Coasterbill's Alcohol, Coaster and Culture Trip Reports Land

Six Flags Great Adventure & the Hotel Responsible for Snooki
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Coasterbill's Alcohol, Coaster and Culture Trip Reports

Postby Hilltopper39 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:20 pm

$22 for Dine with Shamu? Dang, they must be hurting worse that I thought, great that you got to experience it though.

It seems like I've read nothing but mixed reviews for Mako since the day it opened, good, bad, lots of air, not enough air, floater, ejector, trims killed it, loved it, hated it, guess I'l just have to check it out myself someday.

Postby coasterbill » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:28 pm

michaellynn4 wrote:As always, Bill, your updates never cease to be less than amazing. Glad you had fun!

It's interesting how much of a dichotomy there is between "Brit-type" whale people, and "my sister-type" whale people (*cough* Blackfish *cough*). I think it's a more divisive, caustic subject matter than most stuff in politics today. I can't even broach the subject with her, so I've learned to let sleeping dogs lie.

:lol: Yeah, Brit has pretty much less than zero tolerance for those people. I'm completely with her (though I appreciate that those people generally have good intentions), they're shooting themselves in the foot by making Sea World out to be the problem.

I could write an essay on this and I really don't have the energy (I also realize that I'm preaching to the choir anyway), but Blackfish is full of non peer-reviewed research and activists pretending to be whale experts with no credentials of any kind. SeaWorld put out a ton of information that refutes basically everything in the film. While obviously SeaWorld is a biased source on this, they cite sources (something Blackfish does not do) and the sources themselves are unbiased and peer reviewed.

We're big supporters of SeaWorld and accredited zoos and aquariums, now more than ever. They're pretty much the most powerful force for conservation we've got. Are they perfect? No. They probably shouldn't have captured wild orcas but they haven't done that in over 35 years. I highly doubt that a single person who was involved with that still works for SeaWorld. Earlier this year, SeaWorld hit a milestone of 30,000 animal rescues over the last 50 years (more than one per day on average for 5 decades). Almost all of these animals were rehabilitated and released into the wild. Those deemed non releasable were given a forever home at SeaWorld (the Turtle Trek attraction is a great example of this, most of those animals are missing fins and clearly would never be able to survive in the wild).

So yeah, we don't really understand why there's such a backlash against an organization that's saved over 30,000 animals over the last 50 years... especially from PETA who euthanized 2,454 animals in 2014 alone while SeaWorld was out saving them. There are plenty of species that exist today that wouldn't without the efforts of SeaWorld and other accredited zoos and aquariums.

It's easy to watch Blackfish and hate SeaWorld until you realize that most of their claims are complete bullsh*t that blindly ignore peer reviewed research and (in most cases) reality in general.

Hilltopper39 wrote:$22 for Dine with Shamu? Dang, they must be hurting worse that I thought, great that you got to experience it though.

It seems like I've read nothing but mixed reviews for Mako since the day it opened, good, bad, lots of air, not enough air, floater, ejector, trims killed it, loved it, hated it, guess I'l just have to check it out myself someday.

I think it's $29 without the passholder discount, but I still consider that a great deal.

As for Mako, I think it's probably a middle-of-the-road B&M hyper with one surprising hill and a better than average first drop. A middle-of-the-road B&M hyper is still a super fun ride though. We loved it!

Postby jynx242 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:57 pm

I'm enjoying the hell out of your report as always.

I am a fan of the Pacific Point Preserve as well. I can easily spend the majority of a day there just watching the Sea Lions - as long as I get a fix of Manta and Maco ;)
[url=http://www.clubtpr.com]Image

Postby viking86 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:57 pm

Manta is an awesome coaster! That pretzel loop in the backseat is a proper "Oh F*ck" moment! The pull force as you're being pulled down the first half loop is just crazy!

The Dine with Shamu experience looks amazing, and it doesn't matter if you pay $22 or $29, it's still an absolute steal. I never even thought about checking the price of this, as I just assumed it would be on the expensive side. That was definitely a mistake!

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby coneyislandchris » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:02 pm

Lost it at the sloth description. :lmao: :lol: :lmao:
That coaster dad [227] and that coaster kiddo [99].
Dad's faves: Fury 325 / Intimidator 305 / El Toro / Phantom's Revenge / Skyrush.
Kiddo's faves: Wicked Cyclone / Gale Force / The Joker / Boulder Dash / Phoenix.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby anonymouscactus » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:46 pm

Great report as always!

