Coasterbill's Alcohol, Coaster and Culture Trip Reports Land

Como Town and Como Zoo
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Coasterbill's Alcohol, Coaster and Culture Trip Reports

Postby coasterbill » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:22 am

bert425 wrote:^ great report and photos, and reminds me pretty much of what I did during my last two days there. . .LOL. . almost exactly in the order you did as well!

I too am gonna miss Witches Wheel, tho a park representative I chatted with (while watching other TPR folks ride Steel Vengeance) did tell me what they are going to be putting in next year will "blow my mind". . so excited to see what's gonna fill that spot!

Thanks! Yeah, I'm definitely excited for the future of that spot.

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:Awesome report of some great beers. Oh and rides I guess. That Beyoncé line... :lmao: CP has the best ride ops.

Glad Brit got over her fear of Ferris wheels. Julie won't ride one either, but fortunately for me my oldest two love them.

I think you guys have already done the Breakfast in the Sky (irl, not in the narrative)? Hope you enjoyed/will enjoy it.

Thanks! That's correct, but for the six people who care but haven't added me on Facebook I'll keep everyone in "suspense" about Breakfast in the Sky. :lol:

Zand wrote:I read the Great Adventure line at lunch today and let's just say I drew quite a bit of attention to myself.

:lol: :lmao: :lol: I love hearing sh*t like this. Thanks for reading / commenting!

boldikus wrote:Great stuff as usual. I know Ive told you before but youve been taking exceptionally good photos now that you've got that new phone. Some really, really good ones recently.

I got lucky with that Maverick one, but otherwise I wouldn't go that far. It's marginally less terrible at zooming though. :lol:

Canobie Coaster wrote:Great report! Cedar Point really does have amazing operators and they know how to make jokes. My favorite was the one at Magnum who was taking a giant dump on Steel Force a few years ago.

:lol: Yeah... that's deserved.

JRice92 wrote:
coasterbill wrote:I feel like if you work Dragster that's really the attitude you have to have. Just embrace the fact that the ride is an unmitigated disaster.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

:nina:

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:52 pm

coasterbill wrote:
ytterbiumanalyst wrote:Awesome report of some great beers. Oh and rides I guess. That Beyoncé line... :lmao: CP has the best ride ops.

Glad Brit got over her fear of Ferris wheels. Julie won't ride one either, but fortunately for me my oldest two love them.

I think you guys have already done the Breakfast in the Sky (irl, not in the narrative)? Hope you enjoyed/will enjoy it.

Thanks! That's correct, but for the six people who care but haven't added me on Facebook I'll keep everyone in "suspense" about Breakfast in the Sky. :lol:

As a proud member of that gang of six (don't care for Facebook, nothing to do with you personally), can't wait!

Postby Philrad71 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:17 pm

Puff The Tragic Dragon. :lol:

Reading your report has me stoked for this week!

Oh, and that biker week shirt has to be worse than the 'Killin' It Every Day' t-shirt that Zach mentioned in the KI thread. Not sure if I will be able to top that god awful t-shirt photo, but I am going to see if I can - and only hope that I don't get my A$$ kicked in the process. :lol:

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:23 pm

coasterbill wrote:It's always nice to see a park that still has an operating Monorail.

Ooof. I don't know whether I should nod in agreement or walk away from that one. :lol:
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Postby coasterbill » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:21 am

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:As a proud member of that gang of six (don't care for Facebook, nothing to do with you personally), can't wait!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Philrad71 wrote:Puff The Tragic Dragon. :lol:

Reading your report has me stoked for this week!

Oh, and that biker week shirt has to be worse than the 'Killin' It Every Day' t-shirt that Zach mentioned in the KI thread. Not sure if I will be able to top that god awful t-shirt photo, but I am going to see if I can - and only hope that I don't get my A$$ kicked in the process. :lol:

LOL! Have fun this weekend!

A.J. wrote:
coasterbill wrote:It's always nice to see a park that still has an operating Monorail.

Ooof. I don't know whether I should nod in agreement or walk away from that one. :lol:

This is the confused reaction that I strive for with all of my trip reports.

Postby coasterbill » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:21 am

We woke up Monday morning with an 8 hour drive ahead of us but also with Platinum Passes in our pockets so we knew we couldn't leave Sandusky without taking advantage of one more Early Entry. We bought these things so we might as well use them. Not getting up early again and joining hordes of crazy people rushing to the back of the park to ride Steel Vengeance would just be a waste of money. It's the logical thing to do. Yeah... I'll keep telling myself that. :lol:

We didn't plan to stay long but we knew we wanted one more ride on Steel Vengeance. Aside from that we didn't really have any "official" plans for the rest of the day but I was already working on a few things in the back of my mind.

