TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Adventure Park USA (Frederick, MD)

I searched for a pre-existing thread for Adventure Park, but couldn't find one. If one exists, please feel free to merge this post.

If you don't already know about Adventure Park USA, let me provide a little background. The park opened just outside of Frederick, MD quite modestly primarily as an arcade/mini-golf/go carts location. They also had a pretty nice laser tag venue, bumper boats, and a small indoor ropes course. In 2007, they refurbished and relocated a Schwarzkopf Wildcat from Williams Grove (the coaster had been at about three other parks before then including Busch Gardens WIlliamsburg in the late 70's). About the same time, they started looking into building a modest water park (to be built in phases with a wave pool, lazy river, and a slide tower or two). The water park didn't happen back then, but they did add a really nice Christmas light drive through attraction for the holidays.

Fast forward to 2014 and the park has since added several flats (mostly kiddie flats), a paintball attraction, and just announced that they will be adding a second coaster.

10750448_10153328129820995_8602428217249191841_o.thumb.jpg.8de0d4a63d263e718ec599c3a96113da.jpg

The coaster seems to be Old Town's former Zamperla Windstorm. With the opening of this second coaster, this small, little road side attraction will soon have two coasters and the talks of building a water park have resurfaced! Not saying this place will ever be more than a brief hour or two stop while you're passing through the area, but with their recent additions, they seem to be turning more heads!

The college I go to is like an hourish west of that park. And yeah, most people don't know that SFA isn't the only park in MD, haha. But that's awesome. When I was back home in the Annapolis area and my family drove through Western MD, I always saw Wildcat on the highway. It looks like an interesting park, and I plan on checking it out this year.

It's a nice little FEC, and I'm glad to see this Windstorm is a second coaster and not a replacement for the Wildcat. It's a nice place to stop for an easy two credits when you're in the area. I'll definitely have to stop by again for this new coaster. Hopefully, I can find the card from my last visit so I don't have to pay a dollar for another one!

I was considering going there when they only had Wildcat. This seals the deal...at least, if I'm in DC and have a bit of free time. I love seeing small parks expand with new coasters, just shows you never know where one will crop up next!

I don't remember that Windstorm being special, but I'm glad so many of them are being relocated instead of scrapped.

It's a nice little FEC, and I'm glad to see this Windstorm is a second coaster and not a replacement for the Wildcat. It's a nice place to stop for an easy two credits when you're in the area. I'll definitely have to stop by again for this new coaster. Hopefully, I can find the card from my last visit so I don't have to pay a dollar for another one!

I agree that it is the nicest looking FEC I've ever been to.

Edited by larrygator

REALLY coming along quickly! Unfortunately, I'm told the ride will not open until the outdoor attractions typically reopen (early April).

They are running a contest to name the new ride. The winning name will get a ride on the first official train as well as 4 all day ride passes.

https://www.facebook.com/AdventureParkUSA/app_573103316156284

10452887_10153335305655995_9010895971945199559_o.thumb.jpg.2fc9774fd02ccd67e670d5692b9811b0.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Does anyone know if this park gets crowded on Memorial Day weekend? I know it’s just an FEC so it won’t get many crowds, but it doesn’t hurt to ask.

• 10 months later...

Another year of expansion, they moved the Tilt-a-whirl from it's old position to next to the golf course to make way for the new path. Rumor has it a Ferris wheel will be added along with another flat. Really happy to see this park doing well.

• 2 years later...

So, on my way back from Lakemont Park today (report here), I stopped by Adventure Park USA to get the Zamperla Windstorm credit, Wild West Express, that I didn't get on my first trip here a few months ago, and maybe take another spin on the Wildcat.

Well, first off, the Wildcat was still running just one 4-seater car.  No others were anywhere in sight.  Thus, it had a line, that I estimated at about a half hour.

IMG_20210710_155917167_HDR.thumb.jpg.9ed1bfa9c88fe35c2bec9d005af003e2.jpg

So yeah, let's skip that.  I added $8 worth of points to my card, and headed over to Wild West Express, for a one-train wait.

Amusingly enough, the card/wristband scanner was nonfunctional, so the lone ride op was just letting everyone on if they had something to show.  $8 down the drain LOL.  Anyway, WOW this surprised me. I'd never been on a Windstorm before (in fact, the only Zamperla coaster I had been on before this was a horrible Volare at Rye Playland), and this was a LOT more forceful than I expected.  Particularly in the weird not-quite-an-upside-down-inclined-loop shown here, and yeah there were no trim brakes in use anywhere.IMG_20210710_161207858_HDR.thumb.jpg.b8cc589b12eecb43f955c7a9dc6be1ec.jpg

The helicies were also quite forceful for what it is.

IMG_20210710_161212640_HDR.thumb.jpg.a0d1496362e3fc921e72480eaff110bd.jpgIMG_20210710_161238305_HDR.thumb.jpg.512796b4dd83e0404be70344ff98b18f.jpg

After that, it was back on the road home.  A worthwhile stop on a trip that was otherwise a waste of time (seriously, read the Lakemont report).

Farewell, Adventure Park USA.

• Like 1

The state of Maryland won't allow more than one car on Wildcat anymore since an in-house modification caused too many collisions. I don't think the ride even has a functioning block system anymore, you can see from the POV's all the BB's were removed. 

Windstorm is a really fun ride, you can see some of its original paint from when it was at Old Town starting to show in your pic!

It's a cool place but way too pricey, $45 for an all day wristband when SFA has a season pass for $50 around the corner is just highway robbery. Last I checked all the major rides will set you back 8 bucks if you want to pay ride by ride, which is also absurd. 

Was everything open? 

@disownedpearIt looked like everything was running, including the lazer tag and tank-control bumper cars inside the arcade.  The place was pretty packed for a FEC.

Interesting about the Wildcat.  I would totally believe that it doesn't have a functioning anything, given that the ride op needs to push the car in the station.  When I rode it a few months back, I had never felt less safe on a ride; I constantly thought some bolts were going to rattle loose and it would collapse in on itself.  That said, it was fun, and I would totally ride it again if there was no line.

And yeah, that is stupid expensive for a wristband...I guess they need to make up for letting people on rides for free LOL.  I can't speak for how much the other rides are, but yes the two coasters are $8 a piece.