Coasterbill's Alcohol, Coaster and Culture Trip Reports Land

Phoenix Phall Phunfest 2017 Day One Posted
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Coasterbill's Alcohol, Coaster and Culture Trip Reports

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:38 pm

Great stories, especially Log Jammer and American Eagle. Glad you liked the double-down; the other flume, Yankee Clipper, is a single drop, but it does have cool New England fishing boats rather than logs. American Eagle is way the hell out there, but totally worth the walk when it's racing. I love too, that Six Flags thinks, "We could fix Viper, or we could just market how bad it is" and of course they went with the latter. :lol:
Top Wood: 1. The Outlaw Run 2. The Phoenix 3. The El Toro 4. The Voyage 5. The Beast
Top Steel: 1. The Millennium Force 2. The Skyrush 3. The Magnum XL-200 4. The Diamondback 5. The Maverick
Top Parks: 1. The Disneyland 2. The Dollywood 3. The Silver Dollar City 4. The Knoebels 5. The Holiday World

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby anonymouscactus » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:48 pm

Some quick thoughts:

- I think Goliath is my favorite RMC so far thanks to those elements you so eloquently described better than I ever could (granted my lightning rod ride doesn't count because it was all a wtfjusthappenedblur and I never really fully got to take it all in) ... ahead of wicked cyclone and storm chaser (while a cool ride and should be amazing in theory, it was just too uncomfortable for my body type towards the end)

- lol at the American Eagle queue adventure! Legendary!

- Sucks that viper sucked. I liked it a LOT (forwards) --- I'll give it a shot in October if it's still running backwards and report back.

- Raging Bull is a GREAT ride and I'm glad you're not a RagingBill about it. (See what I did there? I'm sorry.)

- Fantastic report and great writing as usual. Keep it up man, I love these reports so much.

It's such a great park and I'm excited to go back on a Friday Night in October. With the limited time, I might forgo the haunts and just ride Goliath as much as I can 8) (Amanda might actually let us skip the haunts for once because: a. She will finally see what a six flags fright fest is like when we go to California -- b. She has told me several times Goliath is the best ride she had ever been on so she will want reride after reride ---- but they have such a great selection of other rides I need to ride, too. First world problems.

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby Ed Farmer » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:14 pm

Great report, and nice to see another Raging Bull fan. It's probably my favorite first drop on a steel coaster, and when you throw in the unique layout- it's a winner. SFGAm really is a solid park. It's my home park, so there is something to be said about familiarity dampening the experience to an extent- but I really do appreciate what we've got going on here. It's as well rounded a Six Flags park as Georgia's.
"Next, we are going to solicit the children of strangers so that we can go on a ride designed for children. This is so I can post online and impress other people who are very good at procuring unfamiliar children in order to go on rides designed for children, and thus have a higher arbitrary number than me."

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:14 pm

Great second half to the report! I thought Viper was overrated going forwards but at least it was smooth.

I also agree that American Eagle queue is cruel and unusual punishment. I had no idea that was coming.
Top 5 Wood- Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Balder, El Toro
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Shambhala
Top 5 Parks- Europa Park, Cedar Point, Disneyland, Phantasialand, Knoebels

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby scooterdoug » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:05 pm

Absolutely brilliant trip report. At this point, I'll read any TR you write. Keep 'em coming!
Aikido: Why fight when you can flow?

Postby Philrad71 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:52 am

Sounds like perhaps SFGAm may have possibly made some strides to improving customer service and overall operations within the past couple of years?

I know that a lot of parks can be hit or miss in those departments depending on weather (in particular, oppressive heat), large crowds and employees having to deal with almost non-stop idiocracy, which can then cause a negative experience for the rule abiding, polite guests. I haven't read of quite as many people complaining about this park or SFOT as much this year (other than food lines and lines at rope drop), so maybe (hopefully) they took those negative complaints and worked on addressing them.