First thing's first though, we arrived at the park bright and early and made our way back to the resort gate and through to the holding area. As usual, we encountered a sea of humanity when we got there, 99.9% of them hellbent on trampling eachother on the way to Steel Vengeance and 0.01% of them small children who just wanted to go to Camp Snoopy that had no idea that they would have to dodge a bunch of crazed adults on their way to Frontiertown.

Greetings from the sh*tshow!

We're not runners, so we ended up right where we did the first time at the end of the straightaway facing a wait time of about 30 minutes or so.

PS: Again, remember that this was Memorial Day weekend and at the time, phones were allowed in the queue and on the ride.

IMG_0465.JPG
Let's do this!

IMG_0466.JPG
This is why we love Early Entry!

I don't remember where we ended up sitting, but I do remember that (per usual) we were treated to an absolutely insane ride. It's really just a convoluted, wonderful clusterf*ck of a creation that needs to be experienced to be believed. Even though we were blown away by our first ride, I feel like this is the type of coaster that we end up liking more and more every time we ride it.

IMG_0468.JPG
Such an awesome ride...

We checked out the Beau queue when we exited the ride but the queue house was totally full. If it were a bit earlier we might have given it a shot knowing that they would only pull from standby until 10:00 but early entry was pretty much over at that point so we opted to keep on walking, satisfied with our numerous rides over the previous two days.

One thing we couldn't pass up was Skyhawk which we had somehow avoided all weekend but seemed to be slowing to a stop as we approached with a nonexistant queue built up.

IMG_0469.JPG
Who doesn't love this thing?

I'm not exactly sure how we had managed to miss Skyhawk all weekend but I'm glad we had the opportunity to correct it. While it's short, it's a super awesome ride and the fact that it basically never has a line is really the icing on the cake. Every time I ride this thing I wish I had one for the back yard that I could put on a 2 hour long ride cycle. :lol:

While it was tempting to stay all day we knew we couldn't stick around much longer but needless to say there was one more stop we needed to make on the way out. I don't even think we ever formally discussed it, we just got off Skyhawk, made a left and instinctively made the walk down Frontier Trail with a mutual understanding of how we planned to end our visit to Cedar Point. Relationship goals? :lol:

We were thrilled to see that queue was still on the ramp so we managed to make it to the station in about 5 minutes. Man... I really don't expect this to last but I'm going to enjoy it until it does.

We could have been on in 10 minutes, but this was our last ride of the weekend and we planned to do it right. The front row line was long, but it was well worth it. Millennium Force is great everywhere but there's something extra awesome about that front row.

IMG_0473.JPG
Don't mind if we do!

There's nothing like cresting that first hill where you feel like you can see forever and then diving down that crazy drop in the front row. The rest of the ride is just as awesome, loaded with relentless speed from the first drop to the brakes. Millennium Force was the perfect way to end our Cedar Point weekend.

IMG_0472.JPG
Such a great ride!

While exiting the park, we ran into Ryan and the gang which was always a nice surprise. They shot a video from that day, you should go check it out. Like, comment, subscribe, all that good stuff. Unfortunately a few hours after we left they had a power outage which is a bit of a bummer but it sounds like they had fun anyway. Apparently some a**hole drove into something that caused the issue. It took us 45 minutes to get to the end of Perimeter Road from the Shores lot because someone drove into a concrete barricade. There was clearly something in the water that day. :lol:

We hated to leave so early but we had a long drive home (it usually takes about 8 hours). Unfortunately for us we also got lost on the way home which happens a lot.

There's a really confusing intersection in eastern Pennsylvania that I always manage to screw up. It's a two lane interstate highway and I think what you're supposed to do is use either of those two lanes to stay on the highway. Unfortunately that sh*t's confusing so I often get "use either lane to stay on the highway and keep going straight like you've been doing for 5 hours" confused with "Get off the highway, go like 3 miles, make a right, go like 10 miles, then make another left at the traffic light and go another 3 miles, then make a right."

You can see how those two things are pretty similar so it's an honest mistake. One day I'll learn how to properly navigate that intersection.

IMG_0475.JPG
Are we still on 80 or did I f*ck it up again?

IMG_0476.JPG
Not only did I get lost but I got a ticket too. Lot's of them actually...

IMG_0478.JPG
Oh well, since we're here I guess we'll make the best of it and get Snickerdoodle cookies from the loaf

As many of you know, one of our favorite summer hangouts is Rehoboth Beach where they have a small, coaster-less park called Funland. Their star attraction (aside from their Haunted Mansion) is probably their Paratrooper which unfortunately had a slow start to the season where it was waiting for parts. Seeing any ride at Funland closed for maintenance (even for like 5 minutes) is shocking, and seeing an extended closure for any ride (especially the Paratrooper) is insane.

