TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Happy Valley Chengdu Expansion 2017

Certain roller coasters are designed with certain sensations in mind. Having the typical "holding chain drop followed by Immelmann" on a dive coaster is really no different than having "vertical lift, 95-degree drop, vertical loop" on a Euro Fighter or "lift immediately into dive drop" on a wing coaster.

The only dive coaster layout that has been explicitly cloned is SheiKra. Griffon is larger and with an extra inversion, and the total outdoor setting of G5 seems to make it different compared to Oblivion. The one at Chimelong looks kind of like a hybrid between SheiKra and Griffon.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree almost 100% The design is what makes a Dive Machine a Dive machine really. The short length and poor aerodynamics of the wide train also limit the length and manuvers to a certain extent.

On a side not I'm being a massive pedant here since its not finished yet but Draken in South Korea is expected to be a Griffon clone.

Dive Machines are usually packed into a tight space and the vertical drop+Immelmann combo is the most efficient way to limit the length of the space it takes up without creating high vertical acceleration. Also just for the width of the train, you can do those RMC style transitions either so the banking would have to be gradual. I think a Banana Roll would be great with, of course, lots of modification but other than that an Immelmann is the best choice.

• 1 month later...

I think dive coasters are neat and enjoy them but favor great hypers but my 15 year old Daughter can't get enough of them She wore Griffon out last summer and is ready to the same to Sheikra in 60days and we look forward to trying Gerstlauer's turn at it at Knott's this fall.

There's the outside chance I may ride this one at Chengdu as it's one of the places we want to get to in China in the next 5 years. Chengdu is highly recommended by my friends that go there for business and fun. I hear the new bullet train between there and Xi'an is suppose to offer spectacular views.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]