USA 2016 - Robb & Elissa Traveling Around Riding Stuff

P.16 - NYC! Scott's Pizza Tour! Matilda! Statue of Liberty!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: USA 2016 - Robb & Elissa Traveling Around Riding Stuff

Postby Philrad71 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:40 pm

viking86 wrote:
cfc wrote:^Neither do I. I was hoping to a slew of Intamin wooden coasters after the success of El Toro and Balder, but it never happened. It worked out for RMC, though.

I'm surprised we never saw any clones of Balder being built, considering the small footprint combined with a good ride experience.

I always wondered that myself as well given that it's not El Toro-sized.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:47 pm

viking86 wrote:
cfc wrote:^Neither do I. I was hoping to a slew of Intamin wooden coasters after the success of El Toro and Balder, but it never happened. It worked out for RMC, though.

I'm surprised we never saw any clones of Balder being built, considering the small footprint combined with a good ride experience.

If you look at the POV of T-Express you can see that the ride starts out like El Toro and goes into what basically is a Balder clone. When we talked with the project managers at the park they told me "We went and ride El Toro and Balder. We told Intamin we liked them both and we want our ride to be a combination of the two and that's exactly what they gave us!"

It's a shame that Everland hasn't built another major coaster since as that's sort of what we were waiting for to go back to that park. It's a great park and my memory of that ride is it's the best wooden coaster I've ever been on. Considering that El Toro and Balder haven't changed that much over the years I can't imagine that T Express wouldn't be any less amazing then it was when i rode it in 2008.

I poke manatees in the butt.

Postby Jcoaster » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:58 pm

robbalvey wrote:
viking86 wrote:

If you look at the POV of T-Express you can see that the ride starts out like El Toro and goes into what basically is a Balder clone. When we talked with the project managers at the park they told me "We went and ride El Toro and Balder. We told Intamin we liked them both and we want our ride to be a combination of the two and that's exactly what they gave us!"

It's a shame that Everland hasn't built another major coaster since as that's sort of what we were waiting for to go back to that park. It's a great park and my memory of that ride is it's the best wooden coaster I've ever been on. Considering that El Toro and Balder haven't changed that much over the years I can't imagine that T Express wouldn't be any less amazing then it was when i rode it in 2008.

Wow. I can see it being the best considering that it combines Balder and Toro. The best of both worlds.
Skyrush, El Toro, Superman: The Ride, Apollo's Chariot, Boulder Dash, Montu, Phoenix , StormRunner, Griffin/ Shiekra, Alpengeist

Harry Potter is a sick donkey.

Postby Pear » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:53 pm

Jcoaster wrote:
robbalvey wrote:
viking86 wrote:

Wow. I can see it being the best considering that it combines Balder and Toro. The best of both worlds.

T Express looks amazing, but I think that Eagle's Fortress was even more insane. Too bad it got torn down, I really wish I could have ridden it. :cry:

Did the donkey fairy give me this title?

Postby williamj2543 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:36 pm

Jcoaster wrote:I know Intamin pre-fabs are a bit more on the expensive side, but that still shouldn't deter an entire continent from building another one.

Didn't el toro only cost 12 million? Getting a coaster that holds the top 2 best wooden coasters in the world for over 5 years for only 12 million dollars sounds like a great deal for me.

If we got an Intamin Prefab at Canada's Wonderland I would be much happier than if we got another Wing Coaster...
Top 10: Maverick, Top Thrill Dragster, El Toro, Cheetah Hunt, Millenium Force, Montu, Magnum Xl-200, Valravn, Behemoth, Leviathan/California Screamin

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Password121 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:52 pm

williamj2543 wrote:
Jcoaster wrote:I know Intamin pre-fabs are a bit more on the expensive side, but that still shouldn't deter an entire continent from building another one.

Didn't el toro only cost 12 million? Getting a coaster that holds the top 2 best wooden coasters in the world for over 5 years for only 12 million dollars sounds like a great deal for me.

If we got an Intamin Prefab at Canada's Wonderland I would be much happier than if we got another Wing Coaster...

I don't have a source so take it with a grain of salt but I've heard the actual figure is around $25 million (or a "package deal" with Kingda Ka just added $12 million, but again this could be entirely false so grain of salt).
El Toro--Maverick--Intimidator 305--Millennium Force--Phantom's Revenge

I poke manatees in the butt.

Postby Jcoaster » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:01 pm

^ No I think you are correct. If I remember correcty there was a package deal going on for those two. And it still bankrupt Premier.
Skyrush, El Toro, Superman: The Ride, Apollo's Chariot, Boulder Dash, Montu, Phoenix , StormRunner, Griffin/ Shiekra, Alpengeist

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby Garet » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:11 pm

robbalvey wrote: It's a shame that Everland hasn't built another major coaster since as that's sort of what we were waiting for to go back to that park. It's a great park and my memory of that ride is it's the best wooden coaster I've ever been on. Considering that El Toro and Balder haven't changed that much over the years I can't imagine that T Express wouldn't be any less amazing then it was when i rode it in 2008.

Sadly, the whole county hasn't had a major coaster since T Express unless you count the Vekoma Suspended Family Coaster that came to Children's Grand Park and even that renewal was at the expense of a looping coaster and an Intamin Gyro Swing. I think the only thrill ride that the country has seen that was aimed at thrill seekers, until this year's very recent Air Race and Discovery 360 at E Land, was Lotte World's Disko.

I bring this up because I have had one or two rides where T Express has felt very, very, slightly rougher. I'm not sure if it's because I was using the single rider line or because of the reservation system that used to be in place led to half empty trains which they would dump said isngle riders on, but I've also had rides which have been as great as when I first arrived in Korea. Even the "rough" rides are probably better than 98% of the other coasters I've been on.

That's pretty impressive for a coaster that not only runs almost 300 days a year (a month for rehab and then maybe another 30 days or so where the weather goes outside the operating requirements), but does so in one of the busiest parks in the world, where the only other coaster is an arrow looper that mostly runs just 1 train (R.I.P. Eagle's Fortress) so taking the brunt of the crowds with extreme 35C heat in summer and -20C in the winter. Then throw in the fact like I said above there has been nothing new in the 8 years meaning it's still the "signature ride" for the country for people to travel to ride and it's an incredible testament to Intamin that it runs as well as it does.

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby Nitro1118 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:15 am

Thanks so much for the super high quality El Toro POV, Robb! It is one of the most filmed coasters on Youtube but lacked a POV quite like that one.

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby Brent York » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:32 am

robbalvey wrote:We love the new safari attraction @SFGrAdventure! Was so happy they made this change a couple of years ago!

Why is that? I haven't been on the new version. Cars blocking the road maybe?

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!