TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Mystery Russian Togo.

Recently a new ride was added to the RCDB called Actpo Kometa (Astra Comet) which is at a park called Maviland in Samara, Russia. The ride drew my attention because it appears to be a clone of the Togo stand-ups that can be found in America and Japan. However I have no evidence either way that it is a Togo or a knock off.

It runs a sit down train which while odd is not unique as the Star Jet at Washuzan Highland also runs one (albeit backwards).

The fact this ride has flown under the radar for so long is in itself interesting. And it appears to have a bit of history as the rides control booth caught fire in February 2012. The ride has since been fixed and is running again and both On and Offride videos of the ride can be found

and

Below is a collection of picture I have dug up of the ride. The question is is it really a Togo? and if so was it relocated? I suspect it is a Togo since if it looks like a Togo and has the layout of a Togo it probably is a Togo. But I can't be sure, anyone have any ideas?

Sources: VHCoasters via Samara KP & Travel Drom

Edited by Gutterflower

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

KD's Shockwave has a painfully slow lift, but this thing looks like it barely tops 1 mph. You can also catch a glimpse of the restraints in the on ride video around 0:33, they look very strange to me. Also, the cables along the lift look pretty sketchy, that is, not like those seen on Togo standups (or at least not on KD's Shockwave).

Someone pointed out that King Kobra at Kings Island closed in 2001. This rides first sighting was 2002.

Is there a possibility it's the same ride? just with new cars.

Jesus Christ, that would be quite a thing if it does turn out to be true, a coaster presumed scrapped since 2006 has been secretly operating under our noses for years....

King Kobra was visible from several rides at Kings Island for years after its removal so it definitely isn't it. Unless the information on when this mystery coaster opened is incorrect that is.

King Cobra's trains were visible for years. But was the track?

Edit: A quick look at the coaster's RCDB page/pictures answers "yes."

Can anyone say anything about the sit down trains? You can see what looks like colored tape of sorts on the restraints at 0:33 in the video. Not 100% sure what Togo sit down trains look like.

True those doesn't look like the normal Togo restraints, the padding may be something that the park itself have done, pipe insulation and sticky tape is a simple solution when you don't have the proper part to replace it with. The thing that strikes me most though is the similarities to the Arrow Horsecollar instead of the normal Togo one with square corners at the bottom and strange bends in the middle.

Also on another note, I doubt that it's a clone by some company, since the only Togo that we know of with that strange trick track at the end is King Kobra and it was in the US so no Chinese company could have copied it. If it's not the late King Kobra with new trains, then the only two known Togo coasters that it could be would be the unknown indoor loopers at the defunct parks: Fantasy Dome Seiro and Fantasy Dome Kishiwada.

BTW, how do you know that the ride was built in 2002?

Can anyone say anything about the sit down trains? You can see what looks like colored tape of sorts on the restraints at 0:33 in the video. Not 100% sure what Togo sit down trains look like.

True those doesn't look like the normal Togo restraints, the padding may be something that the park itself have done, pipe insulation and sticky tape is a simple solution when you don't have the proper part to replace it with. The thing that strikes me most though is the similarities to the Arrow Horsecollar instead of the normal Togo one with square corners at the bottom and strange bends in the middle.

Also on another note, I doubt that it's a clone by some company, since the only Togo that we know of with that strange trick track at the end is King Kobra and it was in the US so no Chinese company could have copied it. If it's not the late King Kobra with new trains, then the only two known Togo coasters that it could be would be the unknown indoor loopers at the defunct parks: Fantasy Dome Seiro and Fantasy Dome Kishiwada.

BTW, how do you know that the ride was built in 2002?

We don't that's just its first sighting. Its possible its been there longer its just difficult to tell.

Sky Rider at Canadas Wonderland also has the trick track but the point stands.

I think its highly unlikely its King Cobra since it was sat in storage at KI for so long. But It is possible its one of the Fantasy Dome rides (I've looked them up before with no luck, Found a video of the non looping one at the other Fantasy Dome but that's it).

Also possible its an original installation. I guess we'll never actually know without someone at Togo to ask.

Just thought it was an interesting ride though

• 3 years later...

Sorry for digging this up 3 years later but there is shock horror an update

It has always troubled me that it clearly came from somewhere and didn't originally come from Maviland which opened in 2002 but I've never been able to track down where.

Today a lot of searching and a fair bit of luck lead me to discover the ride's original location.

The ride originally operated in the Russian city of Tula at the sweetly named Metalworkers' Palace. The ride operated from the early 1990s until 2000 when the ride shut down and was eventually moved to Maviland either in 2001 or 2002. Metalworkers' Palace also closed itself in 2003 following a fire and now sits home to a sports complex.

Below are a couple of pictures of the ride operating in Tula during its final season in 2000.

46437241_TulaTogo.PNG.fbc9cc3de48d8dc9c41cd2b9d0836ed0.PNG

45528762_TulaTogo2.PNG.1a49afbc3d985446e361aaec09bb1969.PNG