TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Anyone ridden all the RMCs yet?

Anyone hit all 7? I'm wondering how they stack up.

New Texas Giant - Six Flags Over Texas

Outlaw Run - Silver Dollar City

Iron Rattler - Six Flags Fiesta Texas

Medusa - Six Flags Mexico

Goliath - Six Flags Great America

Twisted Colossus - Six Flags Magic Mountain

Wicked Cyclone - Six Flags New England

I've only done New Texas Giant and Wicked Cyclone. I much preferred NTAG (my #3) over Wicked Cyclone (my #14). NTAG's airtime seemed more intense, and not being allowed to select my own seat on Wicked Cyclone really put a damper on my ride.

Edited by larrygator

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wicked Cyclone is getting such mixed reviews, someone people are putting it as their new #1...while others are like meh top 20 or so. I'm planning to ride it in late August. Then maybe the two Texas RMCs in Sept-Oct

Wicked Cyclone is getting such mixed reviews, someone people are putting it as their new #1...while others are like meh top 20 or so. I'm planning to ride it in late August. Then maybe the two Texas RMCs in Sept-Oct

I'm guessing it depends on where you sit and how much you like inversions vs. airtime.

On my SFNE visit I was one person away from riding in the front row, but was told instead I had to ride in my least favorite part of the train, the middle. I was so frustrated it really put a damper on my ride. With only 2 more hours in the park, and I decided I didn't want risk a mediocre seat again and instead used my limited time to get some additional rides on Bizarro.

I'm guessing it depends on where you sit and how much you like inversions vs. airtime.

On my SFNE visit I was one person away from riding in the front row, but was told instead I had to ride in my least favorite part of the train, the middle. I was so frustrated it really put a damper on my ride. With only 2 more hours in the park, and I decided I didn't want risk a mediocre seat again and instead used my limited time to get some additional rides on Bizarro.

I bet the front would've had the strongest airtime, on TC the airtime is so strong in the front seat that my thighs hurt the next day.

My rankings are simple:

1. Texas Giant

2. Twisted Colossus

It seems like Texas Giant had the perfect foundation for a conversion. The original was very tall with an interesting layout, which in turn to what may be the best RMC conversion. I also think that Texas Giant is helped by the lack of inversions, so there are no elements like this to interrupt the pace of the airtime.

I've only done New Texas Giant and Wicked Cyclone. I much preferred NTAG (my #3) over Wicked Cyclone (my #14). NTAG's airtime seemed more intense, and not being allowed to select my own seat on Wicked Cyclone really put a damper on my ride.

In about 8 weeks I'll have been on all of them. It's sort of hard for me to rank them all, but if I had to it would look something like this:

1. New Texas Giant - Six Flags Over Texas

1. Outlaw Run - Silver Dollar City

1. Medusa - Six Flags Mexico

1. Wicked Cyclone - Six Flags New England

2. Iron Rattler - Six Flags Fiesta Texas

3. Goliath - Six Flags Great America

TBD - Twisted Colossus - Six Flags Magic Mountain

Sorry, I just couldn't not tie those first four for #1! lol

And even my least favorite RMC is still better than 95% of the roller coasters in the world!

In about 8 weeks I'll have been on all of them. It's sort of hard for me to rank them all, but if I had to it would look something like this:

And even my least favorite RMC is still better than 95% of the roller coasters in the world!

I'll assume NTAG listed first means it's the true #1.

The 2011 TPR NTAG event with nighttime ERT was one of my most memorable coaster experiences. If I remember right, they even turned off the midcourse trim brakes for us. Those rides were unbelievable.

The four #1's are listed chronologically!

I'm going on my first Rocky Mountain Coasters Outlaw Run and Goliath at the end of July when I visit Silver Dollar City and Six Flags Great America.

Awesome! Those are the two I've ridden also. Goliath is easily the best coaster at SF Great America, but it's definitely not quite up to the standards of Outlaw Run. Goliath is an excellent roller coaster, but Outlaw Run does things you didn't think were possible. I've ridden Outlaw Run dozens of times over the last three years, and I'm still in awe of sideways airtime. The math was explained somewhere on this site, so it makes sense now how it happens, but wow--it's a truly incredible feeling. Have fun!

