Nagashima Spa Land (NSL) Discussion Thread

TR shows off Arashi
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I wrote the book about donkeys!

Re: Nagashima Spa Land (NSL) Discussion Thread

Postby tanthonyam » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:34 pm

Any video out there of those massive pirate ships in action?

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby Garet » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:37 am

I think Everland may have the same massive double ones, honestly I think they may be less exciting than regular ones, although it is cool looking around and seeing like 100 people on it with you. I've don't think I've ever seen the far side running even on crazy busy days when lines have hit 90 minutes-2 hours which is a shame because that would be cool to see with 200 people.

I did manage to find this really old video of both sides by searching in Korean for it

P1010116.jpg
P1160965.jpg
P1160968.jpg

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby vistaway » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:30 am

Re: the pirate ships, the onsen (spa) had a great year-by-year history of the parks on the walls. The small one actually came first, and then the giant double ships in 1985. So I am guessing that the first small one was really popular, which pushed them to get the big ones.

They were only running one ship the day I was there, which was fine as the capacity of a single one is insane. Each ship has two lap bars per row, and I am guessing could fit 10-12 across. It's at least twice as wide and long as a typical pirate ship ride. The experience was similar to a regular one, IMHO. The cycle was pretty long. I'm not a fan of these rides as much as I used to be, so I tend to favour the middle rows. But it felt like a typical ship.

I really liked their kids' area. I didn't realize they moved some big rides out of there to create it. Makes sense.

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby 9Armgeddon4 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:29 pm

According to Screamscape White Cyclone might be receiving the RMC treatment in the near future.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby cal1br3tto » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:58 pm

^My first thought was, "Oh, now I'll have to go back there." I quickly remembered that, in fact, I'd already wanted to do so. =) Very intriguing news regarding what's currently a fairly inoffensive, but ultimately middling-to-poor wooden coaster.

Also, I'd forgotten all about Screamscape until earlier today when I saw them quoted in the NYT. :p
113 wood+499 steel=612|Boulder Dash|Coaster|X2|Maverick|Phoenix|Twisted Colossus|Storm Chaser|iRat|Kawasemi|NTag

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby Jetstar2 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:39 pm

I went there on a Wednesday in May just after golden week and I think there were less than 300 guests at the park. Everything was walk-on. The majority of the waiting I did was on rides waiting for more riders to show up. The large pirate ship was running one side, on a schedule of once every 30 min. I rode with two parents and a child being the only other people on the ride.

It may sound great, but it was actually creepy as hell. It basically seemed like the park was closed and I shouldn't be there. The loading platforms for the two boats make a giant concrete circle that looks like some sort of bizarre Colosseum. It was empty except for me. The family I rode with showed up at the last second. The opposite rear row of the boat from me was just missing for some reason. The ride op doesn't actively staff the ride, and just showed up for the one planned cycle. It was probably one of the creepiest ride experiences I've ever had. That's not necessarily a bad thing, I'm glad I did it.

DSC00965.JPG
Just look at all those guests!

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:31 pm

cal1br3tto wrote:Also, I'd forgotten all about Screamscape until earlier today when I saw them quoted in the NYT.

It's funny you mention that as we were just talking recently how Screamscape seems to come up less and less in conversation lately. Not sure if it's just that not as much is happening industry wide right now, or that so much of it gets posted to social media before you see it on that site.

Either way, RMC in Japan would kick A$$!

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:54 am

^It would indeed. When I first rode White Cyclone in 2007, I didn't think it was all that bad; however, it was a different story years later. It would be the perfect first RMC for Japan.

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby Rill'o'beily » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:32 am

Garet wrote:I did manage to find this really old video of both sides by searching in Korean for it

Any idea who made these ships? I'm kinda interested as a flat enthusiast

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:46 am

robbalvey wrote:
cal1br3tto wrote:Also, I'd forgotten all about Screamscape until earlier today when I saw them quoted in the NYT.

It's funny you mention that as we were just talking recently how Screamscape seems to come up less and less in conversation lately. Not sure if it's just that not as much is happening industry wide right now, or that so much of it gets posted to social media before you see it on that site.

While Screamscape rumors were always sort of a joke among enthusiasts they actually used to be right more than they ever had any right to be considering they were always going on hearsay / questionable sources. I think you're on to something by bringing up social media. I feel like now they're pushing out rumors a lot faster with less interest in checking their sources so they can still be ahead of the curve in the age of social media and it's led to them posting some really stupid rumors and losing a little credibility (like the one about Kings Dominion replacing the Log Flume with a launched B&M flyer a few years ago).

As for White Cyclone, that would be awesome. With a ride that huge the possibilities of what they could do are virtually endless. Obviously we have no way of knowing how credible this is but that coaster really does seem to be begging for the RMC treatment.

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!