TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

New Roller Coaster Type from RMC Rocky Mountain Construction

^^--Check out the heartline rolls on Volcano, you can purely see the track looks like it was wrapped around a long thin cylinder. Arrow and Togo needed the pipeline design at first to build a heartline, but Togo managed to do it with regular track with Viper. But with any 2-wide or 4-wide seating, the ride heartline doesn't go through anyone's heart, it goes between the center riders (unless they make a mistake). Thus, between the rotation speed and the width, B&M's zero-g rolls aren't very zero-g in the outer seats. The right seat pulls to the right and the left to the left, due to centrifugal force, or as I may bastardize a term from orbital mechanics, the tide (especially on the dive coaster trains).

Maverick's removed heartline was very weird, they were banked over 70 degrees for a turn and instead of it returning to flat and then banking the other way, it just twisted around the other direction. The whole element probably lasted about a half second as well. I think this could be done in a rideable way, but it would need to be stretched out and include curvatures in the vertical dimension. Maverick couldn't be modified to that extent. Does anyone know of a case anyone's pulled this off?

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ I love that element! Rode Mumbo Jumbo in UK/FlamingoLand with it.

I wish Playland(PNE) would get one and replace Corkscrew with it!

#OngoingWish

^^-- yeah that's kind of the first half of the Maverick element, except the level of banking of the curve isn't needed for the curve itself because it's so slow. It concludes with a half loop instead too. The Maverick element was essentially a 240 degree inverting roll, it didn't even have to make it through 360 because the initial and final rotations came from the attached curves.

A sort-of example would be Alpengeist's final roll, it follows a roll in the opposite direction and is essentially a roll in the middle of a straight section rather than coming out of curve and continuing the debank. It curves and banks to the left, rolls counterclockwise, and then curves to the right. The curves are part of setting up the roll, it's definitely not a roll stuck between 2 curves, and the roll is zero-G(-ish) with altitude changes as well. This could have been more what Intamin had in mind for Maverick but not in a way that worked out.

^Wingriders were an excellent example to point out.

On windriders, this element is anything but close to heartlined. The riders are STUPIDLY far from the center of rotation when compared to any other coaster. I can't think of a coaster where riders further distance away from the center of rotation of an inline roll other than for (maybe) an S&S Freefly, but TBH I don't know I'd count that because it has an extra plane of rotation which may an unknown effect.

I don't suppose a inline roll really is a problem on any coaster as long as it's taken at a speed that is considerate the riders distance from the center of rotation.

Actually it's not the speed per say, but rather the roll speed. Remember Furius Baco and it's inline twist took at almost 130km/h (faster than Maverick):

(1:25)

But it's no problem since it's really stretched out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nesting seems to be going well also. I heard this type was very quiet, I mean, birds are even laying their eggs in it.

Seriously,RMC never ceases to amaze me, I can't wait to see the layouts of these things, until then, I have to settle for Planet Coaster.

This element looks very much like a full inverting over-banked turn. The open spacing of the supports also looks very friendly to having walkways passing underneath. This is exactly what I picture going into the Boardwalk at Knott's.

uhmmmm , goliath colors

Would look nice sitting right next to Xcelerator.

1078451608_Raptor2.thumb.jpg.44289f19143ba2dcc8076173f29b9665.jpg

I cant get over how nice the track looks painted, it's almost like something out of a cartoon.

I'm also amazed at how little (relatively speaking) materials are used. Minimal track and support structure, and the trains look very minimalist as well.