TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Schwarzkopf Bayern Kurve?

Always thought this ride was very interesting, and was wondering if anybody on here had any info on a particular installation. I seem to remember there being a traveling version that toured around Canada about 10 years ago. I can't find any pics, vids or other info about it, but I clearly remember seeing it at a few locations in Ontario. I'm pretty sure it was owned by Campbell Amusements, but I can't be certain.

Looked very similar to the pic below, but the backdrop was a purple-ish colour. and I'm pretty sure there wasn't any backdrop one time I saw it. Think the train had a few paint jobs over the years, but I can remember it having yellow cars, and one time with a pink/blue colour scheme.

EDIT: After some research, turns out the ride Campbell owned was was a Reverchon Himalaya without the roof/tent. Was a long time ago, so guess I remembered it wrong

image.jpg.bbdae1213ceb2bc49403df357980f66a.jpg

image.jpg.c15abfbd9175a1320d03d4bf3caf1c84.jpg

Edited by canadianparkfan

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know there is one operating at Kennywood in Pennsylvania, and then a few others that are scattered across the Western Hemisphere, but many of the original ones were removed at or around the turn of the millennium.

The only one I have seen (which happens to be the one at Kennywood) was fairly loud, most likely due to the drive mechanics that were used to operate the ride. Also, as the ride would gradually gain speed, the cars would tilt further inward, to the point where they were parallel to the angle of the track.

I know there is one operating at Kennywood in Pennsylvania, and then a few others that are scattered across the Western Hemisphere, but many of the original ones were removed at or around the turn of the millennium.

The only one I have seen (which happens to be the one at Kennywood) was fairly loud, most likely due to the drive mechanics that were used to operate the ride. Also, as the ride would gradually gain speed, the cars would tilt further inward, to the point where they were parallel to the angle of the track.

Yup, remember it being pretty loud when I saw the one I described. Kinda shocked a smaller show like that would have such a ride now I think of it (I've heard it takes three trailers to move).

I LOVED these rides as a kid and haven't ridden one since. I was sooooo stoked when I realized Kennywood still has theirs, since we'll be there next week!

^I went on the one at Kennywood a few years ago; it was incredibly loud, but WOW it was far more intense than what I was expecting. I highly recommend riding them when you come across them.

Also, does Bayern Kurve count as a credit?

No, but I have seen a couple people consider them to be powered coasters...

I used to be really intrigued by these rides. They're not amazing, but worth riding due to their present-day rarity. And yeah, they're super loud!

The only one I have ever ridden was the one at Cedar Point...back when it located next to Schwabinchen (where Wildcat was and now Luminosity area currently resides).

I remember it being quite fun - didn't they also blast a super loud alpine horn during the ride?

• 9 months later...

I'm creating a list of all the Bayern Kurve rides that have formerly operated and are currently operating. If you know of any others that have operated or are operating, please comment below so I can add them to this list! There aren't many around!

Operating or SBNO:

-Bayern Kurve at Kennywood (Opened 2009)

-Berserker at California's Great America (Opened 1976)

-Bayern Kurve at Parque de la Ciudad (Opened 1982; SBNO)

Operated:

-Bayern Curve at Canada's Wonderland (1981-2000)

-Sierra Twist at Six Flags Magic Mountain (1973-2008 or earlier)

-Wild Bull at Carowinds (1979-1998)

-Bayern Kurve at Kings Island (1973-1982; relocated to Australia's Wonderland which opened in 1985)

-Wizard's Fury at Australia's Wonderland (1985-2001; Formerly operated at Kings Island)

-Mount Kilimanjaro at Kings Dominion (1976-1990)

-Yukon Yahoo at Six Flags Great America (1976-1991)

-Swiss Bob at Six Flags Great Adventure (1974-1991)

-Swiss Bob at Six Flags New England (Riverside Park) (19??-1996) (I believe this is the same one that operated at Fun Spot Amusement Park (Indiana))

-Bayern Kurve at Fun Spot Amusement Park (Indiana) (2002-2008; removed 2014)

-Bayern Kurve at Cedar Point (1970-1984)

-Bayern Kurve at Geauga Lake (1974-1980)

-Cortina-Jet at Tykkimäki (1988-2006)

-Bayern Kurve at Valleyfair (19??-????)

... - didn't they also blast a super loud alpine horn during the ride?

What? Sorry? Whad'yu say?

Couldn't hear you.

The answer is YES! We had one travel to the PNE here several years ago, and you could hear that

horn from the other end of the fairgrounds, lol!