Photo TR: Wet 'n' Wild Sydney

Checking out the world's newest waterpark
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I had sex with N-Tag before you did.

Photo TR: Wet 'n' Wild Sydney

Postby Jakizle » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:31 pm

I had the opportunity to visit Wet 'n' Wild Sydney a few weeks ago when I was visiting Amber in Australia. The park just opened on December 12th and we visited on the 27th (only day we had the chance) and enjoyed the park despite reaching capacity. It was brand new, so there was many growing pains and issues they have to sort out, but I will give them the benefit of the doubt. I'll explain throughout my photos :)

The park is located somewhat far from downtown Sydney, but is easily reached by public transport. You can normally take a North shore and Western line train from Central Station out west towards Richmond or Emu Plains and get off at Paramatta. This direct line (only a few stops) was under construction when we visited, so we had to take the Airport line down to Glenfield to transfer to the Cumberland line up towards Paramatta (about 1.25 hrs). From Paramatta the park offers a shuttle bus that runs continuously through the day, from an hour before park opening until an hour after park closing.

I'll continue with the photos!
IMG_4291.JPG
This is when you know you have arrived! The parking lot is small so make sure you get here early!
Viewed 6223 times
IMG_4294.JPG
The day starts off with the shuttle bus to the park! Awesome that they offer this free of charge.
Viewed 6223 times
IMG_4292.JPG
The park entrance. They were giving out wristbands in exchange for tickets at the turnstiles.
Viewed 6223 times
IMG_4295.JPG
The park does not currently have a ticket booth, and there was large line up in the temporary queue to buy day tickets. It took about an hour.
Viewed 6216 times
IMG_4296.JPG
This was the current ticket booth. They weren't able to process our gift cards here (not sure if this was their fault or our fault truth be told) but a manager was able to help us out inside the park after I flagged one down at the turnstiles.
Viewed 6223 times
IMG_4293.JPG
They did have these self service ticket stations, but they weren't ready to go yet.
Viewed 6223 times
IMG_4297.JPG
Once inside, we had to rent a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo for our bags since we were going straight to the airport after. Your wristband acts as your fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo key which is nice, but they were not working for anybody, so we all had to wait for an attendant to open and close our fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo each time. Once they get the kinks out this will be great! You could also load up cash and use these for food.
Viewed 6223 times
IMG_4298.JPG
Out front is the park map!
Viewed 6223 times
IMG_4299.JPG
We decided to head towards the Proslide complex first, as Amber has never been on a Tantrum.
Viewed 6223 times
IMG_4300.JPG
Wow, this was the line! And you haven't even got to the tower yet.
Viewed 6223 times
IMG_4302.JPG
Luckily the wait only took about 45 minutes. We rode the tantrum in the middle. It was really really good! Way better than the version at Aquatica here in Orlando. We also went back and did the "wave" slide (blue) later and loved it!
Viewed 6223 times
IMG_4303.JPG
Next door was a White Water racing slide, with both a "twisty" section and helix section. We opted to skip this as it had a huge line and we have done these before.
Viewed 6223 times
IMG_4304.JPG
Behind the racers however, were the looping waterslides!
Viewed 6223 times
IMG_4305.JPG
Looking back at the main Proslide Complex. It has the "wave" slide, the tantrum, and a tornado.
Viewed 6223 times
IMG_4306.JPG
I had never done the "looping" slide, so I decided to give it a shot! It had the smallest wait in the entire park (10 minutes or so).
Viewed 6223 times
IMG_4307.JPG
The good news is they give you these back boards so you don't feel the slide at all! However it was over really quickly and you don't really go upside down. It was like any other body slide after the trap door!
Viewed 6223 times
IMG_4308.JPG
The racers did actually have clocks that measure your time from top to bottom, to see who was really the fastest!
Viewed 6223 times
IMG_4309.JPG
Heading back towards the middle of the park is the beach area and wavepool.
Viewed 6223 times
IMG_4310.JPG
They did have nice shaded areas you could lay down under and you could rent cabanas for a fairly reasonable price ($89 for 2-4 people)
Viewed 6223 times
IMG_4311.JPG
Looking at the wavepool. Unfortunately the waves were really small and you can't go that deep in the water (only 1.5 meters)
Viewed 6223 times
IMG_4312.JPG
We were hungry at this point so set out on the search for food. It happens this is the main complex (and only complex) where meals are offered. The wait was about 45 minutes, but my personal pizza was actually pretty good. The other bummer is the very limited seating. There was a ton of small "stools" under the shaded area, but hardly any tables.
Viewed 6223 times
IMG_4313.JPG
The park does sport a pretty big sky coaster and it was fairly price (35-20 bucks based on how many people) and it was really popular all day.
Viewed 6223 times
IMG_4314.JPG
They also had this strange giant grass area with a random shade structure towards the back. Room for expansion?!?
Viewed 6223 times
IMG_4316.JPG
In the back of the park is the huge White Water structure! It has the tantrum style slide, an enclosed slide, 4 master blaster slides, a half pipe, and a twister slide (far right). We did the master blaster and were fairly let down as it has just one uphill section and 2 drops until it's over. We then did the twister slide and it was pretty typical. We skipped the tantrum and half pipe style slides as we did their counterparts on the Proslide complex.
Viewed 6223 times
IMG_4317.JPG
Temporary queues set up for the White Water complex. Also took about 45 minutes here.
Viewed 6223 times
IMG_4318.JPG
The park also sports and up charge, Australian made flow rider. As you can see, the prices were actually pretty fair.
Viewed 6223 times
IMG_4319.JPG
No one was riding when I did my photo lap, but it was pretty cool because it creates a wave tunnel like you always see in surfing videos.
Viewed 6223 times
IMG_4320.JPG
The parks signage was pretty neat, and points us towards the lazy river.
Viewed 6223 times
IMG_4321.JPG
I have to say, I'm not a fan of the lazy river being off to the side all by itself. I love waterparks where the rivers weave in and out of the rides and go through the entire park!
Viewed 6223 times
IMG_4322.JPG
Even though the park was at capacity, a large section of the lazy river was shut off. Regardless, still refreshing!
Viewed 6223 times
IMG_4324.JPG
The last structure is another complex of Proslide family style slides. The left is a double BOWLSeye, the midde is a quick slide with a double drop (we did this one) and the far right is a twisting style slide.
Viewed 6223 times
IMG_4325.JPG
The last section of the park is a kids area, featuring a pretty cool mini tornado!
Viewed 6223 times
IMG_4326.JPG
They also had a little kids river area.
Viewed 6223 times
IMG_4327.JPG
Overall the kids area has 14 small slides for the little ones to enjoy.
Viewed 6223 times
IMG_4328.JPG
The only other area to get snacks was this snack stand by the front of the park and the fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo. There were typical theme park style stands around the park, but this was the only "permanent" structure.
Viewed 6223 times
IMG_4329.JPG
Amber guards our bags and we are ready to go after a long day in the sun!
Viewed 6223 times
IMG_4330.JPG
The exit! I will also say the tiles used for the walkways can be quite painful and hot, so some sort of water footwear is recommended
Viewed 6223 times
IMG_4331.JPG
We did notice that in the gift shop they sold these bands that can also be used for fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo, cash, and act as your season pass. So for those that come frequently, you could literally come to the park with just one of these and be able to do everything!

