TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Tracking coasters ridden

Hello Everyone!

I looked and could not find a thread about this. I apologize if one exist. I know many of us use websites like http://www.coastercounter.com and http://www.coaster-count.com to keep track of our coaster tallying. I use both actually. However, I have been thinking lately I would like to create my own list via excel or other means. I like the idea of creating my own format as well as I do not always trust the internet and these sites could go down at any minute. Losing all of my tracking.

What ways do you all keep track? I have thought about creating a list - In this list I would have the park name, its location, open/closed/SBNO and the coaster name. I am not concerned with much else. I am open to any ideas though.

Thank you!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just Excel for mine. I have a year by year list with ride counts for each park I visit that year and the another worksheet in the same workbook that I keep an overall total on.

I use Excel, I have 1 spreadsheet for Dorney, 1 for Great Adventure and a 1 for other parks. Dorney and Great Adventure have their own spreadsheets since I keep total ride amounts for those 2 parks because I visit them so frequently.

Yup, Excel is the way to go. That way I always have a 100% accurate count according to my methods. My main list is my coasters in approximate (in many cases exact) chronological order. I also have a lot of random nerdy subpages: various rankings, park visit dates, manufacturers, coasters in the US I need, and parks I feel are worth visiting.

I use both websites, too, but recently started using CoasterCounter in a different way. I use Coaster-Count for my most accurate count, even though it refuses to let anyone count relocated coasters as credits (you can track them in multiple locations without counting). Since CoasterCounter is a wiki, I could keep a 100% accurate count, but I've sacrificed that for something better! Now I only track my quality coasters there, based on the most recent Mitch Hawker ballots: all woodies except second sides of non-dueling racers, and any unique steel coaster, plus one example of any grouped ride. It's much easier to rank them there without having to wade through everything I don't rank.

Libre Office Spreadsheet with my Ubuntu.

Off course counting clones as they can be quite different. Vekoma Boomerangs can have old Arrow/Vekoma trains but also new trains by Vekoma with vest or by SAT with lapbars which are quite an improvement.

^ Nice! You aren't alone, my friend.....and it's nice to know I'm not the only one who still uses it!

CG is what I used when I really started getting into the hobby, and the simplistic nature of it kept me using it ever since. They also "count" pretty much dead on to how I do, including the rarity of just counting a racing coaster (where the layouts are essentially the same) as 1 credit (which is what I do.....i.e., I only count Lightning Racer as 1 credit. I realize that I may be in the minority, but oh well).

I have thought about bringing the data over to Excel as well, just in case these sites go belly up at some point. I need to get on that.

Laura I love all of your detail

And that was after I tried to edit it down. That's what too much coffee does to me!

i Wish they had some coaster counter App

CoasterCounter actually has an iPhone app. It is a paid app, but I apparently found it worth buying! And Coaster-Count has a handy simplified mobile site you can save to your phone. The icon for it is quite amusing...

When I did keep an accurate count it was excel all the way. I also used and still do coaster-count. It is not an accurate count but I love the map feature that shows where coasters that still need to be ridden are. When I travel on business I check it out to see if there are any coasters close by that I can get to in my free time.

Android users can also download Auto Ride Count. I have not used it in any parks yet but it is supposed to know which park you are in and bring up the coasters in that park. You can also add them manually.

I use a google excel sheet (since I can access it anywhere from any computer.)

Good idea because then I can access from anywhere. Thank you! I should have known this my BF only uses Google docs for everything.

For the past few years I've been using a very detailed spreadsheet which I downloaded from somebody on a forum (probably this one). It's probably not ideal for people who have been on 100+ rides, but it's a pretty impressive piece of work and gives some cool info.

I'll attach it for anybody who wants to give it a try -- this is the one I'm currently using, which is a little bit broken down after years of ignored macros and workarounds (notably the counts for visits to a particular park and total rides in a park visit are both broken, you have to manually update them). It still works well though, and it shouldn't be too hard to pick it up for yourself, especially for those of you who are closer to the beginning of your coaster riding career.

Also, if anybody happens to know where I found this spreadsheet and can point me to it I'd love to get a copy of the original again!

Coaster SpreadSheet Good (1).xls

Ride Tracking Spreadsheet

Originally, I just used coaster-count.com and a word document (when I started counting, I could barely use excel). However, over the years I've thought of new ways to group coasters and I now keep track of them in the following Excel documents (in addition to coaster-count):

-Spreadsheets with coasters listed alphabetically, by year, and by my personal rating (1-10 to the nearest 0.1)

-Spreadsheet with every park I've visited and all the coasters in the park ranked best to worst

-Spreadsheets grouping coasters by state (this one is restricted to major coasters and has lap counts)

-Manufacturer spreadsheets, where each manufacturer gets a sheet with all their coasters I've ridden sorted by model and then ranked

-Mitch Hawker spreadsheet to make filling out the ballot easier

-Spreadsheet of my rankings compared to the Mitch Hawker rankings

I also have a dark ride spreadsheet, flume ride spreadsheet, and general park spreadsheet to keep track of those. Is all this overkill? Definitely. Do I enjoy doing it? Absolutely.

I keep track with just a Word Document. It's not very fancy, but it gets the job done since I don't add rankings, year ridden, or any details like that like some people in this thread.

^I actually did just like you but this thread reminded me of coming up with something a bit "fancier" so I created an Excel sheet (with the year ridden but not much, really)

I used to keep an two Excel spreadsheets (one for Steel, one for Wood) listing the following info:

Steel

Coaster Name, Park, Manufacturuer, Last Date/Month Ridden, Type of coaster (I had about fifteen columns with categories like Invert, Suspended, Flying, Family Coaster, Mouse, Kiddie Coaster, Powered, I would put an x in any box that was relevant. So, a Family Invert would have an x in both the Family and Invert columns.

This way I could easily sort to see easily determine the number of B&Ms, or number of inverts, or number of powered coasters, what ever I needed

Wood

Coaster Name, Park, Coaster Company, Ride Designer, then I added a column where I could asterick the side friction coasters to track how many of them I rode.