Child falls off Idlewild roller coaster

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Did the donkey fairy give me this title?

Re: Child falls off Idlewild roller coaster

Postby terdferg » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:25 pm

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby Shavethewhales » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:27 pm

Reading between the lines, it sounds like new trains. So many news writers are so bad at details...

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby JT325 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:15 pm

It sickens me (ok, strong words) that such a big change has to occur because someone didn't follow rules. It's horrible the toddler was hurt, but the ride has ran for what... 7 decades with out incident?

I believe those were oldest PTC trains in operation. They were beautiful, super comfy and meticulously maintained. I'll kick myself over and over for not getting there more. Our society is so fearful of everything. It's really stupid. I'm sure the new PTC train (or trains?) will be nice, but what a loss. We don't have much classic rolling stock around.
#CPFrontierLift2019

I ask dumb questions.

Postby djackson » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:54 pm

JT325 wrote:It sickens me (ok, strong words) that such a big change has to occur because someone didn't follow rules. It's horrible the toddler was hurt, but the ride has ran for what... 7 decades with out incident?

I believe those were oldest PTC trains in operation. They were beautiful, super comfy and meticulously maintained. I'll kick myself over and over for not getting there more. Our society is so fearful of everything. It's really stupid. I'm sure the new PTC train (or trains?) will be nice, but what a loss. We don't have much classic rolling stock around.

You're reaching a bit. Had it been an adult I'd understand your argument but it wasn't an adult, It was a toddler. While you may not have been trying to come off as insensitive, it is a tad bit insensitive to say that all of society is scared. The decision was made out of respect for the family and to prevent an accident like this from ever happening again.
My Home park is Six Flags America
Coaster Count: 70 :cry:
Instagram:kvng_coasters
YouTube: Kvng Of Coasters

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby cal1br3tto » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:10 pm

JT325 wrote:It sickens me (ok, strong words) that such a big change has to occur because someone didn't follow rules.

Yup. Even stronger words from me, but it's not my preference to be more than moderately critical or negative on the Internet, so I'll refrain. It's disgusting that (unless I'm misreading, which admittedly I'm good at, or the poorly-written article is wrong) apparently an adult was directly involved in breaking the rules, which in this case were undeniably for the safety of the riders, rather than serving some other purpose.

While the changes that enthusiasts complain about, that won't affect anyone else's enjoyment of the ride (barring comfort issues, etc.) are what hit me hardest as a rider, what seems even more disappointing overall is the move toward higher height restrictions--that's no fun for people in the rides' target audience.
113 wood+501 steel=614|Boulder Dash|Coaster|X2|Maverick|Phoenix|Twisted Colossus|Storm Chaser|iRat|Kawasemi|NTag

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby Samuel » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:00 pm

cal1br3tto wrote:While the changes that enthusiasts complain about, that won't affect anyone else's enjoyment of the ride (barring comfort issues, etc.) are what hit me hardest as a rider, what seems even more disappointing overall is the move toward higher height restrictions--that's no fun for people in the rides' target audience.

Yeah, I agree that the height requirement is disappointing. Safety is clearly #1, but I wonder if all of the steps are cumulatively a bit of an overreaction. I'd think that seat belts and mandatory adults (not slightly older children) riding with younger children would be OK. I just took a four-year-old on the Log Jammer at Kennywood, without any seat belts or anything, and we were certainly, well, "responsible" and fine. That's a much larger, faster ride than the ol' Rollo Coaster. The inspectors also flagged the coaster for some loose dirt or debris around its footers -- come on, now -- that's just nitpicking.

At the same time, following the steps gives the park a clear path toward PR recovery from this accident, a child was hurt, and since Idlewild isn't a carny operation, modifications or a permanent closure were going to be the only options. I know we love to bang on the "I hate stupid people" drum, but I just feel bad for the toddler. Continuing with the train that was the scene of a kids' accident would be bad juju and keep a stench around the ride; it was a lovely vintage train, but PTC will get some business and cook up something new. I'd like the new train to be plush and not hard foam, but ultimately I just hope that the child is OK.

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby Garet » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:14 am

SharkTums wrote:I barely allow KT to ride with Garbels...no way would I let her ride with another small child!!!!!

I probably wouldn't even let my son ride with another adult in a single rider line until he's in his teens. I remember seeing some young moms and dad's on a Korean rapids ride with a baby strapped to their chest. Apparently, they took the no minimum height restriction with an adult way too seriously and decided that made it ok.... it's not a very intense rapids but still seems like a really stupid unnecessary risk to ride together, especially at night when it's not warm. Even stupider throwing in the line was 10 minutes and there was no reason not to split the group.

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!