TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

New Roller Coaster Type from RMC Rocky Mountain Construction

^ Given the recent announcements, I don't think the fabrication projects count among those 7 projects that were mentioned. These are 7 stone cold RMC projects, meaning there is one more left to be announced!

Another Raptor clone? A ground up coaster? World's first T-Rex?

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
I wonder who is getting the 7th RMC

I think everything is accounted for now

3 iron horses

2 raptors

1 free spin

1 skywarp

Now that I think about it, you're right. But the fact that RMC can handle this many projects in a year and a half really gets me excited for 2019/2020.

The Skywarp is from Skyline Attractions, not RMC. I couldn't find any information on RMC manufacturing track for Skyline, either, like they do for S&S Free Spins.

Skyline said at IAAPA that RMC was manufacturing the track for them. Not sure if things have changed since then though

• 4 months later...

http://www.cdapress.com/local_news/20180123/best_grandpa_ever

EP-180129929.jpg.741599f86246e27514896e636e357881.jpg

By BRIAN WALKER - Staff Writer

Fred Grubb’s granddaughters are headed for the ride of their lives — in Grubb’s front yard. Grubb, who owns the Rocky Mountain roller-coaster manufacturing firm in Hayden, plans to construct a personal coaster this summer that’s 100 feet tall at its tallest point, will move as fast as 52 mph and has a 90-degree dive next to his home just south of Silverwood Theme Park.

"It’s eccentric, but I want to build it for my grandkids and I wouldn’t be in the business if my team and myself weren’t a little eccentric," Grubb said, adding that he has granddaughters who are 10, 7 and 6. "This has always been in the back of my mind, and my grandkids are tall enough to ride a coaster now. It’s like building a big swimming pool, except I’m in the roller coaster business."

The "Raptor" coaster, which will have four seats, will be built just off Old Highway 95 west of U.S. 95. Grubb declined to say how much the coaster will cost to build. The coaster is 1,800 feet long and the ride time is 66 seconds.

The family declined to release the names of the girls for security reasons, but the eldest said, "My sisters and I are so excited to have an actual roller coaster to ride at our papa’s house. We are so lucky to have a papa who wants to do this for us. We cannot wait for our friends to ride it with us."

Grubb said it’s doubtful the coaster will be seen from U.S. 95. He said it won’t be loud and it will be painted to blend in with the environment. Grubb owns the 14 acres to the north of the property and 10 acres to the south, so there are no neighbors in the immediate vicinity. "I don’t want it to be intrusive," he said. "I want it to look nice. It will be a form of art."

David Callahan, Kootenai County’s community development director, said there’s nothing in the county’s code that prevents Grubb from moving ahead as long as it’s for private, not commercial, use.

However, Callahan said he wanted to give county commissioners a heads up Monday on the project since it’s "unusual." "This has got to be one for the record books, but there is nothing in the county books that says, ’no,’" Callahan said. "He’s probably one tenth of 1 percent of the population who can afford to do something like this."

Rocky Mountain has built roller coasters for theme parks around the world, including Silverwood’s "Tremors," "Timber Terror," and "Aftershock."

Commissioner Marc Eberlein called the project "fascinating." When Callahan revealed a rendering of the coaster to commissioners, the board was in awe. "It’s a pretty significant deal," Callahan said. Commissioner Bob Bingham quickly replied: "I’ll say."

Callahan said Grubb has signed an affidavit recorded in the county land records that states the coaster will not be used commercially on his property.

Grubb said the roller coaster may be on his property several years, but he may sell it in the future.

It will be built on Rocky Mountain’s newly developed concept of a single track, unlike double tracks of other coasters, and riders will ride as if they are on a motorcycle or horse. "We can build these about 45 percent less than comparable mega coasters and we can do sharper corners," he said, adding that the coaster will be built to industry safety standards. Grubb said the coaster will take just six to seven weeks to construct.

AR-180129929.jpg.7bf0a6ae603909edca821671c37cdde7.jpg

Fred Grubb is building a Raptor in his LITERAL backyard... Woah

Edited by jedimaster1227

I hope he's planning on fencing it in to keep creepfest enthusiasts unexpectedly popping around for what will be one of the most elusive credits ever.

Honestly, it sounds like a standard Raptor layout (1,800 feet long, 52 mph, 90-deg drop), so I don't think creepy enthusiasts will be missing too much.

I hope he has some kind of very small event for a select few coaster enthusiasts to ride this. Not at all because I would want to intrude on his residence and ride, but because I would want to later read all of the deodorantless complaints about lack of themeing or airtime. After repeated requests to take pictures of the ride from his roof, it will be his last event ever.

Really hope enthusiasts can stay civil for this. Maybe I’m hoping for too much.

Yeah, you're hoping for way too much! It's going to very quickly turn into who rode it, who rode it first, and how it's a million times better than any other of the RMC Raptors.

If I were him I would hold an obnoxiously small enthusiast event once a year that required participating in a lottery to get a ticket with a Q&A session, catered gravy buffet and special edition patches commemorating the event so people could be super pretentious about the fact that they were there and then charge an astronomical price. Astronomical...

If I were him I would hold an obnoxiously small enthusiast event once a year that required participating in a lottery to get a ticket with a Q&A session, catered gravy buffet and special edition patches commemorating the event so people could be super pretentious about the fact that they were there and then charge an astronomical price. Astronomical...

Like Willy Wonka. 4 Golden Tickets (since it's a 4 car train) every year! Imagine the pickle measuring!

Really hope enthusiasts can stay civil for this. Maybe I’m hoping for too much.

Yeah, you're hoping for way too much! It's going to very quickly turn into who rode it, who rode it first, and how it's a million times better than any other of the RMC Raptors.

Note to any of our readers who don't post at all: PLEASE respect this family's privacy.

Honestly, I'm partial to NOT including this one on our coaster poll next year.