TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

B&M Restraints: Old vs. New

Which version of the B&M OTSR's do you prefer?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Which version of the B&M OTSR's do you prefer?

• Old version
    • New version
    • No preference

With the announcement of Valravn today, I have noticed a lot of differing opinions on B&M's new over the shoulder restraints (OTSR's). I am interested to know what the general consensus is on the new restraints versus the old restraints. Which do you prefer and why? Please vote in the poll and explain your opinion below.

Personally, I can't stand the new restraints. Though the latest versions of the vests no longer lock tighter and tighter against you during the ride, I still hate the constant pressure the vests put against your shoulders and that the hydraulic system allows the lap bar portion of the restraint to fall harder and harder on you at the bottom of every element. I find the whole system very uncomfortable. I also hate how these new restraints are accompanied by more reclined seats.

I prefer the freedom in the shoulders of the old harnesses, even if that means occasional headbanging.

How about you?

New version

rougarou-train-cprundown.jpg?w=700&h=525

Old version

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, I can't form a solid opinion. It depends on the ride and what the ride does. For rides like Banshee that are very forceful and thrilling, I like the new restraints since they are less obstructive to your view and you are kept in your seat the whole time anyway due to the forces.

However, on rides like GateKeeper, I would have liked to see the traditional restraints due to the "floaty" nature of the ride. Same goes for Valravn. When you are stapled into your seat with those new restraints, I am questioning the amount of floaty airtime you will get on the drops compared to Griffon and Sheikra.

It's hard to say one is better than the other because each has advantages and disadvantages and are dependent on their respective coaster.

I personally despised the old ones being taller, so headbanging on older B&M's was always a problem unless I rode defensively. With the vests though, the problem is eliminated. You can put your hands up for once, and your upper body is more free. The only complaint I have is the vests that lock get really uncomfortable after a while digging into your shoulders, but really IMO headbanging is far worse. With the free-moving ones that can loosen throughout the ride, I don't even deal with that problem.

Personally, I can't stand the new restraints. Though the latest versions of the vests no longer lock tighter and tighter against you during the ride, I still hate the constant pressure the vests put against your shoulders and that the hydraulic system allows the lap bar portion of the restraint to fall harder and harder on you at the bottom of every element. I find the whole system very uncomfortable. I also hate how these new restraints are accompanied by more reclined seats.

I prefer the freedom in the shoulders of the old harnesses, even if that means occasional headbanging.

While I don't seem to dislike them as much as you do I agree with the reasons you mentioned. I don't like how they get tighter during the higher G moments (although that's a problem with many other hydraulic restraints) and I'm definitely not a fan of reclined seats. If the choice is between OTSR with normal seats vs lap bars with reclined ones (which used to be the case with B&M's looping rides vs hypers) I'll naturally accept the latter with a small sacrifice of having reclined seats but I don't see why these new OTSR need to have them. But I'd say the worst for me is the fact that they don't let you float around as much as the old ones. Given that B&M is not known for extreme ejector air but rather for moments of weightlessness or floater air it's crucial that the restrains allow some freedom otherwise you don't feel air at all. I never felt I was lifting out of my seat on gatekeeper's airtime hill or floating on the zero G not because there isn't any air (as you can see people's hair floating around) but because you're glued to your seat. And it's not like B&M make rough rides which require headbanging-free restraints.

This isn't a huge deal for me and I'll never stop riding a coaster because of it but I'm not sure if, all in all, it might not affect my opinion on the ride as every moment and every aspect counts even if you don't really realize it.

Oh, I've never been on a diving machine but I suspect the drop really relies on floater air and weightlessness all the way down so I hope these restraints don't harm that.

It's a toss-up. With the old ones, I can't breathe deeply because they're so close to my chest. With the new ones I can, but the vest puts uncomfortable pressure on my shoulders.

If I had to choose I'd pick the new ones only because they don't give you tunnel vision.

Whoever says being too big or too tall is uncomfortable in the new restraints...Your argument is invalid. I'm 6 '4 and 250 lbs. and I absolutely love the new restraints that B&M does. I also am glad they're doing them on the new 4D fly coasters at Six Flags...Which I thought were very comfortable at SFFT. I don't find any of them uncomfortable at all. I've ridden every wingrider in the USA and not one of them felt uncomfortable. The Banshee restraints feel good too. I say do away with all the old B&M restraints and install new ones.

I personally prefer the older style. I don't know what people complain about but I never got serious head banging with them. I've never bad serious head banging on a B&M coaster. I feel like people complaining about the head banging read it some where on line and seriously have no idea what they are talking about. The new restraints become very uncomfortable. Espically if you're tall. They cut into your collar bone and make the ride really uncomfortable. Personally I wish B&M would have just stuck with the old school harnesses.

I'll take the new ones, but it is close. B&Ms are really smooth, but I'd rather just avoid the risk of headbanging. I didn't find that the new restraints inhibited air-time at all on GateKeeper. The constant pressure on the restraints was weird at first, but ultimately I didn't mind it.

Whoever says being too big or too tall is uncomfortable in the new restraints...Your argument is invalid. I'm 6 '4 and 250 lbs. and I absolutely love the new restraints that B&M does.

I'm taller and larger than you are, and I don't really care for the new restraints. Is your argument invalid now?