We were sort of bummed that we might be looking at the first summer in Rehoboth without the Paratrooper since before I was born so when we came across this one at Knoebels we knew we had to ride it. I'm not a sentimental person, especially with rides but Paratroopers are an exception. I always ride them when I see them. They remind me of summer family vacations growing up. This also gave this an opportunity to take a picture of us riding it and send it to mom who was down in Rehoboth at the time and SUPER jealous. :lol:

IMG_0479.JPG
First Paratrooper ride of the year! Get your sh*t together Funland (spoiler alert: they have since gotten said "sh*t" together).

IMG_0488.JPG
Ready to fly!

Next up was the flume which is always a special treat for us. We normally visit during Phoenix Phall Phunfest so it's rare that we get to ride their log flume. That's a shame because it's really a great flume that's buried back in the woods and features a really cool little tunnel. It also provides you with a pretty reasonable level of wetness unless someone hits you with a water gun.

Having a great time at Knoebels! Don't mind me and my photo grids. I love a good photo grid. :lol:

We had deprived ourselves long enough and we were running short on time (it was a quick pit stop since we still had a few more hours left in our drive) so we opted to get down to business and head over to Phoenix. We're some of those weird people that prefer the back car on this thing (yup, we exist) and as always we were treated to an insane airtime buffet.

In many instances after spending a few days at Cedar Point we catch a bit of burnout when visiting other parks, but that never happens here. We rode Phoenix the same day we rode Steel Vengeance and Millennium Force and Phoenix still blew our f*cking minds. :lol:

IMG_0480.JPG
What a great ride...

Our next stop was going to be the flyers but we noticed that the ride op was being a total buzzkill with snapping riders so we continued on. We took Twister for a spin (which is such an underrated coaster) and then decided to grab some Caesaris, hit the Scooters and head out. That plan changed when we passed Flying Turns though where we had to do a double take...

IMG_0484.JPG
WHAT IS THIS???????

We often end up skipping this ride in a time crunch but with a line like that it was impossible to pass up.

Flying Turns isn't on the same level as Phoenix and Twister and it's really more of a family coaster than anything but it's still an absolute blast to ride. It was hard not to hype this thing up since it was under construction for like 10 years, but once you begin to appreciate it for what it is (a fun family ride that's sort of a living museum of sorts) it's really pretty great. It's also a ride that I like more and more each time I ride it. For whatever reason it seems like that second half keeps getting more and more wild as time goes on, though maybe it's all in my head.

We were running short on time and tickets so we grabbed a slice (and a birch beer) and then made it over to our final stop of the night.

IMG_0489.JPG
She looks sweet and innocent until you put her in a Knoebels bumper car...

The Knoebels bumper cars are so wonderfully brutal that they put all of their counterparts to shame. I honestly couldn't even tell you the last time we wasted our time riding the bumper cars in any other park. These are so good that they've totally ruined all other bumper car rides for us. :lol:

Unfortunately for us when the ride came to a stop it was time to go back to reality and finish our drive home (nicely... so good thing I got all of my road rage out on the Scooters). It was a late night, but it was well worth it. It's not physically possible for me to be that close to Knoebels and not stop. :lol:

Up next: Minnesota!

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:57 am

Good sh*t. I really gotta get to Knoebels.

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby Dombot » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:12 pm

Awesome report as usual. I really need to get to that park someday, I've heard nothing but good things about it.

And Cedar Point looks cool too, I guess. :lol:
1. Intimidator 305 2. Kumba 3. Twisted Timbers 4. Mako 5. Alpengeist

"Sometimes I mistake this for a universe that cares." ~Randall Munroe

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:13 pm

Great report! I too feel the Skooters have ruined most other bumper cars. One of the exceptions is the set at Funtown since they allow head-on collisions. I'm pretty sure you'd draw blood if you tried that at Knoebels. :lol:
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Twisted Colossus, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Lagoon & Lake Compounce Haunted Graveyard

Arrow rox my sox!

Postby zburns999 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:53 pm

The Scooters are my favorite thing at Knoebels (and I love just about everything at Knoebels). As someone who has been involved in two vehicle-totalling car accidents, I'm somewhat certain that neither were able to accurately capture the bone jarring violence of a near head-on collision between a pair of those tanks (err...scooters?). I once rode five consecutive times and had bruises all over my body. It was glorious.

Nice TR, as per usual! A quick question about Skyhawk, as I've never ridden it. Consensus seems to suggest that it's an elite flat ride, even above the level of other Screamin' Swings. To my memory, I've only ever done the one at Kennywood and the Barnstormer at Dollywood. Are they (or any other Screamin' Swings that you've ridden) comparable to Skyhawk? Or is there something about Skyhawk that sets it apart? I only ask because the line for Skyhawk is always depressingly long, and I'd rather not wait if it's going to be the same thing as something I've ridden already, except with a shorter cycle.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!