Tracking coasters ridden

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Re: Tracking coasters ridden

Postby PhantomNick » Thu May 08, 2014 7:38 am

^ Nice! You aren't alone, my friend.....and it's nice to know I'm not the only one who still uses it! ;)

CG is what I used when I really started getting into the hobby, and the simplistic nature of it kept me using it ever since. They also "count" pretty much dead on to how I do, including the rarity of just counting a racing coaster (where the layouts are essentially the same) as 1 credit (which is what I do.....i.e., I only count Lightning Racer as 1 credit. I realize that I may be in the minority, but oh well).

I have thought about bringing the data over to Excel as well, just in case these sites go belly up at some point. I need to get on that.
I would rather be off riding coasters!

Steel Top 5 - (1) Skyrush (2) Intimidator 305 (3) Millennium Force (4) Phantom's Revenge (5) Apollo's Chariot
Wood Top 5 - (1) El Toro (2) Phoenix (3) Voyage (4) Ravine Flyer II (5) Shivering Timbers

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby alilstronger » Thu May 08, 2014 7:52 am

Thank you everyone for your feed back.

Looks like I need to start an excel spread sheet.

Laura I love all of your detail :)

I am going to check out Coaster Grotto now ;)
I may not know everything about coasters... what I do know is they are my life...

Favorite Steels: Maverick, Millennium Force, Sky Rush, Talon, Poltergeist, I-305
Favorite Wooden: Iron Rattler

TPR Trips: Northeast 2011, LeviaTHON 2012

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby urzishra » Thu May 08, 2014 8:25 am

I use a google excel sheet (since I can access it anywhere from any computer.)

Donkey eat mullet pump.

Postby thepoint4life23 » Thu May 08, 2014 10:32 am

I use that site to. i Wish they had some coaster counter App

Postby cal1br3tto » Thu May 08, 2014 12:05 pm

alilstronger wrote:Laura I love all of your detail :)

And that was after I tried to edit it down. ;) That's what too much coffee does to me!

thepoint4life23 wrote:i Wish they had some coaster counter App

CoasterCounter actually has an iPhone app. It is a paid app, but I apparently found it worth buying! And Coaster-Count has a handy simplified mobile site you can save to your phone. The icon for it is quite amusing...
113 wood+501 steel=614|Boulder Dash|Coaster|X2|Maverick|Phoenix|Twisted Colossus|Storm Chaser|iRat|Kawasemi|NTag

Starbucks Enthusiast

Postby gisco » Thu May 08, 2014 12:48 pm

When I did keep an accurate count it was excel all the way. I also used and still do coaster-count. It is not an accurate count but I love the map feature that shows where coasters that still need to be ridden are. When I travel on business I check it out to see if there are any coasters close by that I can get to in my free time.

Postby alilstronger » Thu May 08, 2014 1:27 pm

Android users can also download Auto Ride Count. I have not used it in any parks yet but it is supposed to know which park you are in and bring up the coasters in that park. You can also add them manually.

urzishra wrote:I use a google excel sheet (since I can access it anywhere from any computer.)

Good idea because then I can access from anywhere. Thank you! I should have known this my BF only uses Google docs for everything.
I may not know everything about coasters... what I do know is they are my life...

Favorite Steels: Maverick, Millennium Force, Sky Rush, Talon, Poltergeist, I-305
Favorite Wooden: Iron Rattler

TPR Trips: Northeast 2011, LeviaTHON 2012

No Discernible Talent Whatsoever!

Postby King of Ka » Thu May 08, 2014 2:04 pm

For the past few years I've been using a very detailed spreadsheet which I downloaded from somebody on a forum (probably this one). It's probably not ideal for people who have been on 100+ rides, but it's a pretty impressive piece of work and gives some cool info.

I'll attach it for anybody who wants to give it a try -- this is the one I'm currently using, which is a little bit broken down after years of ignored macros and workarounds (notably the counts for visits to a particular park and total rides in a park visit are both broken, you have to manually update them). It still works well though, and it shouldn't be too hard to pick it up for yourself, especially for those of you who are closer to the beginning of your coaster riding career.

Also, if anybody happens to know where I found this spreadsheet and can point me to it I'd love to get a copy of the original again!
Coaster SpreadSheet Good (1).xls
Ride Tracking Spreadsheet
(144.5 KiB) Not downloaded yet

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby rcdude » Thu May 08, 2014 2:19 pm

Originally, I just used coaster-count.com and a word document (when I started counting, I could barely use excel). However, over the years I've thought of new ways to group coasters and I now keep track of them in the following Excel documents (in addition to coaster-count):

-Spreadsheets with coasters listed alphabetically, by year, and by my personal rating (1-10 to the nearest 0.1)
-Spreadsheet with every park I've visited and all the coasters in the park ranked best to worst
-Spreadsheets grouping coasters by state (this one is restricted to major coasters and has lap counts)
-Manufacturer spreadsheets, where each manufacturer gets a sheet with all their coasters I've ridden sorted by model and then ranked
-Mitch Hawker spreadsheet to make filling out the ballot easier
-Spreadsheet of my rankings compared to the Mitch Hawker rankings

I also have a dark ride spreadsheet, flume ride spreadsheet, and general park spreadsheet to keep track of those. Is all this overkill? Definitely. Do I enjoy doing it? Absolutely.
Top 5 Steel: Bizarro (SFNE), Nitro, Apollo's Chariot, Maverick, Banshee
Top 5 Wood: Boulder Dash, El Toro, Thunderhead, Gold Striker, Lightning Racer
Top 3 Parks: Holiday World, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Cedar Point
TPR Trips: IntimidaTour 2010, North East Trip 2011, LeviaTHON 2012, Mini Tours 2014 (New Hotness & East Coast)

Postby XII » Thu May 08, 2014 2:36 pm

I keep track with just a Word Document. It's not very fancy, but it gets the job done since I don't add rankings, year ridden, or any details like that like some people in this thread.
Just because yours is smaller doesn't make you less of a man. Unless we're talking about your brain.
http://www.incrediblecoasters.com

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!