TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

New Roller Coaster Type from RMC Rocky Mountain Construction

Hey everyone!

Here's some exciting news! Rocky Mountain has just sent us some renderings of a totally new roller coaster type they are producing. Here is what they told me about this prototype:

Robb, here are some photos and new renderings of our new TRex track for you to share with your group. This is essentially a monorail type coaster, all steel.

We have just produced the one piece of red track in the photos so far. We have a lot of interest in this coaster track system, so there will be coasters built in the near future utilizing this track and cars. Just can't say where or when... You know the drill

Come visit us at IAAPA this year, we'll have some the renderings to show and we can chat more about this new ride system!

I don't know about you, but this looks AWESOME!!! I love how innovative this company is being! Totally turning the industry on it's side!

12026566_909291609107960_1902373371_n.jpg.bf11ff586e7a96f3028c92beb8ae4834.jpg

12032418_909291612441293_1931293746_n.jpg.14dfec292955a8fd95ec1ed7c06ab97d.jpg

12032576_909291602441294_827082036_n.jpg.4c3203e384ff048410f721f0a524b4f7.jpg

12047551_909291605774627_848101257_n.jpg.62e5405e54afb7e5611cac3d6e7034a4.jpg

RMC_train_render_1_HDR-Toning.thumb.jpg.daa67c19f980811bb725dca0f59f8c59.jpg

RMC_train_render_2_HDR-Toning.thumb.jpg.cc39ce51941f83532b01523cd3dc083b.jpg

Edited by jedimaster1227

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting concept. Color me impressed when it can actually do something new that can't be done with the current 2-rail style. Those trains could use some work though, not the biggest fan of RMC's aesthetics. They remind me of Giovanola's hyper coaster trains.

Regardless of all that, they still have kick ass coasters. If they start building steel coasters from the ground up, Intamin may find their match.

That looks great! I can't wait to see what they can do with an all-steel roller coaster!

I wonder if it will be able to twist more than the current track can in a short distance (I believe that the current track can twist 3 degrees every foot, or something close to that).

Oh yes, I've been waiting for this thread to pop up here for a while!

The car renderings look really cool, I would love to see how the concept would actually look in real life. RMC is doing big things, and I think ground-up steel coasters from them are imminent. I don't think they'll use the wooden coaster-style lattice supports either, the span between supports on the prototype was large enough to warrant a whole new support scheme

It just keeps getting better and better. RMC has really made up for the Intamin void in the US. Alan knows exactly what the people want in every coaster, and that's why not one design has been "just meh" yet.

I'm guessing that steel supports will hold this up rather than a hybrid structure. That track is massive. Can somebody confirm this, or is it still unknown?

It just keeps getting better and better. RMC has really made up for the Intamin void in the US. Alan knows exactly what the people want in every coaster, and that's why not one design has been "just meh" yet.

I'm guessing that steel supports will hold this up rather than a hybrid structure. That track is massive. Can somebody confirm this, or is it still unknown?

Massive massive track, but with pretty large spans between supports. AFAIK, steel style supports, not a wooden structure. With the goal being the track like a massive "ribbon" in the air instead of a traditional coaster look.

The track is ugly as sin, but I felt the same way about the I-Box when NTG came out...a few years later with rides on WC under my belt, I now LOVE the I-Box track

Until we see what can be done with it, I won't get too excited. In the back of my mind, though, I feel they are using this track to eventually enter the hyper/giga market.

Before new track design, they do need to work on their train issues. I know WC has been very tempermental with the trains badly vibrating and riding slugishly on some days. I hear TC has had similar issues. Especially with new trains riding on steel I-Box track, it is an area they need to brush up on.

Before new track design, they do need to work on their train issues. I know WC has been very tempermental with the trains badly vibrating and riding slugishly on some days. I hear TC has had similar issues. Especially with new trains riding on steel I-Box track, it is an area they need to brush up on.

The trains will improve. Remember that the trains are still in the first generation, and improvements will most likely be made with every new set.

This looks interesting. I wonder what the benefit and application of a monorail system is? I wonder what will be different in terms of design limits vs. Normal track, or if this is just a different shape for the same function?

That's what it looks like to me.

Basically a solid steel track without the cross ties.

It looks like something Six Flags commissioned in a desperate attempt to find more surfaces to sell ads on.

In all seriousness, I like it. Been wondering for a couple years when someone would introduce a monocoque track design.

I wonder what this means for track damage and maintanence too. Something not many enthusiasts consider is that the tracks do rust, even with proper car, and small segments are repaired as needed. With traditional track, you simply cut out the bad section, then replace it with a good section, and repatch the cross tie to a slightly different position.

If you look up close to older B&M track, you'll see places where it looks like someone took a bite out of a cross tie, and spot welded a new one a few inches down. This is simply part of the life of the track.

Seems like it would be much harder to do on this type of track, since it's all one solid piece. I wonder how they've accounted for longevity on this design.