NEWS: Legoland may come to New York

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Open Up Happiness

Re: NEWS: Legoland may come to New York

Postby jedimaster1227 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:53 am

This would still be a good move for Merlin. New York is a prime market for a Legoland park as there are few family-focused parks nearby.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:04 pm

Not much news, except to let everyone know discussions are still ongoing

http://www.recordonline.com/news/20161006/officials-tout-legoland-project

Officials tout Legoland project
Oct 6, 2016 By James Walsh atTimes Herald-Record

CENTRAL VALLEY – Legoland’s plan for an amusement park in Goshen represents a unique opportunity, not only for Orange County, but for the Northeast United States, business and government leaders were told Thursday.

Theme parks are rarely being built in the United States these days, though some are being enlarged or updated. Asia is in a growth stage when it comes to amusement parks, while North America and Europe are quiet after leading the way from the 1950s to the 1980s, Raymond Braun, founder of Entertainment + Culture Advisors, said at an Orange County Partnership breakfast.

“This is a really, really unique opportunity,” Braun said after addressing about 300 people at the Falkirk Estate and Country Club. His company’s clients include the Merlin Entertainments Group, which is planning the Goshen venture.

Entertainment + Culture Advisor, or ECA, offers services including park attendance projections, potential pricing strategies, and site evaluations for developers, governments and investors.

Braun said the proposed Legoland, which would be the third in the U.S., would aim to draw day-trippers from the New York City metro area, and multiple-day visitors from the Northeast. The town Planning Board is reviewing the proposal’s potential environmental impacts in the face of concerns including traffic, infrastructure and noise levels.

“We are working with them to make sure information about other tourist destinations in Orange County is available at Legoland,” Susan Hawvermale, the county’s tourism director, said after Braun’s address. “They’ll extend their stay to go to places like The Castle, to our parks, West Point, to go apple picking. There are educational opportunities that will draw them from Legoland.”

The “educational” aspect may appeal to Legoland’s target audience of families with children 12 and under. Legoland is among the tamest of theme parks, with an estimated annual attendance of 1.5 million to 2.5 million people. A “mega” park like the Disney properties and Universal Studios draw 8 million to 15 million, according to Braun.

Also promoting Legoland at the breakfast was County Executive Steve Neuhaus, who was playfully depicted on video screens piloting a jet at the New York Air Show and playing with Lego bricks.

“I’m all in with Legoland,” Neuhaus said. “I think this is a wonderful opportunity; a once in a lifetime … I grew up in Orange County. I’m 42 years old … I think it’s something everyone should get behind.”

A key aspect of the plan in Goshen is a 250-room hotel. While the park would open on a spring-fall schedule, the hotel would operate all year.

“A big trend in the industry is don’t just build a park, build a destination,” Braun told the audience. “As Disney taught us, it’s better to have people stay for several days than for several hours.”
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:27 pm

I still believe that putting a decent Legoland close to NYC would be equivalent to printing money.

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby djcoastermark » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:32 pm

^ I think you are quite right on that one. And it is a good thing. I do wonder how it will affect the Florida location? Might they have to step up their game in Florida?

Postby larrygator » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:35 pm

djcoastermark wrote:^ I think you are quite right on that one. And it is a good thing. I do wonder how it will affect the Florida location? Might they have to step up their game in Florida?

I think a New York location would affect the Florida location to the same degree that the Florida addition affected the California location.
Insignificant in my opinion.

Postby larrygator » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:43 pm

We are still at least 3 years from opening, but another hurdle has been cleared

http://www.recordonline.com/news/20161117/legoland-plans-move-forward

Legoland plans move forward
Nov 17, 2016
By Richard J. Bayne
Times Herald-Record

GOSHEN – The proposed, $500 million Legoland New York theme park took a giant step forward Thursday when the town Planning Board voted 7-0 that Legoland’s draft environmental impact statement is adequate for public and agency review.

The board set a Dec. 15 public hearing. Now, under State Environmental Quality Review Act procedures, Legoland's voluminous, revised DEIS will be released to the public. Board members requested some technical additions Thursday; the Planning Board staff expects those to be done within a few days, and the report is expected to be released to the public early next week. That DEIS has been available to Planning Board members only since Legoland submitted it Oct. 11.

Although the public wasn’t technically permitted to speak at Thursday’s meeting, the vote to move forward toward approvals drew shouts of disapproval from opponents.

"You're ruining a beautiful town,” shouted Lilllian Swingle, a 29-year town resident.

Pramilla Malick, an environmental activist who ran unsuccessfully for state Senate Nov. 8, shouted at the board to extend the hearing date, accusing the board of engaging in a deliberate attempt to use the upcoming holidays as a means to get around public comment and rush the project to approval. “We’re going to litigate this,” Malick pledged.

“We’re not trying to hide anything,” Planning Board Chairman Lee Bergus responded. “You’ll get your chance to comment at the public hearings.”

Now Legoland’s DEIS will go through public hearings, moving toward a potential final environmental impact statement, site plan review, and approvals for the 153-acre proposed park, to be located on a 523-acre site at Route 17’s Exit 125, off Harriman Drive. Legoland has been a divisive issue in the town, with opponents focusing on traffic, environmental, and quality-of-life concerns, and proponents touting economic benefits. About 200 people packed Thursday’s session at the Orange County Emergency Services Center.