Thanks for reading and leave your comments/questions below :)
Viewed 6223 times

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Re: Photo TR: Wet 'n' Wild Sydney

Postby azza29 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:23 pm

Great photos! Both the Proslide and WhiteWater towers look fantastic, and the kids area seems pretty solid as well (especially the mini tornado!). I agree that the lazy river looks a bit sad - the greenery definitely needs some time to "grow in". It seems like most of the issues this park is experiencing at the moment are your typical "brand new park" problems, with some parts clearly not 100% ready. Hopefully the park will sort themselves out once the summer rush is over and get the fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo/ticket/wristband infrastructure all fixed up.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:29 pm

Thanks for the look at the world's newest water park, Jake. The lack of a ticket booth is interesting. Are they building one?
Last edited by cfc on Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:30 pm.

I had sex with N-Tag before you did.

Postby Jakizle » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:37 pm

^No idea!

azza29 wrote:Great photos! Both the Proslide and WhiteWater towers look fantastic, and the kids area seems pretty solid as well (especially the mini tornado!). I agree that the lazy river looks a bit sad - the greenery definitely needs some time to "grow in". It seems like most of the issues this park is experiencing at the moment are your typical "brand new park" problems, with some parts clearly not 100% ready. Hopefully the park will sort themselves out once the summer rush is over and get the fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo/ticket/wristband infrastructure all fixed up.

Yeah, once they get everything sorted out I'm sure things will get much better. It just doesn't seem able to handle the big crowds it's going to draw. At least for the sake of the park I hope it continues to get big numbers coming in.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby mattnz » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:51 pm

Thanks for sharing. Hope the park sorts out their 'teething problems' soon.

Your review of the looping slide nails it! It's over so quickly you don't notice you're going upside down (which you don't really do anyway!).

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby 6flagsbrad » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:24 pm

Man it looked packed there. They have a great selection of slides though! Thanks for the great pictures!

I don't always seduce Donkeys, but when I do I use classy Champagne!

Postby _koppen » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:09 am

What an awesome photo report!
I still don't understand how they can build a brad new huge park without a play structure!

It also seems like they should of built more slides. After all they are projecting that this park will get 900 000 visitors every season. They also sold 150 000 season pass, so there will be a lot of people in the park on most days, and popularity will probably not slow down after the first season. Hopefully they will do a Calypso Water Park, and expand big time, right after the first season.
Nr 1 Liseberg and Gröna Lund fanboy!
Piraten is *the* roller coaster (after finally riding Expedition Geforce, I'll admit, it was pretty freaking awesome to!) .

MUST BUY RMC MERCHANDISE!!!!

Postby gerstlaueringvar » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:41 am

Wow! This is a very nice water park! Thanks for the TR, Jake!

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby Mrlittle » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:18 am

Looks like they already need to expand. The park water slides look great but it does look like the park maybe open a little to early. It could just be, they weren't expecting that kind of business at first. Hopefully they can work out the kinks.

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio. Wishing I was in Brisbane, Australia.

Postby PKI Jizzman » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:52 am

It does look like an amazing park, but without an actual ticket booth and working fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo I'm surprised they opened the park. Honestly I wouldn't wait an hour to get into the park to wait an hour for the waterslides. Once they have things worked out, I would be happy to visit! The Wet n Wild in Brisbane is pretty epic, so I know this one is right up there.

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!