Playland's Castaway Cove Discussion Thread

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Fluffy, Fluffy, Donkeys Filled With Medicine and Goo!

Re: Playland Castaway Cove (OC, NJ) announces Gale Force

Postby coneyislandchris » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:01 am

DirkFunk wrote:This is the same park that ran a looping zyklon for eons, after all.

Yeah but the Zyklon didn't cost 14 tickets. >_>

It's kind of funny, when we were there earlier this summer, the park was absolutely slammed. A total sea of people that was impossible to navigate through due to their small, enclosed location and rides basically being piled up on top of each other. Everything out on the midway had long lines. After we bought tickets, we headed over to Gale Force, and were greeted with a walk-on at the station. From anecdotal evidence I've heard that there isn't usually a line for this ride at all, either. The park clearly can't be happy with that sort of return on investment. So if, as the article states, S&S is replacing the track out of their own pocket, Playland would be foolish not to take them up on it and see if it can improve throughput by having better word of mouth. That being said, they might want to look at the other reasons it might not be drawing a crowd (again... 14 tickets).
That coaster dad [316] and that coaster kiddo [175]. Road trip buddies for life.
Dad's faves: Fury 325. Phantom's Revenge. Intimidator 305. El Toro. Skyrush.

Kiddo's faves: Banshee. Top Thrill Dragster. Valravn. Apollo's Chariot. Twisted Timbers.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:51 am

I had crowded midways at Playland as well, but nothing really had a line. It wasn't exclusive to GaleForce.

I thought GaleForce was unique, but I found it uncomfortable. Outside of the launch, the layout was smooth. My issue was with the restraints. They ended up being a ball buster for me on my two rides.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Twisted Colossus, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Lagoon & Lake Compounce Haunted Graveyard

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:12 am

WestCoasterKing wrote:^ It's just my personal opinion.

Just out of curiosity, which installations have you ridden (so I know which ones to avoid)?

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby WestCoasterKing » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:57 am

boldikus wrote:

Just out of curiosity, which installations have you ridden (so I know which ones to avoid)?

I have yet but just looking at them I want to vomit. I have ridden both Green Lantern and X2 and both made me barf. I hate tumbling rides like zippers and such. If the FreeSpin is anything like those then no thanks. Rollercoasters are supposed to be 'runaway train rides' not flat rides.

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:11 am

Oh well now that WestCoasterKing has declared what roller coasters are "supposed to be" we better draft it up and circulate it to everyone down at IAAPA. Timing coudn't be better. We have to get the word out. Back to the drawing board guys! No more development! No more innovation! Mine Trains for EVERYONE!!!!

Postby coasterbill » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:30 am

Saying a coaster sucks when you've never ridden it and it's nothing like any other coaster type in existence is hilariously ridiculous.

As for Gale Force, I don't really have much to add. I tend to think that DirkFunk is right (per usual) but none of us know for sure so there's not much to say. I have a hard time thinking the park is overly happy with this investment thus far though. I was going to say something about how a coaster that costs $10 to ride should be a great ride if they expect anyone to pony up that type of cash but then I remembered that I shelled out 15 bucks to ride Manhattan Express on Saturday and there was a huge line of other people waiting to buy tickets too so never-mind. :lol:

Postby Superbatboy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:12 am

WestCoasterKing wrote:
boldikus wrote:

I have yet but just looking at them I want to vomit.
anigif_enhanced-buzz-15017-1444140132-5.gif
1.Skyrush 2.El Toro 3.Fury 325 4.Maverick 5.New Texas Giant 6.Wicked Cyclone 7.Twisted Colossus 8.Superman:TR 9.Millennium Force 10.Apollo's Chariot

Postby YoshiFan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:58 am

In addition to the high cost to ride, the few times a year they have wristband specials, Gale Force is excluded. On those days they lower it to I think $5 a ride or 7 tickets. If 7 or 8 tickets was the regular price, whenever I get to the park I'd probably be more willing to ride the coaster a few times since that is $3.50 or $4.00 worth of tickets if you buy them during the half price sales they have.

I'm not sure if this is old news or not but their Double Shot is also for sale:
http://www.italintl.com/detail_page.php?record_id=2139

And it looks like Gillian's Wonderland Pier is joining the other parks in the area that are open in November and December. I got an e-mail a few days ago that the indoor rides will be open on the weekends. Not really great for anyone without kids since it's almost all kiddie rides in that section of the park.They are also selling their Runaway Train coaster:
http://www.italintl.com/detail_page.php?record_id=2142

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:35 pm

^ Playland was only letting a max of 4 riders per cycle on Double Shot back in June. I thought it was so everyone could get the ocean view, but maybe there was something more to it if it's for sale.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Twisted Colossus, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Lagoon & Lake Compounce Haunted Graveyard

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby I Like Theme Parks. » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:45 pm

^^Nooo! The double cycle on Double Shot was awesome, and other parks probably wouldn't run it that way. :( At least there's a superior tower at Gillian's now.
Top 3 Parks: Knoebels, Cedar Point, Kennywood
Top 3 Steel Coasters: Steel Vengeance, Phantom's Revenge, Maverick
Top 3 Wood Coasters: El Toro, Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 3 Flat Rides: Knoebels Flyers, Black Widow, Zipper
Top 3 Water Rides: Coal Cracker, Escape From Pompeii, Splash Mountain
167 coasters

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!