TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What's the lamest first drop you have been on?

Dare Devil Dive at Six Flags Over Georgia is a solid coaster and butter smooth, but the hold brake that is supposed to make the drop more intimidating actually makes the 95 degree drop feel like nothing special at all. I wish they could just turn that hold brake off for good.

Concur with the bolded, and I think it sums up Eurofighters in general.

The ones that do not have the hold brake pack some real punch in my opinion. I find Dare Devil Dive to be probably the most enjoyable Eurofighter because it is smooth, lap bars only, and just a fun ride. If that drop wasn't held back it would have great airtime instead of just an ok mix of hang time and slight airtime.

On the flipside, even though it has a holding brake, I find Mystery Mine's 95* drop to be the highlight of the ride (besides the theming).

I'm not sure how the shaping of the top of the hill and the drop compare to each other, but Mystery Mine does have a great drop and it feels like the entire holding brake is before the majority of the drop, whereas on DDD it feels like the holding brake hangs onto the train much further. Maybe it is just an illusion because Mystery Mine's brake actually stops you and DDD's brake never fully stops the train. No idea, but I agree it doesn't harm the drop on Mystery Mine nearly as much.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

I'd say Adventure Express all the way honestly it doesnt seem to have drops at all! Its mostly just very flat twisted track. That coaster is boring in general! I haven't been to Mall of America since i was like 10 but I remember that Pepsi coaster have a boring drop and was boring in general,even for a 10 year old.

But as far a thrill coaster goes Id have to go with Kumba. I seen it mentioned a few times already though. Im just not a fan of the flat curved drops. Rather bland yet people were screaming their heads off on that drop! I was like wtf? I felt nothing...however the rest is pretty awesome. Nice and intense inversions. Also super steep curved drops are at least a lot of fun though.

Buzz Saw Falls. After a flume section that was just a couple of switchbacks like the boat was queueing for the ride, you dropped into a 3/4 helix and then hit a lift hill. It was the worst idea Silver Dollar City ever had. Fortunately, they realized their mistake and 5 years later, turned it into something awesome.

For those who haven't been on it, watch this video from 1:26 to 2:07. That's the entire coaster portion of Buzz Saw Falls.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

The drop that actually stands out most to me is on Dorney's shoot the shoot. Despite being taller than most models, the skids felt like they were really holding the boat back.

Both of the Ride of Steel clones have terrible Drops. They are not very steep and therefore reduce some of the possible speed the ride could have.

I've only been on the Darien one, but I thought it had a really good first drop. Strong airtime and very steep.

Dare Devil Dive at Six Flags Over Georgia is a solid coaster and butter smooth, but the hold brake that is supposed to make the drop more intimidating actually makes the 95 degree drop feel like nothing special at all. I wish they could just turn that hold brake off for good.

Concur with the bolded, and I think it sums up Eurofighters in general.

The ones that do not have the hold brake pack some real punch in my opinion. I find Dare Devil Dive to be probably the most enjoyable Eurofighter because it is smooth, lap bars only, and just a fun ride. If that drop wasn't held back it would have great airtime instead of just an ok mix of hang time and slight airtime.

On the flipside, even though it has a holding brake, I find Mystery Mine's 95* drop to be the highlight of the ride (besides the theming).

I'm not sure how the shaping of the top of the hill and the drop compare to each other, but Mystery Mine does have a great drop and it feels like the entire holding brake is before the majority of the drop, whereas on DDD it feels like the holding brake hangs onto the train much further. Maybe it is just an illusion because Mystery Mine's brake actually stops you and DDD's brake never fully stops the train. No idea, but I agree it doesn't harm the drop on Mystery Mine nearly as much.

There isn't an image of how far down the drop the Mystery Mine one holds the train, but from how it felt riding, the brake stops before the train reaches the vertical portion of the drop. On Dare Devil Dive, I felt the brake holding the train until it was vertical which took away that huge jolt of airtime the other EuroFighters or beyond vertical drops have provided.

I'll add Titan at SFOT to my list of "lamest first drops." Sure the drop is tall, but it has such a shallow angle, that it's very underwhelming, and forgettable. Pretty sure most modern coaster's lift hills are steeper than Titan's drop... and It sucks even more given the fact that you now crest the hill at a snails pace. Seriously, the train slows down so much at the top of the lift I always think we are getting e-stopped.

I'll add Titan at SFOT to my list of "lamest first drops." Sure the drop is tall, but it has such a shallow angle, that it's very underwhelming, and forgettable. Pretty sure most modern coaster's lift hills are steeper than Titan's drop... and It sucks even more given the fact that you now crest the hill at a snails pace. Seriously, the train slows down so much at the top of the lift I always think we are getting e-stopped.

Titan looks pretty similar to SFMM's Goliath so that's disappointing to hear. While the first drop isn't as epic as it looks on Goliath, it still gives some air and does last a while. It's the second half of that ride that I have an issue with.

Some that come to mind for me would be (as many others have mentioned already) - Mean streak. Given that it looks fairly imposing, one would expect a whole lot more from not only the drop, but the whole ride. Also I-305 back when it had that stupid trim right at the edge of the first drop. I realize there was a reason for it to be there, but still, it pretty much killed the experience for me and I was quite happy when I returned the following year and it was gone. Then there was Psychlone at SFMM - thankfully long ago demolished. Its first drop was essentially a smaller version of Mean Streak's (abnormally slow and rough), and the drop (and the entire ride!) was not unlike riding a ten-speed bike along a gravel road loaded with craters and potholes. I could have swore the train had ran over something....on the drop and in many other places.

Now the first drop on Goliath at SFMM in my mind is middling...far from the worst, but also no where near the best drop. However, I can recall riding it on some warm nights where said drop was "enhanced" (if you can call it that ) by the scent of a skunk in the tunnel! I suppose one could say that lent something to the experience, though obviously not positive (unless you like skunk odor). If you think Goliath's drop stinks, it would have even more so with skunk aroma in the tunnel.

As for Great Bear, I agree that it is surely not the most exciting B&M drop out there, but, it is unique. I do kind of like the way it meanders a bit and builds up some speed for when the drop steepens. In many ways it does exactly the opposite of its neighbor Skyrush. Instead of whipping riders over the crest and down a steep hill with breathtaking speed, it gradually slopes and builds up speed to a fun but not ferocious plunge. Skyrush is still my #1 overall, but I do like GB a lot and find it to be very enjoyable and re-rideable, weird drop and all.

• 5 months later...
I'll throw Kumba in as having a lame first drop considering how awesome the rest of the ride is. It's definatly different but I never was a fan of the long relativley falt curving drop, doesn't have any airtime and really doesn't feel like it gets moving until after your through the first loop, but after that it's a top 10 ride.

I've joined up now just to agree with you! It's amazing how I rode it over ten years ago and I still remember just how forceless and dull it was. I actually muttered "that sucks" during the first drop!