Skyplex Orlando Discussion Thread

P. 82 - Full POV Finally posted!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Skyplex Orlando Discussion Thread

Postby robbalvey » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:50 am

Hey everybody!

This thread is simple! Rather than having a million little threads about everything that goes on at Skyplex, this thread is designed to consolidate it all into one user-friendly thread. Feel free to use it to post updates, trip reports, questions, comments, and of course, general discussion. For pictures and videos of the park as well as past updates, see TPR's Park Index (LINK COMING SOON).

Skyplex's Official Website

Below are some links to past updates from the park, you may be interested in. Enjoy!

--Robb

November 23rd, 2013 - World's Tallest Roller Coaster Announced for Florida (See Post Below)

May 30th, 2014 - Polercoaster confirmed to be located in Central Florida
June 2nd, 2014 - Polercoaster to be built on the intersection of Sand Lake Road & International Drive in Orlando, FL
June 5th, 2014 - "The Skyscraper at Skyplex" details announced!
March 21st, 2014 - "The Skyscraper at Skyplex" video posted!
November 17th, 2014 - "The Skyscraper at Skyplex" POV video posted!

February 12th, 2015 - SkyFall, World's Tallest Drop Tower coming to Skyplex; Intamin manufacturing Skyscraper and SkyFall; Mango's Orlando construction update
March 4th, 2015 - Updated layout Skyscraper POV video posted!
March 13th, 2015 - New zipline attraction, new open air promenade and grocery chain announced for Skyplex
March 21st, 2015 - Mango's Tropical Cafe Orlando interior concept art released

This was a pretty big announcement at IAAPA. We will know more details in the next couple of weeks, but at the moment, here is what we know.

Height: 525 feet
Length: 8,000+ feet of track
Builder: US Thrill Rides/S&S

Check out this video:
Last edited by robbalvey on Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:00 am.

Beneath the sign that said "U-haul"

Re: World's Tallest Roller Coaster Announced for Florida!

Postby Subject_12 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:58 am

I guess I'm the first to see this! (maybe?) All I can say is that this is one of he most obvious yet most clever ideas I've seen.
I like stuff because reasons.

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby Aceattack52 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:18 am

Height is great, but I would really prefer a more intense experience like TTD or Kingda Ka. My guess is that this is going in at Universal.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:20 am

I think it's a very intriguing concept--a good way to combine and shopping/dining complex with a thrill ride.

Starbucks Enthusiast

Postby gisco » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:41 am

Brassinthegrass wrote:just a thought...

is the coaster 525ft tall, or is the structure 525 feet tall...

looking at the size of that observation deck at the top, that looks like a large discrepancy...

It is possible that the coaster could pass through the observation structure making it the full height. In any case it will be the tallest coaster in the world.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Moose » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:43 am

That is a long coaster. I wonder how much of that track length is taken up by what looks like a spiral lift.

Portugal needs more old-school B&M's!!!

Postby rcjp » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:57 am

^And, as far as I know, it was the launched coasters that gave them the most problems, right? At least I don't remember them having issues with the el loco models which this ride seems to follow.
The Mr Freeze coasters should have speakers playing the sentence: "Let's kick some ice!" right before each launch

What does one say after riding a Batman clone?
The G force is strong with this one.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Mrlittle » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:40 am

I'm a fan of S&S Rides so when they announced this, I was really happy. Ive heard the contract was signed on the ride but I'm still wondering what kind of time frame we are looking at. I mean not just because of its height but also it's one of the first to be built. It's going to be interesting to follow the construction on this. I was thinking Miami would of been the location but now I kind of think it would be cool near a beach town like Fort Walton. I mean obvious choice is Orlando on I-4 but a 525 foot coaster sells itself.

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby darklingscribe » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:47 am

Looks really cool, I only hope that going BIG with their first two coasters of this model (essentially prototypes) doesn't come to haunt them with unforeseen problems like building X did to Arrow Dynamics.

Also just to point this out, the direct link to the announcement video from TPR's front page isn't working for me.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Moose » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:12 pm

Mrlittle wrote:I'm a fan of S&S Rides so when they announced this, I was really happy. Ive heard the contract was signed on the ride but I'm still wondering what kind of time frame we are looking at. I mean not just because of its height but also it's one of the first to be built. It's going to be interesting to follow the construction on this. I was thinking Miami would of been the location but now I kind of think it would be cool near a beach town like Fort Walton. I mean obvious choice is Orlando on I-4 but a 525 foot coaster sells itself.

I think it was almost two full years of construction.

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!