Photo TR: My first visit to Liseberg

My first ever visit to Sweden's Liseberg!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Photo TR: My first visit to Liseberg

Postby JordyC » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:42 am

Hello everyone!

From August 9th to 10th 2016, I went for my first ever time to Sweden to visit the wonderful Liseberg. I was most excited about finally getting to ride Helix and Balder. After riding Blue Fire at Europa-Park earlier this year, I was even more excited for Helix. I was a bit worried about the crowds, because I heard from a lot of people that it can get very busy at this park. But thankfully, a bit of early morning rain kept the big crowds away, resulting in relative low waiting times. The longest we waited was about 30 minutes for Mechanica. Balder and Helix were around 25 minutes all day. All the other rides were pretty much walk-on. It could not have been better!

But enough talking now, let's check out the photos!

DSC_0639.JPG
Welcome to Liseberg!

DSC_0747.JPG
You wouldn't say that this park is located in the middle of a city. My first impressions of the park were great! What a lovely park.

DSC_0753.JPG
We headed straight to the biggest ride in Liseberg. No, not Atmosfear..

DSC_0742.JPG
Unlike most coasters, you have a little pre-launch section on Helix. >> Bonus points!

DSC_0660.JPG
Right out of the station, you dive into this funky inversion.

DSC_0641.JPG
Great hangtime!

DSC_0647.JPG
The only negative point I can say about Helix, is that the launches weren't very forceful. They were fun, but there wasn't that "insane" feeling like you get on some other launch coasters. Still fun, though!

DSC_0651.JPG
My first ride was in the back. And ow man, there is some great ejector airtime! I wasn't expecting that.

DSC_0648.JPG
Hands up if you love Helix!

DSC_0679.JPG
Last inversion of the ride. Not as crazy as the hangtime you get on Blue Fire's In-Line Twist, but still pretty good.

DSC_0669.JPG
Aaaaaand into the brakes.

DSC_0670.JPG
Look at those trains! B-E-A-UTIFUL!

After riding Helix for a total of 11 times in two days, with numerous night rides, I can now officialy say that this is my third favourite coaster. The ride itself is fantastic; great inversions, butter smooth, good forces. And it is not just the ride, but the whole experience that you get. It all starts when you enter the queue. There is such a good atmosphere, and the music really gets you excited! I absolutely loved it!

DSC_0667.JPG
The Liseberg Wheel. Great views from up there!

DSC_0844.JPG
Next up was the park's Drop Tower, named AtmosFear. It was high, it was fast, but that's pretty much it. The drop wasn't very forceful.

DSC_0692.JPG
You know what they say.. What goes up, must come down.

DSC_0757.JPG
A Universal fountain with some Swedish words before it. I don't understand, but I htink it's about a big panda or so.

DSC_0760.JPG
Next ride was Lisebergbanan. This was a very fun coaster. Not the smoothest, but a very good family ride! I really enjoyed it.

DSC_0687.JPG
Going up the lift hill.

DSC_0682.JPG
Also, there was some airtime here and there.

DSC_0758.JPG
Helix photobombing (not the only time you will se this).

DSC_0763.JPG
Lisebergbanan through the trees.

DSC_0761.JPG
It is a fun coaster!

DSC_0764.JPG
Anyone for a ride on the Bumper Cars?

DSC_0772.JPG
Helix is just everywhere you look. Really, this ride is so big.

DSC_0775.JPG
JukeBox is themed after a.. Well uhm, JukeBox.

DSC_0778.JPG
Liseberg is a lot more beautiful than I expected it to be.

DSC_0780.JPG
Next up, Kanilendet?? Keninland?? Kanindet? Okay, let's just call it the kids area.

DSC_0781.JPG
You can get some good bumps here..

DSC_0785.JPG
What a lovely area!

DSC_0786.JPG
The next ride was Rabalder. (Again, Helix photobomb)

DSC_0789.JPG
It was fun, nothing special. Some nice theming, though.

DSC_0790.JPG
Credit whoring? Sure, why not.

DSC_0791.JPG
The Moulin Orange, the Swedish kids version of the Moulin Rouge in Paris. I guess...

DSC_0686.JPG
Some more photos from Helix for you guys.

DSC_0691.JPG
The Norwegian Loop was the most intense part of the ride.

DSC_0697.JPG
The color scheme reminded me a bit of Kärnan...

DSC_0709.JPG
Underneath shot for you.

DSC_0716.JPG
Look at that! No words..

DSC_0717.JPG
Night rides in the front will change your life! Believe me.

DSC_0722.JPG
Some great AtmosFear with Helix. (no pun intended)

DSC_0729.JPG
Inverting over the pathway.

DSC_0733.JPG
Love the lighting!

DSC_0735.JPG
Who doesn't like some nice curves?

