USA 2016 - Robb & Elissa Traveling Around Riding Stuff

P.16 - NYC! Scott's Pizza Tour! Matilda! Statue of Liberty!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Re: USA 2016 - Robb & Elissa Traveling Around Riding Stuff

Postby robbalvey » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:15 pm

xVicesAndVirtues wrote:Impressive video quality in that El Toro video. In the off-ride shots, it's visually as close to "actually there" as you can probably get.

My iPhone SE thanks you! :)

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby Gnome » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:07 am

I can't believe El Toro is 10 years old. It seems it's held up so well that's it's really a shame that other parks didn't build any. Apocalypse at magic mountain is almost 10 and it's terrible. Imagine if they had one of these. :/
Don't worry, it's an emergency! I'm Chuck Norris

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby ArgoZ » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:50 am

Gnome wrote:I can't believe El Toro is 10 years old. It seems it's held up so well that's it's really a shame that other parks didn't build any. Apocalypse at magic mountain is almost 10 and it's terrible. Imagine if they had one of these. :/

I've often wondered this myself. The coaster is near perfection and has been an almost unique ride for 10 years. Aside from a few models overseas, I am surprised Intamin didn't plop similar pre-fab clones of El Toro, all over America at various Six Flags.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:01 am

ArgoZ wrote:I am surprised Intamin didn't plop similar pre-fab clones of El Toro, all over America at various Six Flags.

It's not up to Intamin to build a ride at the parks, it's up to Six Flags to build a ride at their parks. Intamin just can't go in and build a ride when they want to, you know!

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby ArgoZ » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:35 am

robbalvey wrote:
ArgoZ wrote:I am surprised Intamin didn't plop similar pre-fab clones of El Toro, all over America at various Six Flags.

It's not up to Intamin to build a ride at the parks, it's up to Six Flags to build a ride at their parks. Intamin just can't go in and build a ride when they want to, you know!

True, I apologize for wording that wrong. I should have stated that I was surprised various North American parks didn't hire Intamin to build more pre-fabs, due to the success of El-Toro.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:41 am

ArgoZ wrote:
robbalvey wrote:

True, I apologize for wording that wrong. I should have stated that I was surprised various North American parks didn't hire Intamin to build more pre-fabs, due to the success of El-Toro.

Yes. THIS I don't quite understand either. You would think that parks would go "Wow, they just built one of the greatest ranked roller coasters of all-time...we want one, too!" But that oddly enough didn't happen at all.

It was like when Great Adventure went "Wow, Cedar Point just built the tallest/fastest roller coaster in the world...we want one, too!"

So maybe the lesson learned here is that the buck stops with Great Adventure? ;)

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:02 am

^Neither do I. I was hoping to see a slew of Intamin wooden coasters after the success of El Toro and Balder, but it never happened. It worked out for RMC, though.
Last edited by cfc on Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:35 pm.

I Love Donkeys!

Postby ObeyTheShihTzu! » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:09 pm

SharkTums wrote:
KT had a nice time on the trip, to answer some random questions I saw:

- She doesn't like parks and coasters as much as we do.

Bet I'm stating the obvious here ;) ...but alas, I think I may see part of the dilemma. Going back into the Dark Ages of my own childhood at KT's age, "fun" was very much determined by having a friend 'my age' along with me. Arrrgggghhh...I know I know.....I'm sure I'm hitting a sore spot now. I totally 'get' that unless it was a blood relative (and maybe even THEN), Ma & Pa Alvey would no doubt be spending the entire year proceeding the event, signing legal responsibility waivers handed to you by lawyers of "Party hereto known as: 'Friend and her Parental Units.'" :omg:

(Of course, if you're lucky enough, you can get "Said 'FRIEND's'" entire family to join you, hence freeing you two up to actually ENJOY the trip! ) You'll always be a 'hero' to KT, her King & Queen of Coasters, but alas by ages 9, 10, on up, a girlfriend to giggle and go wild with, is a price above rubies! Girls just wanna have fun! (But you all know this stuff, so my apologies if I'm stating the obvious!) :oops:

Alice

P.S. It was so cool seeing your SFGA pix, especially the exquisite El Toro! :airtime:

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby viking86 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:25 pm

cfc wrote:^Neither do I. I was hoping to a slew of Intamin wooden coasters after the success of El Toro and Balder, but it never happened. It worked out for RMC, though.

I'm surprised we never saw any clones of Balder being built, considering the small footprint combined with a good ride experience.

I poke manatees in the butt.

Postby Jcoaster » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:41 pm

I know Intamin pre-fabs are a bit more on the expensive side, but that still shouldn't deter an entire continent from building another one.
Skyrush, El Toro, Superman: The Ride, Apollo's Chariot, Boulder Dash, Montu, Phoenix , StormRunner, Griffin/ Shiekra, Alpengeist

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!