Photo TR: Coastin' In The Deep South

Southern Slowdown at Six Flags Over Georgia
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
My other car is a carnival ride

Re: Photo TR: Coastin' In The Deep South

Postby strz » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:05 pm

So bottom line- how does this park compare to SFGA? (I've never been to SFG)......looks good/sounds good, however- doesn't sound like there is one major "standout" when it comes to thrill rides, correct?

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:40 pm

^ I was trying not to compare the park to ours too much but I did touch on that a little bit in the final paragraph of the 2nd half of the report.

In terms on line-up, they have nothing that comes even close to anything we have. Goliath is shorter than Nitro and not as tall, and that's the biggest thing they have. I can't imagine Great Adv without El Toro and Ka, not to mention Zum. While I am totally envious of Mindbender since we have nothing like a classic, terrain-hugging, looping (with just lapbars) Schwarzkopf, their supporting cast is pretty meh when compared to ours. Batman is great regardless of where you put it, Dare Devil Dive was just OK, and Superman was great, so much better than ours. They could really use a good woodie and with two older ones they have, I wouldn't be surprised if they were the next park in the chain to get an RMC. Please let it be Cyclone, I'd hate to see GASM get all torn up. It's not amazing but its just a great classic out-and-back woodie. Their mine train is comparable to ours, which I love. But yeah overall we have more of a world class line-up, I couldn't say that about SFOG.

On the flip, outside of rides - I always thought Great Adv was pretty nice (contrary to what a lot of people say on here) but SFOG has the niceness on lockdown. The pictures do a good job of showing that, there really isnt too many areas where you aren't covered by a tree, awning, canvas, something, anything. And the trees are generally huge and cover so much of the park. I'd imagine it gets ridiculously hot on mid summer days so it makes sense. But I wasn't necessarily going just for the thrills, I was going to be in the area and I'd heard the park was nice. Made sense to stop by.

My other car is a carnival ride

Postby strz » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:52 pm

boldikus wrote:^ I was trying not to compare the park to ours too much but I did touch on that a little bit in the final paragraph of the 2nd half of the report.

In terms on line-up, they have nothing that comes even close to anything we have. Goliath is shorter than Nitro and not as tall, and that's the biggest thing they have. I can't imagine Great Adv without El Toro and Ka, not to mention Zum. While I am totally envious of Mindbender since we have nothing like a classic, terrain-hugging, looping (with just lapbars) Schwarzkopf, their supporting cast is pretty meh when compared to ours. Batman is great regardless of where you put it, Dare Devil Dive was just OK, and Superman was great, so much better than ours. They could really use a good woodie and with two older ones they have, I wouldn't be surprised if they were the next park in the chain to get an RMC. Please let it be Cyclone, I'd hate to see GASM get all torn up. It's not amazing but its just a great classic out-and-back woodie. Their mine train is comparable to ours, which I love. But yeah overall we have more of a world class line-up, I couldn't say that about SFOG.

On the flip, outside of rides - I always thought Great Adv was pretty nice (contrary to what a lot of people say on here) but SFOG has the niceness on lockdown. The pictures do a good job of showing that, there really isnt too many areas where you aren't covered by a tree, awning, canvas, something, anything. And the trees are generally huge and cover so much of the park. I'd imagine it gets ridiculously hot on mid summer days so it makes sense. But I wasn't necessarily going just for the thrills, I was going to be in the area and I'd heard the park was nice. Made sense to stop by.

I appreciate the comments/summary.....and wasn't looking to turn this into a SFGA vs. SFG discussion board! Instead- just curious of your POV....and got it! Thanks!

Postby boldikus » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:57 pm

Its understandable - I was definitely making comparisons in my head while I was there. Its hard not to when your home park is one of the best Six Flags parks and you're in another one. I just didn't want to sound like I was bashing the park because I thought - well, I knew - that their lineup is inferior to ours. Doesn't mean I hated it or didn't enjoy myself. If anything, it yet again reinforced that we have a world class line-up and are generally spoiled brats when it comes to coasters. :lmao:

Fluffy, Fluffy, Donkeys Filled With Medicine and Goo!

Postby TBpony414 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:36 pm

Nice TR! I had no idea SFOG was so beautiful and had so many trees. Reminds me a little bit of BGW which indeed is gorgeous but in a different way, more with flowers and such. Enjoyed all the details and pics you included.

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby medoman » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:50 pm

This was a really fun day at the park, good write up too! It was a pleasure meeting you.

My trip continues and I'm currently in a hotel 20 mins from SFGAdv, got up to 3 days of the park to enjoy. Since SFOG, this trip has taken me to Carowinds, Silver Dollar City, Sea World San ANtonio, SFFT and SFOT. Still to come are Hershey, Kenobles, Maybe Dorney, and SFNE! Oh, and probably Luna park too If I can figure out how to get there from LGA after dropping off the car!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:59 pm

The long anticipated Boldikus Georgia trip report is finally here and it didn't disappoint. This park is definitely on my bucket list and it sounds like it really is a great place. Glad you had fun!

My only suggestion for your next trip report would be more skyway pictures and a little less non-skyway pictures. Lol jk

Postby boldikus » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:39 pm

^ :lmao: :lol: :lmao: :lol:

medoman wrote:This was a really fun day at the park, good write up too! It was a pleasure meeting you.

My trip continues and I'm currently in a hotel 20 mins from SFGAdv, got up to 3 days of the park to enjoy. Since SFOG, this trip has taken me to Carowinds, Silver Dollar City, Sea World San ANtonio, SFFT and SFOT. Still to come are Hershey, Kenobles, Maybe Dorney, and SFNE! Oh, and probably Luna park too If I can figure out how to get there from LGA after dropping off the car!

You're a wild man! Been loving your FB updates. Was also great to meet you too, and great having another geek to spend most of the the day with. And THANKS FOR YOUR PHOTOS. This report would be half of what it is without them!

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Password121 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:52 pm

Awesome TR, once again. I feel like at this point, between this, Dorney and Cedar Point/Kennywood reports, I plan trips based on your reviews and opinions, lol. I love how you break up blocks of text/stories/opinions between pictures. Makes it a lot easier to read and just more interesting.
Looks like a nice park with a decent collection. Well done!
2017 Millennium Force Ride Host
2018 Millennium Force Team Leader

Postby boldikus » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:20 am

^ LOL Thanks! That was actually the first time I'd done that with the text and photos, I hadn't figured out how to do that til recently. All my other reports are a giant block of text, then all the photos. Unfortunately I flubbed it and its not totally in order but at least I know what I'm doing for the next one. I agree it makes it much easier to read - I was inspired to do that by a few other posters' reports.

Again, thanks for reading and all the comments, everyone. :)

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!