TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Norway's Viking Adventure Park delayed to 2019 or 2020

Just some quick news from today. They are hoping to have the financial plan ready by the end of this month, with the financing completed by Christmas. They are still looking for someone to run the actual park, and they are looking for someone with a lot of international experience of running similar themeparks.

Planned date for opening is still unknown.

Link (Norwegian only):

http://tvh.no/2015/05/26/vikingland-finansieringsplan-sluttfort-i-mai/

My view is still the same, I'll believe it when I see it...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey - put me in for a "mute" Viking character in the park!

(I will learn Norwegian as I go along...)

Art concepts look great. And I thought I saw a 3rd smaller coaster at the

bottom of the "aerial map" of the park, a page back.

IMG_6418.JPG.1e18120184586dbc68f6fe5993a6b90d.JPG

Hey - I'm Game of Thrones-ready for being in a Viking park! (PNE GoT Exhibition, Aug.2014)

I would hire you instantly, no further interviews required. And forget about the Norwegian part, as long as you can sit there with a mug of beer in your hand and make grumbling noises that will be sufficient!

Nrthwnd: Such an awesome picture!!

They estimate that there will be 300 000 guests visiting a year.
The estimated project cost is 57 553 484 USD
Interesting. A planned investment of $192 per projected first-year guest is very high, getting into Disney territory. Magic Kingdom was $193, DCA $234, Epcot $322 (source). So this should be quite the intricately themed park, should it come to fruition.

I would hire you instantly, no further interviews required. And forget about the Norwegian part, as long as you can sit there with a mug of beer in your hand and make grumbling noises that will be sufficient!

Deal!

And ejot^ thanks for the 'awesome' comment. I thought of bringing something "cloakish" along as well,

but decided you only had several seconds to get at least one good photo, with a lineup waiting. So I

just went with "looking it" and Thanks the Beings that Be, the lighting (and my friend taking the pic)

made this a pretty good shot. Even with the wrinkled shorts, the tank top, and an uneven tan, LOL.

1456038511_ResizeofIMG_6228a.JPG.c0b793c57dcf2c7bdbb388521381a2a8.JPG

And I am already "Wanted," in Tusenfryd Park! (TPR 2014 Scandi Tour)

Maybe this could be a tie-in to the new park? (o; "Last seen heading to....Viking Land."

• 10 months later...

There hasn't been much updates in the last year. However I came across a headline from yesterday in a local newspaper in that area, now saying that the park might be ready to open in 2020. Unfortunately the article is for subscribers only so I'm not able to read any more of it. Further delays was not the news I wanted, but as I have stated several times earlier I'm still skeptical about this project. I'll believe it when they actually start building the park...

Source

Google translate of the small part available without subscription:

Hotel director believe in Viking Land plans:

- This will provide an enormous boost to Sunnhordland

Viking Land in Sveio can be completed in 2020. The director of Stord Hotel, Martin Tveita, wish they welcome.

No news on the parks website, it still says they hope to have the financing ready by spring 2016 so that the park can open in 2019 (on the front page it still says 2018). But that has been on their website for a long time now...

Well, what's another...four years? I would like to visit this, when it eventually opens.

And as before, by the time I actually get there, I might be able to audition for any

....um...mute character parts, lol.

p.s. Does anybody out there have an actual contact address for this park's owning

company? I might just start the audition ball rolling, and then, who knows?

(EDIT: Found It, thanks!)

I might be right there during it's opening weekend, making gutteral noises at all of you!

Jeg er Tors eldste sidekick!

776317844_ResizeofIMG_6230.JPG.c0cb5766d5e1306976604465e8b830bd.JPG

from the TPR 2014 Scandi Tour Overnight Cruise, Stockholm to Helsinki.

My audition photo, heh. I was born to be Scandinavian and Viking....ish. (o;

I even got my buddy THOR on my t-shirt! Thanks, Tusenfryd!

And, just for now...

