Wildfire - 2016 Kolmarden Rocky Mountain Woodie Announced!

All I can say is OMG! WOW!!!!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Wildfire - 2016 Kolmarden Rocky Mountain Woodie Announced!

Postby robbalvey » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:00 am

Kolmarden Announces "Wildfire" - The world's BEST wooden roller coaster!
Europe's FIRST Rocky Mountain Construction wooden roller coaster!
Wildfire teaser shot_smaller.jpg
Viewed 19445 times

Top speed: 113 km/h (70.2 MPH)
Track length: 1,300 metres (4,266 feet)
Height: 57 metres (187 feet)
First drop: 49 metres (160 feet) with an 83 degree angle
Inversions (travelling while upside down): 3
Air time moments (sensation of weightlessness): 12 times (4 with negative G)
Ride duration: 120 seconds
Capacity per hour: 960 people/hour
Seats per train: 24 people
Height restriction: 120 cm (47.2 in)
Build by: Rocky Mountain Construction
Designed by: Alan Schilke

Wildfire POV:

YouTube Videolink

NOTE! This POV video is for layout purposes only! A new, better POV video will be provided by the park soon!

Teaser Video & Fred Grubb discussing the construction:

YouTube Videolink

Stream from the Press Conference:

YouTube Videolink

Press Release:
08/04/2014

Kolmården BUILDS the WORLD'S BEST WOODEN Roller Coaster
This summer, work will begin on Wildfire, the world's best wooden roller coaster. Thanks to new technology Wildfire’s pushing the limits of what was previously possible. Once it is officially opened in the spring of 2016, it will be Scandinavia's fastest and tallest roller coaster and the fastest wooden roller coaster in Europe. The investment totals SEK 110 m.

At the top of the first climb, you are 132 metres above the blue waters of Bråviken bay, with a fantastic view over Kolmården's beautiful scenery. At the crest, the view suddenly gives way as you plunge 49 metres down toward the bottom of the ravine at an 83-degree angle in free fall. Your speed will pass 110 km/h as you approach the start of the next ascent and enter an 'Inverted Zero G Stall'. You are weightless! The train speeds onwards through the woods along the 1.3 kilometre track. Wildfire races between the treetops and the sensation that the laws of physics are being broken continues right up to the end.

"For a long time, our goal has been to build the world's best roller coaster at Kolmården. The challenge has been to develop a world class roller coaster that blends in with the extraordinary landscape and the park's atmosphere. This has finally been made possible thanks to modern technology. We are delighted that this dream can finally be realised," says Johan Tidstrand, principal owner of Parks and Resorts.

Wildfire, which will open at Kolmården in the spring of 2016, belongs to the new generation of wooden roller coasters. The ride is being built using new, patented technology that is revolutionising and pushing the boundaries for wooden coasters. The first roller coaster to use the new technology was built in 2013 at the Silver Dollar City theme park. Wildfire will be the first roller coaster of its type outside the USA. The result is a 57 metre high, 1.3 kilometre long track with a maximum speed of 113 km/h, three inversions and 12 airtime hills (4 with negative G). Wildfire will also be quieter than wooden roller coasters in general.

"We have taken some of the best elements of the world's best roller coasters, added new ideas and created a unique ride. The result is Wildfire, a ride with so much air time, action and intensity that it has no equal. The two-minute ride through Kolmården's dramatic terrain high above the waters of Bråviken bay, will make it the world's best wooden coaster," says Peter Osbeck, Ride Manager at Parks and Resorts.

The investment in the new attraction amounts to SEK 110 million. Wildfire is being built using Swedish lumber.

"Wildfire, along with the other investments at the park, is being built in order to develop Kolmården as one of Sweden's top destinations. By continuously expanding the park, Kolmården will become an even better destination and we can attract more visitors. This will enable us to reach out to more people with our public education initiatives," says Mats Olsson, CEO at Kolmården.

The name Wildfire has a strong link to the natural and cultural history of the area. Wildfires helped to shape the landscape and have been critical to the unique biodiversity that has been preserved in the area until this day.

Wildfire is built by Rocky Mountain Construction. They will build the entire attraction including the trains. The track and trains are both their own patented designs. The trains for Wildfire will be custom designed. Vekoma, Rocky Mountain Construction’s European agent, is responsible for the power and control systems. The track design and layout is made by Alan Schilke, one of the world's best coaster engineer.

Wildfire will open in 2016.

Concept Photos:
wildfire_close4.jpg
Viewed 19445 times

Wildfire teaser shot_smaller.jpg
Viewed 19445 times

Wildfire_wide1.jpg
Viewed 19445 times

wildfire_close1.jpg
Viewed 19445 times

wildfire_close2.jpg
Viewed 19445 times

wildfire_close3.jpg
Viewed 19445 times

Ride Logo:
wildfire_wide2.jpg
Viewed 19445 times
wildfire_logo_1k.jpeg
Viewed 19445 times
wildfire_screen1.jpg
Viewed 19131 times
wildfire_screen2.jpg
Viewed 19131 times
wildfire_screen3.jpg
Viewed 19131 times
layout.jpg
Viewed 19114 times
Last edited by robbalvey on Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:18 am.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Re: Wildfire - 2016 Kolmarden Secert Project

Postby willthegolfer » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:05 am

Nice! The next couple years are already shaping up to be big years for the amusement industry.
Top Five Steel- 5.Sheikra 4.Kumba 3.Cheetah Hunt 2. Raging Bull 1.Montu
People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."
Wishlist Top 6-Outlaw Run, NTAG, I-RAT, Skyrush, Helix, El Toro

Did my donkey title just change???

Postby Ap0ptosis » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:09 am

Did they tell you anything about when the details will be released? A week? a year? :b

Postby DirkFunk » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:09 am

Well, at least we know where it's going.

:pencils in Scandinavia for 2016:

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:12 am

Hopefully I will have made enough money in 2015 to go on a TPR Scandi Tour in 2016! Super-exciting!
Check out my portfolio on Carbonmade! January 29 - new update!
I wrote the book about NoLimits. Check it out on Amazon!
Like the Penn State Theme Park Engineering Group on Facebook!

Books are dumb

Postby Loefet » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:13 am

Ap0ptosis wrote:Did they tell you anything about when the details will be released? A week? a year? :b

According to the site http://wildfire.kolmarden.com/countdown
Then all will be known on the 8:th of April, so just a couple of weeks to go.

Kolmården is really shaping up to be a kick A$$ family park with this pace.
They already have a massive "Bamse" themed area going in for next year.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:14 am

I will tell you that this is the kind of project that we would "drop any plans we had and make a trip for." No question.

Books are dumb

Postby Loefet » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:16 am

^ That's sounds promising!! :b

Postby boardwalkbullet91507 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:18 am

Wow, this seems like a very interesting and revolutionary project. That dive into the ground at :35 has my mind going crazy with ideas. I can't wait to hear the plans; as impressed as Robb seems this has to be one absolutely amazing project!

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:19 am

I'm still not sure I believe this is actually happening! It's that amazing. When they told me their plans I was all "Wait, what? No. You're joking. This cannot possibly be real..."

But apparently it is!

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!