TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Child falls off Idlewild roller coaster

Sorry if there is a thread for this park already, I searched and couldnt find it. Mods if there is please move this.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2016/08/11/child-falls-off-roller-coaster-at-idlewild-park/

http://www.wtae.com/news/child-falls-off-idlewild-roller-coaster/41153660

LIGONIER, Pa. —A child reportedly fell off a roller coaster at Idlewild and SoakZone on Thursday morning, according to Westmoreland County emergency dispatchers.

Firefighters and paramedics were being called to the amusement park in Ligonier. A medical helicopter was also being requested.

It's not yet known which ride the child was on, or how far the youth fell.

The park currently operates two coasters -- Rollo Coaster, with a height requirement of 36 inches, and Wild Mouse, which has a 48-inch requirement.

Cars on the Rollo Coaster do not include seat belts. Riders who are under 48 inches must be accompanied by an adult.

Refresh this page soon for updates.

Bad couple of weeks for kids @ parks.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, bad few weeks for parks. It's interesting that they aren't releasing which ride it occurred on. Regardless, hoping for a speedy recovery for all those who were involved.

Now, let's try something new and just wait for the offical report to come out before speculating about every possible aspect of the accident that none of us know anything about.

That's really sad. Does anyone know the condition of the child?

I was really surprised by Rollo Coaster having no seat belts (suggesting that is the ride it happened on). I really enjoyed the classic freedom to it but I questioned the potential danger that freedom has at what is primarily a children's park.

That's really sad. Does anyone know the condition of the child?

I was really surprised by Rollo Coaster having no seat belts (suggesting that is the ride it happened on). I really enjoyed the classic freedom to it but I questioned the potential danger that freedom has at what is primarily a children's park.

Other articles said the child was conscious when taken to the hospital but that was all that was said.

I recall someone saying the child was 3 years of age.

2016 is officially the worst year ever.

To be fair, how many people have been killed on theme park rides this year? Sure there have been some accidents but very few fatalities. It's actually been sort of a lucky year in that regard. An entire coaster train derailed and crashed into a kiddy ride at M&D's and nobody was killed. It sounds like in this incident the child will likely be fine. Aside from the Verruckt accident what really happened? Someone drowned in a swimming pool at Knoebels which is terrible but doesn't really count. I'm sure there have been others but I can't think of any.

I recall someone saying the child was 3 years of age.

2016 is officially the worst year ever.

To be fair, how many people have been killed on theme park rides this year? Sure there have been some accidents but very few fatalities. It's actually been sort of a lucky year in that regard. An entire coaster train derailed and crashed into a kiddy ride at M&D's and nobody was killed. It sounds like in this incident the child will likely be fine. Aside from the Verruckt accident what really happened? Someone drowned in a swimming pool at Knoebels which is terrible but doesn't really count. I'm sure there have been others but I can't think of any.

You're right on that. I can't recall there being very many fatalities this year, so I would agree that 2016 has been a lucky year in terms of deaths. I just wish there was a way to prevent all fatalities at all amusement parks worldwide. I mean there is absolutely no reason why anyone should lose their life at an amusement/theme park, there's just no excuse. Sadly more people will continue to be killed at parks no matter what.

I'm lifting this straight from the news as I'm hearing it on my TV: It was Rollo Coaster, the coaster was inspected this morning, the boy is in a Pittsburgh hospital, and Ligonier police are handling the investigation as to what went wrong.

I send my prayers to the family and the boy. Hopefully he heals soon, and everything is okay.

As for Rollo Coaster, how old was the kid? Was he really three? I understand there's no real seatbelt, but the boy should have had a parent with him, right?

I dunno, I'll just wait and watch what happens. It's quite sad something like this happened at such a park like Idlewild. I have a good amount of memories of the ride, back when I lived in the area, so seeing it was kind of shocking.

I just wish there was a way to prevent all fatalities at all amusement parks worldwide. I mean there is absolutely no reason why anyone should lose their life at an amusement/theme park, there's just no excuse. Sadly more people will continue to be killed at parks no matter what.

Way I see it, there's a lot of living that happens in parks, unfortunately that means some dying. They sometimes seem like fantasy worlds where people adventure but nothing bad ever happens, and that would be great if true. Especially since much of what happens simulates extreme danger. Of course some causes of death are more regrettable than others.

Imagine how many deaths would occur from people seeking even a tenth the thrills by other methods.

I can remember a time wishing rides were more extreme and they'd just say "ride at your own risk" ... of course thinking about accidents seriously will cure you of that delusion, and the operators and park itself are always at risk.