Lmao at the sloth comment. Oh, and love Britt's shirt. You know I used to work for SeaWorld and never really knew anything about the food/beer situation at Dine w/ Shamu. That really is a steal.

Still haven't been on Mako but it looks really fun. I agree with everything you say about Manta. Love that thing.

Curious if you guys have ever considered doing Discovery Cove? I've been there 4 times, bringing different people each time, and everyone has always loved it and found it well worth the money. It's awesome even if you don't want to fork over the money for the Dolphin Swim (i know you're not waterpark people, but seriously swimming with the giant ray's alone is worth it and completely AWESOME... plus unlimited food and alcoholic drinks! It's a resort, not a waterpark, and there is a ton to see; more than just the dolphins).

I just looked it up and pricing it is structured a bit different than it used to be (it looks like it's now $25 more to add Busch gardens and parking for SeaWorld/Aquatica/Busch) but it also looks like they have a drink upgrade package too if you want Sangria and other fancier stuff than standard beer, etc.)) but you get admission to SeaWorld / Busch Gardens / Aquatica included plus the food is above average.

This ain't no SeaWorld ray petting!

And a video I made 5 years ago... which doesn't even touch upon the aviary or the river...
https://youtu.be/7H-3ikaGgZs

Worth the price especially during slow season. I recommend it, let me know if you have any questions. Not trying to sound like an advertisement, I just think it's a hidden gem of Orlando that nobody knows about.

Keep up the great reports!
Last edited by anonymouscactus on Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:08 pm.

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby Afterburner » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:01 pm

"I'm a motherf*kin T Rex!!!!! (that seems like a nice tasteful caption... seriously, what's that from? Did I just make it up?)"

Nostalgia Critic review of Jurassic Park.

Hilarious TRs as always, Bill.

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:52 pm

Great report! SeaWorld looks awesome. But then, I don't think I've ever seen a SeaWorld report that didn't make it look awesome. I've pretty much decided to make SeaWorld my next destination park (will be the San Antonio one since that's closest to me), and your report is totally cementing that decision. The Dine with Shamu thing looks awesome, and $22 at a theme park is nothing. Especially when beer is included.
Top Wood: 1. Outlaw Run 2. Phoenix 3. El Toro 4. Voyage 5. The Beast
Top Steel: 1. Millennium Force 2. Skyrush 3. Magnum XL-200 4. Diamondback 5. Maverick
Top Parks: 1. Disneyland 2. Dollywood 3. Silver Dollar City 4. Knoebels 5. Holiday World

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:27 pm

Fantastic report! I need to visit SeaWorld Orlando at some point. It's the only SeaWorld I haven't been too. The Mouse always seems to hold me hostage when I'm down in Orlando.

It's definitely noted that I'll try the Dine with Shamu when I'm there. I'm sorry, no matter how good chicken nuggets are, I can't pass up prime rib.
Top 5 Wood- Phoenix, Boulder Dash, El Toro, Voyage, Cornball Express
Top 5 Steel- Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, New Texas Giant, Millennium Force
Top 5 Parks- Disneyland, Knoebels, Cedar Point, Magic Kingdom, Busch Gardens Williamsburg

I Love Donkeys!

Postby Jameslofton » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:56 pm

The TR's in this thread are verging on a work of art. Since I've only been to a few parks(plan on upping that number dramatically the next few years), I mainly lurk just to read posts about how all these parks are and the TRs are informative and amazing. Bill quickly became my favorite TPR member but I also love reading posts/TRs from Boldikus, Nrthwind and his gang's CP trip was a blast to read, the woman whose home park used to be SFDK(forgot your name), and last but certainly NOT least, prozach and his wife's adventures are great reading. Quite a few others but not digging through the threads to refresh my memory ATM.

If you guys plan on some huge meetup next year for CP's Mean Streak, I'd like to be involved. MOst of TPR's members seem normal and I'm sure we'd have a blast. A couple people(prozach) have mentioned how nutty some of the basement dwelling enthusiasts are at coaster events and those types I'd like to avoid like the plague.

I wrote a TR for my visit to SFDK on July 19th where I took my mom and dysfunctional family. Kept editing certain things from it as I didn't want it to come across too bat guano lunacy but unfortunately it didn't go through for some reason. Oh well. I'm going to Santa Cruz Boardwalk in three weeks and since so few seem to post in that thread, I'll do a TR for that trip(minus the dysfunction, thank god).

THis really is an amazing community.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!