Service officer Gavin Fuller said the people were aged from 32 through to early 40s.

He said park staff attempted first aid but weren't able to save them.

Dreamworld chief executive Craig Davidson said the park had been closed.

"We are deeply shocked and saddened by this and our hearts and our thoughts go to the families involved and their loved ones," he said.

One woman who spoke to media at the theme park said a young girl was crying and being comforted at the ride.

"We think it was her mum that was involved," the woman said.

"There was just police and lifeguards everywhere."It happened on the Rapids ride. I spoke to a guy and he said he looked behind and the whole thing flipped over."

Another witness said she believed three adults involved in the accident were from the same extended family.

The theme park had earlier released a statement as reports conflicted over the extent of the tragedy.

"Dreamworld is working as quickly as possible to establish the facts around the incident and is working closely with emergency authorities and police to do this," the theme park said in a statement.

"Dreamworld's focus and priority is with the families of those involved in this tragedy and will be providing an update to the public as soon as information becomes available."

A concerned mother whose daughter was at Dreamworld at the time of the incident voiced relief to Facebook after she was told those involved were not children.

"Ok I'm here at park and have been informed the ppl (sic) in the accident are over 30 now to find my girl they are evacuating park now thanks all," she wrote.

Gold Coast mayor Tom Tate said it was a "very sad day for our city".

"Our thoughts are with the families of those affected – and the emergency staff in attendance," he said.

"I urge everyone to show the respect needed as the relevant authorities undertake investigations in to what has occurred.

"A truly sad day for all."

The incident comes about six months after a near-drowning on Dreamworld's popular log ride.

A man was on the log ride when he fell out in April.

He was treated by the theme park's medical staff after he swallowed water and suffered head cuts before paramedics arrived.
39B0D46B00000578-3869530-image-a-10_1477381169654.jpg
161025093415-02-dreamworld-accident-exlarge-169.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 10.26.46.png
Last edited by robbalvey on Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:31 am.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Re: At least 2 people dead at Dreamworld

Postby Satans Hockey » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:26 pm

Ah that's horrible, thoughts out to the families and friends.

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby cymonster-rex » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:27 pm

Channel 9 saying that it was the buzzsaw and that it was one of the fastest and highest coaster in the world. Which is wrong as if the coaster feel it would have fallen on the station not on the river rapids ride

Postby cymonster-rex » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:33 pm

Also this is the first death at an Australia theme park since 1978. By the looks of it, it looks like that the raft flipped on the conveyer belt trapping four people.

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby Colse35 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:40 pm

www.9news.com.au/National/2016/10/25/15/48/Reports-of-at-least-one-dead-in-serious-Dreamworld-ride-accident

A police press conference will happen in 20 minutes about the situation. A team member at Dreamworld believes that the guest could have stood up before returning to the station and tip the raft but that is not confirmed as they are still going through the footage.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Superbatboy » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:46 pm

Terrible news, my heart goes out to those affected by this
1.Skyrush 2.El Toro 3.Fury 325 4.Maverick 5.New Texas Giant 6.Wicked Cyclone 7.Twisted Colossus 8.Superman:TR 9.Millennium Force 10.Apollo's Chariot

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby ambe_bambe » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:47 pm

I hate Australian news... I've seen reports saying it happened on Rapids, Buzzsaw and Log Flume. Reports say anywhere between 1-4 fatalities, 4 injured, many more injured.

Right now the only factual information is that there is an accident, police, ambulance, fire and forensic crash units are on scene.

It looks like Dreamworld will be hosting a press conference in about 15 mins time. Will keep an eye on everything and post any useful news that is released and not just speculation on what's going on.

Postby cymonster-rex » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:48 pm

Colse35 wrote:www.9news.com.au/National/2016/10/25/15/48/Reports-of-at-least-one-dead-in-serious-Dreamworld-ride-accident

A police press conference will happen in 20 minutes about the situation. A team member at Dreamworld believes that the guest could have stood up before returning to the station and tip the raft but that is not confirmed as they are still going through the footage.

Sounds like this could be a possibility and that the start of schoolies leads me to believe that these people may have been young adults trying to impress and it went wrong

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby ambe_bambe » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:55 pm

cymonster-rex wrote:
Colse35 wrote:www.9news.com.au/National/2016/10/25/15/48/Reports-of-at-least-one-dead-in-serious-Dreamworld-ride-accident

Sounds like this could be a possibility and that the start of schoolies leads me to believe that these people may have been young adults trying to impress and it went wrong

Still too early for schoolies - Week 1 doesn't start until 19 November. I think it's probably best if we stop making assumptions and speculating, which appears to be what Australia's major news outlets are doing right now and wait for the official announcements.

Edit: All persons involved were over age of 25. Confirmed by police.

Edit 2: Official statement from Dreamworld - at least 3 fatalities, will providing further updates as they are available. Confirmed incident on Thunder River Rapids.

Edit 3: Queensland Police have cancelled their 4pm press conference.

MUST BUY RMC MERCHANDISE!!!!

Postby gerstlaueringvar » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:04 pm

Horrible news, wish those who unfortunately died Rest In Peace and hope the injured rideres will recover from this.
Last edited by gerstlaueringvar on Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:17 pm.

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!