I've only been on NTAG and iRat so far. Honestly I'd rank iRat above NTAG, going against the grain here, haha. iRat may be shorter but I feel it's the better ride. It's short and sweet and packs one hell of a punch into the ride. NTAG is still awesome, but it was a completely different ride between the front and back. The back was fun but the front was muuuuuch better and had way more airtime. iRat was just as insane of a ride no matter where you sat (aside from the first drop).

If you had asked me this back in 2013, I would've been able to say yes. But since new ones have been built that I haven't ridden, nope.

Here's how I'd rank what I've ridden so far.

1. Outlaw Run

2. Twisted Colossus

3. Iron Rattler

4. New Texas Giant (Only got 1 ride and it hadn't warmed up, so I'm hoping that I just got a weak, but still great, ride).

No, not at all actually. That was just the way they were listed in the original post when I copy/pasted them. I honestly don't know which I'd put as #1 as I like them all just the same. I pretty much stopped ranking coasters a few years ago, even the Mitch poll I ended up grouping most of them the last few years, as I felt it really doesn't matter. I kind of feel that having a "top ten" just invites arguments and drama between people and IMO that's not what coaster riding is about. Let's leave the counting and ranking for the super die-hards and focus on riding and having fun! And you can pretty much do that on ALL of the RMC coasters!

I couldn't agree more. It's become mostly fanboy bragging rights which takes the fun out of it. I stopped keeping a list a well and just group my favorites as a whole.

I've been on 5 of the 7 RMCs, and all of them make that Top group that I'd be willing to travel to ride.

I've been on the Texas RMCs, and I personally prefer NTaG because it feels smoother, has a more dynamic range of g-forces, and is longer. IRat is still amazing and has a great setting, but it has one rattly moment right before the barrel roll and is over pretty quickly.

No, not at all actually. That was just the way they were listed in the original post when I copy/pasted them. I honestly don't know which I'd put as #1 as I like them all just the same. I pretty much stopped ranking coasters a few years ago, even the Mitch poll I ended up grouping most of them the last few years, as I felt it really doesn't matter. I kind of feel that having a "top ten" just invites arguments and drama between people and IMO that's not what coaster riding is about. Let's leave the counting and ranking for the super die-hards and focus on riding and having fun! And you can pretty much do that on ALL of the RMC coasters!

Just sarcasm on my part.

I tend to agree. Personally I find it easiest to think of most of my rides ridden in tiers, and when trying to rank them in an exact order it gets down to splitting hairs.

I've only been on NTAG and IRAT. Of those two, NTAG takes top honers. NTAG has much more airtime which

is constant, IRAT starts strong and finishes strong but has a weaker mid-section after the inversion. For the

record, I've ridden both NTAG and IRAT numerous times and in virtually all seat locations.

1= New Texas Giant

2= Iron Rattler

Edited by Sportsdude360

I probably should clarify, when I say that my list goes like:

1. Texas Giant

2. Twisted Colossus

I am not actually talking about my top RMC's. I am actually giving the list of my top two steel coasters I have ever ridden.

I do agree that any discussion over which is better is truly splitting hairs. I think that it is a lot of fun to analyse and compare which features we think are better than others. But if you are trying to decide between a place trip to SFOT or to SFMM, do not let some moron on the internet with an avatar of an Arrow looper be that deciding factor.

One comment that I do have to make is that I like the Gerstlauer trains a lot better than the RMC trains. Colossus' extreme laterals had the tendency to slam me into the side of the train, especially when sitting on the right side.

You would have the perfect RMC if the green life of Colossus were extended, and the rest of the ride became an NTAG clone.

OR

The greatest roller coaster in the world would be if you took El Toro, then right after the Rolling Thunder hill pasted on all of Texas Giant after the MCBR. (That would be so great because it always felt to me that El Toro loses its amazing pace a bit too soon).

I haven't ridden any yet simply because the Southeast is neglected when it comes to RMC's. Hopefully, I'll get out to Dollywood next year to ride their RMC since SFOG isn't biting the bullet first. There's the chance of going to SFMM in December as well, so TC may end up being my first RMC.