I got an email/answer to my inquiry about hiring for the park,

and although he appreciated my inquiry, the head guy told me

it would be another year, mainly continued finances raising,

before they would consider the actual running of the park, etc.

Cool. I thanked them, and said I'd reply back, "in a year or so."

VikingLand-Norway.jpg.9b39143f240cf753a646cb0e48e08937.jpg

A reminder of the artist's rendering of a future Viking park.

• 2 months later...
Curious. Is there any new news about how this project is, currently?

Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately not, it's been all quiet. I've been checking for news pretty much on a weekly basis for months, but I haven't seen anything.

• 4 months later...

Been to Tusenfryd twice in the last two years, and on both occassions the park has had some of the worst operations I've ever encountered. Not just here and there, but throughout the entire park. Not the fault of the ride operators, this is a management issue. This therefore makes me very concerned about how this park will be run. I'd love to be proven wrong though!

But to look on the bright side, at least we see that something is still happening. I've always said that my attitude towards this park is being built is "I'll believe it when I see it"...

Been to Tusenfryd twice in the last two years, and on both occassions the park has had some of the worst operations I've ever encountered. Not just here and there, but throughout the entire park. Not the fault of the ride operators, this is a management issue. This therefore makes me very concerned about how this park will be run. I'd love to be proven wrong though!

But to look on the bright side, at least we see that something is still happening. I've always said that my attitude towards this park is being built is "I'll believe it when I see it"...

They also run Mirabilandia, Movie Park Germany and Kennywood, I wouldn't worry too much

• 1 month later...

Well, the parks website has received a new look. Not a whole lot of news though, but opening date is now listed as 2019 or 2020 (the English text on the site has not been updated yet and still says 2018). Also the official name of the park is Thor's Rike, which means Thor's Kingdom.

http://thorsrike.no/en/

Welcome to Thor’s Rike, the largest theme park in Norway. Here you’ll find everything from thrilling rollercoasters to the experience of authentic viking raids. The park is designed by ITEC Entertainment Group, and is planned to be open by the spring of 2019 or 2020.

The latest news is a link to a recent interview with the project manager.

http://haugalandvekst.no/vikingland-gi-milliardinntekter/

– We are not building a playground. We are building a destination. “Thor´s Rike” wants to stop the thousands of credit cards travelling through our region to Stavanger and Bergen, and give them a reason to stay.

The rest of the article is in Norwegian only, but I can give a quick summary:

- Construction Step 1 will cost around 500 million NOK, 200 of these will be equity. They have 50 million NOK in place, and in the beginning of 2017 they will continue the work to aquire another 100 million. They will also sell land for the same amount to propery developers.

- All calculations confirms that the project will be profitable.

- They have been in contact with Disney and Universal regarding the design and construction of the park.

• 4 weeks later...

Good news!

The project leader is hoping the financing is ready by easter or at least by july. The future of the project have never been looking brighter than now. Not one of the companies asked for financing have declined. The earliest possible opening for the park is in 2020

Source (In norwegian and requires subscription)

• 1 month later...

New article in national news. Not a whole lot that we didn't know before in the article, it says that they are working to have 200 million NOK (23-24 million USD) in place by the summer in order to progress. No word on opening date, but it says construction start is planned in 2019. Based on that I guess a 2021 opening sounds most realistic, let's see.

Link: https://www.nrk.no/hordaland/norsk-fornoyelsespark-vil-bli-verdas-vikinghovudstad-1.13410714

• 5 months later...

Well, it's been quiet for a rather long time, but the project isn't dead. Yesterday they posted a presentation of where the park is intended to be.

http://thorsrike.no/her-skal-vikinglandet-ligge/

Not a whole lot of details about the progress of the park. It says that financing of the project is still ongoing, and that they now hope to start construction of the park in 2019. Based on that I guess we're talking about opening earliest in 2021. Given that the project becomes a reality that is, something which I'm far from convinced about.

• 2 months later...