Great report on yet another park that has been on my radar for a while. They do have a great looking line-up of coasters and rides and I would like to make it out there one day - hopefully when they get Viper running properly again. ;)

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby coneyislandchris » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:39 pm

Sounded like you had a really comparable time to my first visit to Great America, Bill, right to the random downpour out of nowhere in the middle of the day. Only thing was, in my case, the rain happened right as we were walking to American Eagle. "Oh, it'll be fine," I told my kiddo, "we'll be in the station momentarily."

How f*cking wrong I was. :lol:

I'm still amazed that you had such a different opinion of Viper Backwards. We ended up riding it twice, once in the front/back row, and once in the back/front row (okay, well, second from the back/front, because they had the actual front row of the train roped off due to broken seat restraints). And my kid's usually pretty critical of any ride that beats him up. Last year's visit to Cedar Point, his roller coaster adventure ended early after a particularly rough ride on Mean Streak where he didn't want to ride any more roller coasters for the rest of the day, and this year at Cedar Point he ended up being one and done on Corkscrew, immediately swearing it off with a vehement "I'm never going to ever, never, never EVER ride that Corkscrew EEEEEVER AGAIN!". And yet he came back for seconds on Viper. Personally, I thought it was fine, not great nor terrible, I just thought it was interesting to go through the familiar Cyclone layout backwards for once (okay, twice in this case).

It's crazy how much Goliath gets crapped upon by enthusiasts for its length. Would I like it to be a bit longer? Yeah, sure, who wouldn't? But as far as what was built and what we got, it's still a stupid amount of fun. That zero-G stall is absolutely amazing and unlike anything else I've ever experienced. If Six Flags ever cloned a RMC I wouldn't mind seeing one of those down the turnpike at Great Adventure, haters be damned.

Oh yeah, and Whizzer is awesome. I can't believe they were actually legitimately considering tearing it down.
That coaster dad [272] and that coaster kiddo [152]. Road trip buddies for life.
Dad's faves: Fury 325. Phantom's Revenge. Intimidator 305. El Toro. Skyrush.

Kiddo's faves: Lightning Rod. Goliath (SFGAm). Wicked Cyclone. Millennium Force. Gale Force.

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby Geauga Dog » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:58 pm

I just devoured both parts of your SFGAm report and absolutely loved it. Haven't been since 2012 when X Flight was new so now your report has me thinking about possibly making it there next year. Despite having Steel Vengeance close to home I need to check out Goliath.

Personally I think X Flight is better than Gatekeeper. For some reason the coaster's smaller, more compact layout seems to have a better flow to it than drawn out elements on GK (though I do like GK's turnaround after the keyholes).

I don't know why I was surprised but I was happy that you loved Raging Bull. I don't understand the hate for it either. It's still my number one steel even though there have been a few coasters that almost dethroned it. After a long day at the park I would marathon that ride for the last hour or so before park closing.

Was Dark Knight running without brakes? I remember the first time I rode it I couldn't believe how wicked that ride was as it wasn't heavily braked at all like most mouse coasters I've been on.

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby Satans Hockey » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:26 pm

Great reports as always, I've never really paid any attention to Great America just because I haven't had the time to get out that way for a trip but reading that you think Raging Bull is way better than Nitro has me really curious and wanting to plan a trip now just because I love Nitro so damn much. I've also loved every B&M hyper that I've ever been on though so maybe I'm just not that picky lol

There is no such thing as a donkey punch.

Postby mush619 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:38 am

I've been meaning to comment for a while, but time always seems to get away from me. Your reports are fantastic! I've enjoyed every one of them. Thanks for taking the time to put them together.

I'm also glad to hear you enjoyed Great America. It's my home park and I love it most of the time. I've always thought Raging Bull is usually underrated by most. The pre-drop makes the first drop spectacular in the back row, and it's my favorite drop in the park. Your experience on the log flume was quite entertaining.

Again, thanks for sharing your stories!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!