Dorney Park Zephyr Railroad

What is its track gauge?
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Dorney Park Zephyr Railroad

Postby Jackdude101 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:36 pm

I've searched high and low for the Zephyr's track gauge (space between the rails), but unlike many other park railroads where I could easily find this info, I can't for this one (probably because it's custom-built and not pulled by a steam engine). I also tried e-mailing Dorney Park, but of course, since it's a big corporate park, I never got a response.

Do you any of you guys happen to know the Zephyr's track gauge? It is probably 24-inch or smaller.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Re: Dorney Park Zephyr Railroad

Postby larrygator » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:56 pm

Jackdude101 wrote:I've searched high and low for the Zephyr's track gauge (space between the rails), but unlike many other park railroads where I could easily find this info, I can't for this one (probably because it's custom-built and not pulled by a steam engine). I also tried e-mailing Dorney Park, but of course, since it's a big corporate park, I never got a response.

Do you any of you guys happen to know the Zephyr's track gauge? It is probably 24-inch or smaller.

I don't know the answer, but if no one can help you here on TPR, I'd expect a quicker response with the question directed to a Dorney Park fan forum, than the Park itself.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Postby Jackdude101 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:57 pm

As a frame of reference, the Disneyland railroad and the Six Flags Over Texas railroad are 36-inch gauge, while the Lagoon railroad and the Canobie Lake Park railroad are 24-inch gauge.

Also, the other railroad at Dorney Park, the Cedar Creek Cannonball, is 30-inch gauge.

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby linearinduction » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:17 pm

Looks 15" or 16" Gauge to me.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Dr. M » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:43 pm

Yeah the Zephyr is tiny, possibly the tiniest park train I've been on (though Kneoebels' is pretty tiny as well). Funny, never thought I'd see this ride get its own thread. It's one of the oldest rides at the park, right? I love how it's so futuristic and streamlined, unlike most amusement park trains that are so antique-y.
-Dr. M

Postby Jackdude101 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:13 pm

Dr. M wrote: It's one of the oldest rides at the park, right?

Yeah, it was first opened in 1935. Ironically, most park trains you see that resemble steam trains (though are diesel underneath) operating today are younger than Zephyr!

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby DanM64 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:14 am

Knoebels' train is 24" gauge, and the Zephyr is a good bit more narrow than that. I'd guess the Zephyr is right around 16", but of course that is just a guess.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby rollerbee » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:38 pm

Anywhere between 7.5", 15" or 24". Without seeing it person or a picture with some scale, cant say for sure.

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby linearinduction » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:07 am

Knoebels has a 16" Gauge Crown and a Couple 16" Gauge S-16s.

Postby Jackdude101 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:16 am

After an exhaustive search for the Zephyr Railroad's track gauge, I decided to find it indirectly. In short, I have confirmed that the Zephyr Railroad's track gauge is 24 inches using the picture below.

I researched the exact height dimension of that orange Igloo cooler to the left of the tracks and found that it is 23.25 inches tall (source: http://www.target.com/p/igloo-10-gallon-seat-top-beverage-cooler-with-cup-dispenser/-/A-10281492#prodSlot=medium_1_0&term=igloo+10+gal+cooler). If you copy the part of the image with just the cooler and paste it horizontally over the tracks, it fits inside the tracks with about one pixel row to spare on each side. So, based on this analysis, we can infer that Zephyr Railroad's track gauge is less than one inch wider than the height of an Igloo 10 Gallon Seat Top Beverage Cooler, which equates to 24 inches. This is not surprising, as this is a very common track gauge for amusement park railroads, such as those using Chance Rides C.P. Huntington trains, which are all 24-inch gauge.

Feel free to tell me your opinion of this finding, and whether you think its genius, makes sense, or just nuts.
Zephyr Track Gauge Confirmation.png
Viewed 329 times

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!