Rollo Coaster has been operating without a restraint since it opened 75 years ago. Despite the changes in law, the state never required the park to install restraints. And with that kind of track record, it's not even something I'd raise questions over. You can watch YouTube video of the ride which is relatively tame. A 3 yr old, however, needs to be with a responsible rider since they lack the ability to properly handle themselves on a coaster. Most parents place their arm around their kids. I'm not sure this boys brother thought to do the same.

Concerning the idea that 2016 is a bad year for theme park safety, I'd say that the fact that a non-fatal accident on a ride is major national news points to the overall relative safety of rides and their reputation for safety. Even today (yesterday now) those that went to Idlewild were safer at the park than just driving there, accident included.

That said, it's always saddening to hear about an accident but I'm glad to hear nobody died. Hopefully there aren't any unnecessary lawsuits.

If local paper's (Tribune Review) sources are correct then this looks like a double fail between the ride ops and the parents. As a parent of two girls roughly the same age (6 1/2 and 2 1/2) I would never dream to consider my oldest daughter a "responsible rider" to protect her little sister. That being said the ride ops should have caught this as well (if the facts are correct) as they boarded the ride to override the parent's stupidity.

triblive.com/news/adminpage/10949512-74/coaster-park-ride

State inspectors and law enforcement are investigating how a 3-year-old boy tumbled from a classic wooden roller coaster he was riding with his 7-year-old brother Thursday at Idlewild Park & SoakZone in Ligonier Township.

The boy, from Jeannette, was in critical condition and underwent surgery Thursday afternoon, according to sources. His name has not been released.

• 1 year later...

It sickens me (ok, strong words) that such a big change has to occur because someone didn't follow rules. It's horrible the toddler was hurt, but the ride has ran for what... 7 decades with out incident?

I believe those were oldest PTC trains in operation. They were beautiful, super comfy and meticulously maintained. I'll kick myself over and over for not getting there more. Our society is so fearful of everything. It's really stupid. I'm sure the new PTC train (or trains?) will be nice, but what a loss. We don't have much classic rolling stock around.

It sickens me (ok, strong words) that such a big change has to occur because someone didn't follow rules. It's horrible the toddler was hurt, but the ride has ran for what... 7 decades with out incident?

I believe those were oldest PTC trains in operation. They were beautiful, super comfy and meticulously maintained. I'll kick myself over and over for not getting there more. Our society is so fearful of everything. It's really stupid. I'm sure the new PTC train (or trains?) will be nice, but what a loss. We don't have much classic rolling stock around.

You're reaching a bit. Had it been an adult I'd understand your argument but it wasn't an adult, It was a toddler. While you may not have been trying to come off as insensitive, it is a tad bit insensitive to say that all of society is scared. The decision was made out of respect for the family and to prevent an accident like this from ever happening again.

It sickens me (ok, strong words) that such a big change has to occur because someone didn't follow rules.

Yup. Even stronger words from me, but it's not my preference to be more than moderately critical or negative on the Internet, so I'll refrain. It's disgusting that (unless I'm misreading, which admittedly I'm good at, or the poorly-written article is wrong) apparently an adult was directly involved in breaking the rules, which in this case were undeniably for the safety of the riders, rather than serving some other purpose.

While the changes that enthusiasts complain about, that won't affect anyone else's enjoyment of the ride (barring comfort issues, etc.) are what hit me hardest as a rider, what seems even more disappointing overall is the move toward higher height restrictions--that's no fun for people in the rides' target audience.

While the changes that enthusiasts complain about, that won't affect anyone else's enjoyment of the ride (barring comfort issues, etc.) are what hit me hardest as a rider, what seems even more disappointing overall is the move toward higher height restrictions--that's no fun for people in the rides' target audience.

Yeah, I agree that the height requirement is disappointing. Safety is clearly #1, but I wonder if all of the steps are cumulatively a bit of an overreaction. I'd think that seat belts and mandatory adults (not slightly older children) riding with younger children would be OK. I just took a four-year-old on the Log Jammer at Kennywood, without any seat belts or anything, and we were certainly, well, "responsible" and fine. That's a much larger, faster ride than the ol' Rollo Coaster. The inspectors also flagged the coaster for some loose dirt or debris around its footers -- come on, now -- that's just nitpicking.

At the same time, following the steps gives the park a clear path toward PR recovery from this accident, a child was hurt, and since Idlewild isn't a carny operation, modifications or a permanent closure were going to be the only options. I know we love to bang on the "I hate stupid people" drum, but I just feel bad for the toddler. Continuing with the train that was the scene of a kids' accident would be bad juju and keep a stench around the ride; it was a lovely vintage train, but PTC will get some business and cook up something new. I'd like the new train to be plush and not hard foam, but ultimately I just hope that the child is OK.