“This is a win,” said Maureen Halahan, president and CEO of the Orange County Partnership, after Thursday’s vote. Halahan, who visited Legoland’s Winter Haven, Fla., park in September, praised the Planning Board staff for its work, especially town building inspector Neal Halloran, who gave an hour-long presentation, complete with photos of a trip an eight-member Planning Board delegation took to Winter Haven, Fla., Oct. 28-29.

“We talked with municipal officials,” Halloran said. “They had nothing but positive things to say.”

The delegation took walking tours of the Florida park, which is comparable in size to the proposed park in Goshen. It researched a host of issues, including traffic access, parking, noise and light pollution and security

Traffic has been a key issue among Legoland opponents. The board’s traffic consultant, Charles “Carlito” Holt, who went on the trip, did not report extensive backups during his part of the presentation Thursday. Legoland would like to open its New York park by 2019, if approvals are granted.

Gatherings from Goshen Planning Board Fla. Legoland visit tat are mentioned in the article
Purpose: Assess community impacts, gain insights
Who went: 5 planning board members, consultants, 8 total
When: Oct. 28-29, Halloween weekend
Where: Winter Haven, Fla.
Ground rules: No Legoland representatives at meetings, tours
Expenses: Covered out of pre-paid Legoland fees, individual funds
Interviewed: Local officials, planners, police, fire, EMS
Tours: Legoland Florida park
Concerns: Traffic, noise, lighting, wastewater treatment, water, access, pedestrians
Positive highlights: Florida officials said $1 billion economic impact over 5 years; Legoland involvement in community life, events
Negative highlights: Height of rides, rear storage area appearance, suggested fire protection review, need for buffer

Source: Planning Board report

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby storms555 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:13 pm

Even though I am an adult im a kid at heart and I kind of wish Chicago would get a Legoland in a way. I mean a REAL Legoland not just the one thats only in one building at a mall....I never been to a Legoland but it would be kind of cool to go one day. Looks like a neat place to go:)
:airtime: =) :airtimer: yay rollercoasters!!! :b

Postby larrygator » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:37 am

Legoland New York takes another huge step towards realization. The town of Goshen's planning board approved a zoning exemption for Legoland as a "commercial recreation facility" to bypass a long-standing law against amusement parks in Goshen.

http://www.recordonline.com/news/20170803/goshen-planning-board-oks-zoning-for-legoland-theme-park

Goshen Planning Board OKs zoning for Legoland theme park
By Richard J. Bayne
Times Herald-Record
Posted Aug 3, 2017 at 11:46 PM Updated Aug 3, 2017 at 11:46 PM

GOSHEN — The proposed $500 million Legoland New York theme park took another step forward Thursday when the town planning board voted its OK of a local law that would permit what the town is calling a “commercial recreation facility” on the site where Legoland’s developer wants to build. The vote was 5-0 with one planning board member, Diana Lupinski, recusing herself.

Thursday’s planning board vote approving a zoning exception constituted a recommendation to the town board, which has the power to make that change. The town has a law on the books that prohibits amusement parks. For the project to proceed, the town board would have to grant the exception for Legoland. It would also have to approve a zoning overlay to permit commercial development.

Some in the town, including planning board Chairman Lee Bergus, have argued that the proposed Legoland park wouldn’t fit his definition of an amusement park, because it would be geared to children ages 2-12. “By my definition, it’s not an amusement park,” Bergus said in a telephone interview before Thursday’s meeting. “It isn’t a Six Flags, it isn’t a circus. It’s a recreation theme park, and that’s what they’re doing.”

On Thursday, town attorney Richard Golden said he’s been trying to find out exactly how that amusement park prohibition came about in Goshen. The measure the planning board approved included a provision adding 100 feet of buffer in a perimeter around the 522-acre site.

Merlin Entertainments, Legoland’s developer, wants to build the park on 150 acres of a 522-acre site off Harriman Drive, near Route 17′s Exit 125. The park, which would draw up to 2.5 million annual visitors, has been controversial in the town. The proposal has pitted economic development proponents against opponents concerned about traffic, quality-of-life, water and environmental issues.

Thursday’s session came the day before the town planning board’s deadline for the public to submit comments on Legoland’s Final Environmental Impact Statement, which the planning board accepted July 20. That deadline for comments is 5 p.m. Friday, as the planning board moves to the next phase in the state-mandated review — a Findings Statement. The address for Town Hall is 41 Webster Ave. in Goshen. The planning department’s email address is nhalloran@townofgoshen.org.

On Thursday, Bergus said the Findings Statement could be ready as soon as Aug. 17. That Findings Statement would list any measures Legoland must take to mitigate any potential negative effects identified in the environmental review process.

Once the town board finishes its work, the focus would shift back to the planning board, which would then move toward site plan approval and permits. Pending approvals, Merlin would like to start construction this year and open the park in 2019.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:34 am

This is really exciting news. While I don't see us going there all that often since we're absolutely not the target market it's still crazy to think that we'll have a major theme park right in our backyard.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:39 am

I've never been to a Legoland since they're always near parks like Disneyland or Disney World, but I'd definitely try this one. I mean I make an annual trip to Story Land after all.

Have the Legoland parks have the Chuck E Cheese's rule (aka if you're over 18 you must enter with someone under 18)? Boston got a Legoland Discovery Center a few years back but added thaf rule from the start.
Top 5 Wood- Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Balder, Voyage
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Shambhala
Top 5 Parks- Europa Park, Cedar Point, Disneyland, Phantasialand, Knoebels

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!