DSC_0750.JPG
That's bigger than I thought.. (No 'that's what she said'-jokes here)

DSC_0754.JPG
Some random people enjoying their ride on The Next Level.

DSC_0774.JPG
LOVE!

DSC_0817.JPG
Next up was Kanonen, the Intamin Accelerator coaster of the park.

DSC_0816.JPG
The launch was great, more powerful than I thought. Not as intense as Desert Race's launch, but still pretty good.

DSC_0820.JPG
Loooop the looop.

DSC_0823.JPG
Kanonen was okay. Nothing mind blowing.

DSC_0826.JPG
Kanonen through the trees.

DSC_0838.JPG
Shooting over the top hat.

DSC_0779.JPG
Helix, Helix, Helix!

DSC_0792.JPG
Beautiful bridges, only at Liseberg.

DSC_0793.JPG
Some Swedish houses.

DSC_0794.JPG
My private boat was waiting for me.

DSC_0795.JPG
Hotel Gasten was amazing! I really loved it! Really worth the additional charge.

DSC_0796.JPG
The next ride was Kållerado, the Rapids of the park.

DSC_0797.JPG
It was a fun ride, with some nice theming. And I didn't get that wet.

DSC_0798.JPG
Just another flat ride thingy.

DSC_0800.JPG
Now, it's finally time for Balder! Ow, I mean Bollder???

DSC_0801.JPG
Aaaah, this looks more like it!

DSC_0802.JPG
Crazy insane airtime all over the place!

DSC_0814.JPG
In the queue, there were some pictures of the "milestone" coasters.

DSC_0808.JPG
Balder is awesome! Still wondering why not more parks added Intamin Woodies..

What can I say about this beloved Intamin woodie? Well, I loved it too! It was an amazing ride with some of the craziest airtime I've experienced. The first drop in the back was amazing as well. It sits at 10th place in my top 10 coasters, but that's only because there wasn't any theming. And I love the full experience. But the coaster itself is absolutely amazing!

DSC_0803.JPG
Burger King anyone??

DSC_0824.JPG
Wave Swinger doing its thing.

DSC_0828.JPG
Next up was Mechanica.

DSC_0825.JPG
Fantastic flat ride, with some good theming!

DSC_0829.JPG
FlumeRide is a nice and classic log flume.

DSC_0830.JPG
Double station for maximum capacity.

DSC_0835.JPG
Lift hill shot for the lift hill shots enthusiasts out there.

DSC_0836.JPG
I actually got pretty soaked, because there is a wall next to the splash as you can see in the picture.

DSC_0833.JPG
Just another ride.

DSC_0840.JPG
The newest addition of the park: AeroSpin! Unfortunately, it was very windy that day, so I didn't manage to get a lot of spins.. If I remember correctly, the record for the most spins ever on AeroSpin was 70!

DSC_0832.JPG
After all, I think AeroSpin is a great addition for this park.

DSC_0841.JPG
They also added this Venetian Carousel this year.

DSC_0702.JPG
One last photo from the awesome Helix to end our day!

Thanks for reading, I hope you guys enjoyed it!
Last edited by JordyC on Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:30 am.
<< Quality Over Quantity >>

1. Taron - Phantasialand 2. Helix - Liseberg 3. Expedition GeForce - Holiday Park 4. Schwur des Kärnan - Hansa Park 5. Blue Fire Megacoaster - Europa-Park 6. Goliath - Walibi Holland 7. Silver Star - Europa-Park 8. Balder - Liseberg 9. Lost Gravity - Walibi Holland 10. Flug der Dämonen - Heide Park

Coasters: 119 || Parks: 22

Liseberg - August 2016 || Holiday Park, Europa-Park & Plopsa Coo - June 2016 || Walibi Holland - March 2016

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Re: Photo TR: My first visit to Liseberg

Postby Nrthwnd » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:31 am

Great trip report! I love Liseberg, and all that it has, including the coasters and the flat rides, but especially
Gasten Hotel! I'm glad you got to "tour" the place. It is definitely worth the up charge, which pays the actors etc.

A lot of great photos you've taken. And one can never have too many photos of HELIX, I think.

Thank you for sharing your recent visit there. :)
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Location: 2 hours and a border crossing from the nearest theme park, Cedar Point.

Postby TheJewelOfJool » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:40 am

I would go to Sweden or Denmark, but flying there is expensive, due to the low canadian dollar. Anyway, great trip report!

Postby JordyC » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:18 am

Nrthwnd wrote:Great trip report! I love Liseberg, and all that it has, including the coasters and the flat rides, but especially Gasten Hotel! I'm glad you got to "tour" the place. It is definitely worth the up charge, which pays the actors etc.

Yes, Gasten Hotel was excellent! I really enjoyed it!

Nrthwnd wrote:A lot of great photos you've taken. And one can never have too many photos of HELIX, I think.

Thank you! And yes, Helix is just so photogenic.

TheJewelOfJool wrote:I would go to Sweden or Denmark, but flying there is expensive, due to the low canadian dollar.

I hope you will be able to visit Sweden soon. Liseberg is a wonderful park, with a great selection of rides!

TheJewelOfJool wrote:Anyway, great trip report!

Thanks!

1. Taron - Phantasialand 2. Helix - Liseberg 3. Expedition GeForce - Holiday Park 4. Schwur des Kärnan - Hansa Park 5. Blue Fire Megacoaster - Europa-Park 6. Goliath - Walibi Holland 7. Silver Star - Europa-Park 8. Balder - Liseberg 9. Lost Gravity - Walibi Holland 10. Flug der Dämonen - Heide Park

Liseberg - August 2016 || Holiday Park, Europa-Park & Plopsa Coo - June 2016 || Walibi Holland - March 2016

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby viking86 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:36 am

Looks like you had a great time! I love Liseberg, one of my favorite parks. Great ride selection, great scenery and awesome operations! I do agree with you about the launches on Helix, I also wish they could have been a bit stronger. Still a great ride though!

Thanks for sharing! :)

Postby JordyC » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:15 am

viking86 wrote:I love Liseberg, one of my favorite parks. Great ride selection, great scenery and awesome operations!!

Yes, I was pleasantly surprised about how beautiful this park is. & Exactly, the operations are fantastic in Liseberg! One of the best I've seen.

viking86 wrote:I do agree with you about the launches on Helix, I also wish they could have been a bit stronger. Still a great ride though!

Yeah, more powerful launches would have made this coaster even better. But as you say, it's still an awesome ride!

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:30 am

Such a great park! I need to get back there and ride Helix.

Postby JordyC » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:47 am

cfc wrote:Such a great park! I need to get back there and ride Helix.

It is a lovely park! There's such a great atmosphere, with all the shops and the nice restaurants. And, of course, Helix! It's worth the visit for that ride alone.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:29 pm

JordyC wrote:The only negative point I can say about Helix, is that the launches weren't very forceful. They were fun, but there wasn't that "insane" feeling like you get on some other launch coasters. Still fun, though!

To be honest, this is how I felt about Helix in general. Don't get me wrong, it's a *GREAT* ride, and I'm not sure if it was possibly over-hyped by other people or it's just not really "my thing" but after riding some REALLY intense looping coasters like Kumba, Maverick, iSpeed, etc or launched coasters with AMAZINGLY FORCEFUL launches like Dodonpa, Formula Rossa, and Top Thrill Dragster, that I just felt a *little* underwhelmed by Helix. It could also be that Balder is in the same park, and I'm more of an airtime person than I am an "inversion" person, and to me most of the inversions on Helix felt very similar and not much variety. It's saving grace was the moments of airtime the ride had, but it still didn't compare to Balder across the park.

I think Helix is a fantastic, wonderful ride... but it just didn't "thrill" me as much as I was expecting it to.

I am annoying as f**k!!!

Postby Henry M » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:15 pm

robbalvey wrote:
JordyC wrote:The only negative point I can say about Helix, is that the launches weren't very forceful. They were fun, but there wasn't that "insane" feeling like you get on some other launch coasters. Still fun, though!

To be honest, this is how I felt about Helix in general. Don't get me wrong, it's a *GREAT* ride, and I'm not sure if it was possibly over-hyped by other people or it's just not really "my thing" but after riding some REALLY intense looping coasters like Kumba, Maverick, iSpeed, etc or launched coasters with AMAZINGLY FORCEFUL launches like Dodonpa, Formula Rossa, and Top Thrill Dragster, that I just felt a *little* underwhelmed by Helix. It could also be that Balder is in the same park, and I'm more of an airtime person than I am an "inversion" person, and to me most of the inversions on Helix felt very similar and not much variety. It's saving grace was the moments of airtime the ride had, but it still didn't compare to Balder across the park.

I think Helix is a fantastic, wonderful ride... but it just didn't "thrill" me as much as I was expecting it to.

I think that is very interesting, because I had an exact same experience as you, in the way it is definitely not the most intense coaster out there by any respect, but it is just such an awesome ride. I am more of an inversion person, but the two main air time moments just made the ride so much better. I found the air time on Balder too much and too repetitive as well, especially after a whole day at the park, after the ride had massively warmed up (it was also night) and back row. I felt ill and it never ended, just kept throwing my insides up over :airtime: and over :airtime: and over :airtimer: :airtimer: :airtimer: again. It was still awesome though, even on the verge of puke!

HELIX for the win!
1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Balder 4. Oblivion 5. The Swarm 6. Lisebergbanan 7. Kanonen 8. Colossus 9. Stealth 10.Rage

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!